Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What I learned today

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What I learned today

by Jenise » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:32 pm

If it works in Wisconsin it would work here. I need that spinach! (Funny that I've never seen it here, though.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:00 am

New Zealand spinach, also native to Australia, is known here as warrigal greens and as noted has a tendency to take over the garden! It has good flavour and very versatile..it is recommended to at least blanch to neutralise the oxalis acid.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:12 am

Hi Barb, I was surprised to read that, as I do not think my aunt ever did that and lived to be into her 90's. I know I did not do it either, I washed it well, removed the leaves, and always cooked it then ate as regular spinach. I liked it much better than spinach actually, and am looking forward to my next crop, as I enjoy adding fresh greens to some of my dried bean recipes, and I think this will work well with some of the beans we enjoy. Do you grow it, or use it in your cooking?
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:04 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:Hi Barb, I was surprised to read that, as I do not think my aunt ever did that and lived to be into her 90's. I know I did not do it either, I washed it well, removed the leaves, and always cooked it then ate as regular spinach. I liked it much better than spinach actually, and am looking forward to my next crop, as I enjoy adding fresh greens to some of my dried bean recipes, and I think this will work well with some of the beans we enjoy. Do you grow it, or use it in your cooking?

Karen, perhaps I was imprecise, e blanching. Cooking achieves the same thing. It is probably only an issue if one were to eat vast quantities of uncooked warrigal.
I use it likewise as an alternative to spinach, I have a friend who can t find his garden for warrigal greens, :lol:
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:01 am

I can relate to that, when I had my crop it took over an entire raised bed that was 8ft long and 3 ft wide. Sure is a pretty plant, and fun to watch.
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:42 pm

I learned that today is National Coffee Day. Various places are offering free brew, if you're going out might want to check out. Seems Starbucks has free coffee, but must bring reusable cup.

Whatever. Not worth it to me to make a special trip, but YMMV.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:54 pm

I am a big fan of Starbucks the company--and a grateful stockholder--but not so much their coffee. I do go from time to time but I prefer the mellower coffee of another local chain. However, said local chain is super religious (they fired a single female employee when they found out she was pregnant), so I divide my business between the company I admire and the coffee I prefer. That said, such visits only occur once every couple of weeks when we're out and about in the afternoon. At home I never drink more than the one morning cup which I drag around for about two hours and rarely finish.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

by Pat G » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:31 pm

I have found Starbucks to be inconsistent. And their coffee is usually way too strong for me; I don't need jitters. So I ask for 1/4 regular, 3/4 decaf. Usually that is fine. But I approach with caution. Most of the time, it's just green tea for me.

When we used to travel, we favored local brews for the experience. And coffee beans can be packed in carry-on luggage. Doesn't weigh much, either. So a good take-home treat.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:28 pm

Ditto re Starbucks. Sometimes the coffee's acrid as if the beans were seriously burnt beyond the stage that earned them the nickname 'Charbucks'. We only ever get one drink, and we share it, always the same: 16 ounce triple nonfat Capp.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:36 am

Jenise wrote:Ditto re Starbucks. Sometimes the coffee's acrid as if the beans were seriously burnt beyond the stage that earned them the nickname 'Charbucks'. We only ever get one drink, and we share it, always the same: 16 ounce triple nonfat Capp.

They over-roast their beans because their beans come from all over, which makes consistency difficult. So almost burning them evens things out.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:58 pm

It's as if they just throw whatever leftovers they have around into the grinder.

Thought of Pat when I saw this meme on Facebook just now:

IF YOU REPLACE
YOUR MORNING COFFEE
WITH GREEN TEA,
YOU WILL LOSE 87%
OF THE JOY IN YOUR LIFE

But don't take that to mean I'm not a fan. I love green tea, but Bob can't drink it. Strangely, it gives him nightmares.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:27 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:They over-roast their beans because their beans come from all over, which makes consistency difficult. So almost burning them evens things out.

Interesting explanation. I have a different one: There are only so many good coffee beans in the world yet, as if by magic, about 30 years ago (approx.) suddenly there were coffee shops everywhere -- Peet's, Starbucks, Tim Horton, Dunkin' Donuts, and a milion million more. That means a lot of second-best beans were getting used, and to give a second-best bean any flavor, you roast it dark and hope for the best.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:46 pm

It might be a West Coast/East Coast thing. Both Peet's and Starbucks started on the West Coast and they both burn their coffee. Dunkin' Donuts, which started in New England, doesn't roast their beans anywhere near as darkly.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:56 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:It might be a West Coast/East Coast thing. Both Peet's and Starbucks started on the West Coast and they both burn their coffee. Dunkin' Donuts, which started in New England, doesn't roast their beans anywhere near as darkly.

-Paul W.

I don't believe it's an east/west thing. Like McD's, they're the same everywhere.

We recently got some Dutch Bros. coffee shops. Haven't tried them yet.

For a decent, not hoity-toity cup of java, I usually pick up a cup at McD's. Much easier on the wallet, too.
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

by Pat G » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:12 pm

As for Peet's, Dear Husband had symptoms of intolerance, for lack of a better term, when friends gifted us a few bags years ago. I rather like their Major Dickason's and rarely have that; both regular and decaf available. But I don't bring it home.

We've had decent luck with a few from TJs and Costco. I always mix mine as half regular max and the rest decaf.

McD's can be decent if fresh-brewed. Years ago, we stayed at Mandalay Bay in Vegas. They had a Starbucks in the lobby. Of course, prices marked up. I walked over to the next interconnected hotel Excalibur or Luxor and they had McDs. They sold so much coffee it was always fresh. And when I got back to Mandalay Bay I had many inquiries as to where the McDs was. Had to be willing to, duh, walk to do coffee "slumming". Worth it to me. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:06 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:We recently got some Dutch Bros. coffee shops. Haven't tried them yet.

I was startled to hear the stock recommended on CNBC last week, the stock just IPO'd and it doubled in a day. It was touted as being from the Pacific Northwest and having legions of fans who won't drink anything else.

Well, yeah PNW but I've personally never seen one north of Seattle, so haven't been to one. They're always that little hut in a parking lot, strictly drive-thru, and thick on the ground around Tacoma. I was shocked to learn they're big enough to go public let alone earn comments like that.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:40 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:They over-roast their beans because their beans come from all over, which makes consistency difficult. So almost burning them evens things out.

And gives them a distinctive taste that isn't drowned in a latte, as one Starbucks exec explained to a guy with a blog called Overthinking Life on medium.com.

I do love my coffee, and I have one preference that overrules all others: Ethiopian beans. I love the winey, cherry, chocolate flavors of properly roasted (no more than medium) Ethiopian. I'm currently working my way through a variety of African beans I ordered from Moore's Coffee in Ventura California, long a favorite roastery that I turn to frequently and have for about 20 years. I have a thing for peaberry beans, which they often have. Moore's was actually recommended on this site by a guy named Randy Buckner, who some of you may remember. ALL their roasts are light to medium. They don't even believe in dark roasts unless it's expressly for espresso.

Recently a local coffee roasting business started up in my town. Once Canlis restaurant in Seattle ordered from them and for awhile they were at least as famous as Asian Murder Hornets. :) I would only buy medium roasts. Some beans I otherwise like when roasted medium they insisted should be roasted dark, like Sumatra. The customer wasn't always right. So be it, I only bought the Bali and Guatemala. They roasted the beans in an old barn in back of their house on a small primitive roaster Derek got from somewhere which only roasted two pounds at a time. Then he got a bigger, fancier roaster from Italy that had considerably more output. Not sure how many pounds at a time but once the new roaster arrived, the medium roasted beans tasted, to me, overrroasted. The chocolate and wine nuances were obscured by something I didn't like, so I pretty much quit buying from them. Since then I find myself just trying different Ethiopians from various other local roasters. Or, like I just did, ordering from out of town.

Life is hard when you're so picky.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:11 pm

I buy many cans of Costco's 100% Colombian coffee for everyday brew. And I have a small roaster that I use occasionally (green beans last pretty much forever) so I can roast to the roast I prefer (French roast). I once had a bag of Italian light roast that I found incredibly insipid. :|
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:00 am

Funny, Jenise. I also like peaberry coffees but I am not a fan of African scents; I much prefer Central American beans.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:23 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:I don't believe it's an east/west thing. Like McD's, they're the same everywhere

I meant in terms of what part of the country the company started in. Both Starbucks and Peet's got their start on the West Coast. Dunkin' Donuts got its start in New England. As the chains went national, they retained the roasting preferences of their regions of origin.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:15 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:Funny, Jenise. I also like peaberry coffees but I am not a fan of African scents; I much prefer Central American beans.

I get that. Moore's (the Ventura outfit) New Guinea Peaberry was my first coffee supercrush, and in fact my distant memory of it has a lot of similarity to the Ethiopian I love so much--when I get a good one.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:35 pm

Today, as in just now, I discovered frozen Korean leek pancakes. Bought them at H Mart a few weeks ago when I needed something frozen to keep some meats I purchased cold. WOW are these good. OMG.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:55 pm

We are huge fans of both styles of Ethiopian coffees although prefer the intense floral aromas and notes of the unwashed Harrar beans over the washed beans of the Yirgachefe and Gugi zones. The coffee roaster Colectivo in Wisconsin is our source of beans. They obtain an incredible variety from farmers and cooperatives from around the world and do a superb job of roasting. Never burned.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:59 pm

Made a double-batch of coq au vin tonight using a variation on Julia Child's recipe. Very good result, dark and fragrant, with silky meat.
PreviousNext