Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

FLDG Challenge: Prepare a dish from the year you were born

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: FLDG Challenge: Prepare a dish from the year you were b

by Barb Downunder » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:35 am

Foods “invented “ in 1953, gets better. From lists Jeff linked us to I can add cheese whiz and instant iced tea to the tater tots. Dinner sure is lookin’ good. :lol:
Oooooj. I can add Swansons frozen turkey dinner,! And stretching a couple of years I can add green bean casserole (apparently this still appears at Thanksgiving tables?)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:07 pm

When were home pizza kits first marketed? These contained flour, a packet of dried yeast, and a can of pizza sauce. You mixed up and kneaded the dough, rolled it out, put on the sauce and any cheese or toppings you wished, then baked it in your oven. Chef Boy-Ar-Dee and Jeno's were two brands I remember. They disappeared when the technology for frozen pizza was developed.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:05 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:When were home pizza kits first marketed? These contained flour, a packet of dried yeast, and a can of pizza sauce. You mixed up and kneaded the dough, rolled it out, put on the sauce and any cheese or toppings you wished, then baked it in your oven. Chef Boy-Ar-Dee and Jeno's were two brands I remember. They disappeared when the technology for frozen pizza was developed.

The Chef Boyardee pizza kit, made by the Boiardi family, went on sale in 1955:
http://www.grandvoyageitaly.com/cucina/ ... -pizza-kit

It is still made today, though it has changed a bit:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chef-Boyarde ... z/10308555

Nice short history of the family:
https://www.npr.org/2011/05/17/13639804 ... f-boyardee
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:22 pm

Jeno's goes back to the same era, though I can't find anything as exact:
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/1385679 ... pizza-mix/

Jeno Paulucci is a force of nature. An article in Inc. Magazine from 1986 says he's 67 (then), moved to Florida from Minnesota, and is still hard at work. He is responsible for Chun King products, which he sold to R.J. Reynolds, who killed it. He then founded Jeno's line of Italian goods, which he sold to Pillsbury, who killed it. And on and on:
https://www.inc.com/magazine/19860601/37.html
Last edited by Jeff Grossman on Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:22 pm

Finally, everything old is new again... and again... and again...
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12398
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:07 pm

Swiss Steak is teed-up for tonight!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:15 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:Swiss Steak is teed-up for tonight!

Is chipped beef (aka sh*t on a shingle) later in the week....? :twisted:

I think that is in period too.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:19 pm

Jeff, we loved it and have been craving it ever since. I am truly grateful to have discovered via this process that the dish I spent my life hating was an aberration and the dish it really is/can be is something I adore. I do highly recommend sirloin tips aka thick tri-tip slices over rump or any of the traditional 'tough cuts', but all the same: beef + tomato + onion with no further embellishment is a magical combination and that old joke about shoe leather applies--cooked that way, they would be good too. Next time I might throw in a few dashes of cayenne pepper, though. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:42 pm

I bought a very pretty top round roast, cut it into 6 slices, jabbed them a while with a serving fork :twisted: and proceeded as Alton Brown suggests: dredge and brown, then long simmer with tomatoes, fennel (no onion in this household!), celery, and a handful of add'l seasoning.

I also threw in a carrot because I like carrots.

ETA: And that was really yummy! A lean, and therefore tough cut of beef, but good enough cut into steaks and simmered for 2.5 hours. Great sauce. Served with some simply sauteed vegetables and, in Barb's honor, little red potatoes pan-fried in the last of my goose fat.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:25 am

Bill Spohn wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:Swiss Steak is teed-up for tonight!

Is chipped beef (aka sh*t on a shingle) later in the week....? :twisted:

I think that is in period too.

I like SOS.

Tonight, I made cornmeal mush and scrapple to fry up tomorrow morning for breakfast (which will also have fried eggs). Luckily, it didn't take too long to find my manual meat grinder, which is a 1955 vintage Rival Kitcheneer Meat grinder/salad shredder. Still works great
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:58 pm

Hurray, two satisfied customers on Swiss Steak! Interesting prep with all the vegetables. The recipe, from an insurance pamphlet printed in 1953 I found inside Bob's mother's cookbook, only specified tomatoes and onions, though an optional carrot was mentioned. Love carrots but didn't want to turn my dish into a stew--the onions would melt and I pictured a gloriously smooth sauce because I used tomato sauce instead of whole tomatoes. And that IS what I got. Loved it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:09 pm

Make that three. I had Swiss steak a couple of weeks ago, the second time this year.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:48 pm

Last night, harkening back to an earlier post in this thread, I made Slumgullion, aka Beefaroni. The sauce was a simple quick sauce of ground beef, allowed to stay in large clumps because that makes fun bites, 1.5 onions, garlic, pureed tomatoes and fresh tomatoes seasoned with black pepper, Mexican oregano and red chile flakes. This simmered for about half an hour and then was combined with giant sized rotini (like 1" x 4", Italian import, found at Grocery Outlet, never seen anything like them before) and baked until the sauce returned to bubbling and the rather thick layer of parmesan I put on top had turned the pasta edges crusty. Wonderful!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:06 pm

How does this differ from American chop suey (aka Johnny Marzetti)?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:39 pm

I'd say they're cousins, but mine's the city cousin (lighter, more onions, more spice) vs. Johnny's country cousin (the dish originated in Columbus, Ohio). A JM would typically be under a thick layer of cheddar cheese, just for starters. And I wouldn't even call mine a casserole so much as a pasta dish that was finished in the oven just long enough to turn the parmesan into a crust.
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:28 pm

I was born in the first half of the 1950s, in a small Australian country town. Some of my earliest memories of food feature my mother's much-valued pressure cooker. In particular, I remember a spaghetti in cheese sauce that she used to make for lunch. (My father didn't like it so it never appeared at dinner.) I don't have a recipe but from memory it involved breaking the spaghetti down into 3 to 4 inch lengths, and putting them in the cooker with a heap of grated cheese (Kraft processed cheddar), some milk, and I think a spoonful of Coleman's mustard powder. There might have been some cornflour or butter involved too but I'm not sure. Then, the lid would be screwed on and the thing was cooked in minutes. I also remember that I liked it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:26 am

Matilda, that's the first time I've ever heard of cooking pasta in a pressure cooker. What an interesting thought. What was the texture like?

Btw, on a similar note, the other day I was scrounging for something to make for lunch. In 35 years of marriage I have never once made Kraft mac n' cheese, but in the last two years I did buy two boxes as emergency rations. A chance reminder that cream of broccoli and cheddar soup is a thing, and knowing I had a bunch of broccolini in the produce drawer caused me to consider the possibility of a lunchbowl wherein Kraft M&C would be combined with chopped oven-roasted broccollini. So I made it. And we loved it.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:12 pm

My mother often made mac and cheese, but always from scratch, never from a Kraft box. I wasn't a big fan.

One oddball dish I was fond of in the 1960s was teriyaki burgers. Some food company whose name I can't recall sold packets of teriyaki seasoning. You mixed this, and canned bean sprouts, into your ground beef, formed them into burgers, then pan-fried them as usual. The result had that teriyaki soy/ginger taste and some crunch from the bean sprouts. Apparently the concept wasn't popular because the seasoning product was discontinued.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:32 am

Paul Winalski wrote:My mother often made mac and cheese, but always from scratch, never from a Kraft box. I wasn't a big fan.

One oddball dish I was fond of in the 1960s was teriyaki burgers. Some food company whose name I can't recall sold packets of teriyaki seasoning. You mixed this, and canned bean sprouts, into your ground beef, formed them into burgers, then pan-fried them as usual. The result had that teriyaki soy/ginger taste and some crunch from the bean sprouts. Apparently the concept wasn't popular because the seasoning product was discontinued.

-Paul W.

Mac and cheese didn't appear at our house at all. My introduction to the Kraft stuff came at the behest of someone I babysat for before she discovered that I could cook from scratch. I made it for the kids--and liked it! Authentic scratch versions I ran into afterward were largely disappointing--overcooked pasta, grainy sauce. Me no like.

I laughed at your teriyaki burger. And I don't shop that department myself so don't know, but I'd bet that a form of powdered teriyaki still exists. Have you looked for it?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:51 pm

No Kraft mac & cheese in my youth, either. Not quite sure why. I doubt Mom would have had any objections to it. (We had Spaghetti-Os and Chef Boy-ar-dee and all that.)

My only guess is that it is a residual Jewish thing: unless Dad specifically declared that we were having a dairy dinner, Mom did not use milky products in the meal prep or at the table. This was not iron-clad, for example, we had butter on baked potatoes but sour cream was "for goyim". I think it was just a habit leftover from her mother, who made a half-hearted effort to keep kosher. (Grandpa Dave, however, could not have cared less so Grandma Rose was not always successful in her endeavors.)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:19 pm

The mac and cheese that my mother used to make was just that--macaroni and cheese and milk, baked in a casserole dish. That would have qualified as dairy kosher, wouldn't it? Curious that sour cream would be considered "for goyim".
no avatar
User

DanS

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm

by DanS » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:37 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:My mother often made mac and cheese, but always from scratch, never from a Kraft box. I wasn't a big fan.

-Paul W.

My mother always made Mac & Cheese from scratch. Probably a result of having 8 kids and not a lot of money. Although I like it (maybe not when she put a can of tuna in it) It was mostly mac and not a lot of cheese.

One of here specialties (OK, actually two) was "pork and Noodles. Recipe is simple One bag of egg noodles, one can of peas, one can of Pork (this pork was USDA pork given to low-income families), and one can of gravy. No one ever cared for the peas and my brothers dog who got leftovers always left them in the bowl (there's your sign).

The second dish my mother did well was "Lamb Fritters". My siblings were deeply divided on this. You either loved them or hated them. I loved them and decided that fate had given me the perfect mate when Katie did also. They are basically pancakes with poached lamb.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:31 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:The mac and cheese that my mother used to make was just that--macaroni and cheese and milk, baked in a casserole dish. That would have qualified as dairy kosher, wouldn't it?

Yes.
Curious that sour cream would be considered "for goyim".

And butter not! That's why I said it was "residual" - not something they actually thought much about.
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:04 am

Matilda, that's the first time I've ever heard of cooking pasta in a pressure cooker. What an interesting thought. What was the texture like?

I haven't eaten it in more than fifty years, so I don't think I could possibly give a truthful comment. All I remember is, I liked it and ate it happily, so I guess the texture was ok. Kids don't like things that are too tough or too sloppy.
PreviousNext