Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Jenise » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:56 am

Paul, a long time ago a friend and I made our own chili oil from a recipe in Barbara Tropp's China Moon cookbook. We simmered chiles, garlic, ginger and black beans together. It was like the best thing ever for both of us, and we left the oil on the chunky stuff instead of straining it off, and we used the chunky stuff on dumplings and the like, thinking we were such renegades because who did that? Chile Crisp, though possibly centuries old practice in some areas, was not yet a thing in American Chinese as far as either of us knew (and she's Chinese).

Not cooking at home tonight!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:14 pm

I make my own Sichuan chile oil, which is simplicity itself--just hot vegetable oil (I use peanut oil) poured over dried red chile flakes and then left to steep as it cools. Ginger, garlic, black beans, etc. are welcome additions if you wish. The Sichuanese use vividly red chiles to get that nice red color. Tien Tsin chiles (Penzeys has them) give good heat, and you can get the color by throwing in a New Mexico or Kashmir chile or two. I keep the oil on the sediment. Some Sichuan recipes call for the sediment as well as the oil. About the only way you can go wrong in making it is to have the temperature of the oil too high so that the chiles scorch and burn.

One of my favorite Chinese restaurants (Full House in Burlingame CA) has chile oil with sediment and black beans as a table condiment. I've see that in other places, too, although plain chile oil is more common in Sichuan restaurants in the US.

-Paul W
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:39 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:I make my own Sichuan chile oil, which is simplicity itself--just hot vegetable oil (I use peanut oil) poured over dried red chile flakes and then left to steep as it cools. Ginger, garlic, black beans, etc. are welcome additions if you wish.

I've also always made my own chile oil.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:17 pm

A picture from a trip to China in 2014. This was an open storefront in a market in Chong Qing. The grey-black contraption in front of the lady is a chile grinder, producing the coarse and fine grinds displayed on the table:
https://public.fotki.com/jeffg165/vacat ... -4047.html
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:12 pm

The boneless, skinless chicken breasts I bought came in a two pound package. One pound went into the chicken in Lao Gan Ma black bean sauce I made the other day. The other half goes into tonight's gong bao (kung pao inr old-school transliteration) chicken.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:56 pm

Yesterday, I put half an organic chicken into a zip lock bag, with olive oil, fresh garlic, rosemary sprigs, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, soy sauce, salt and pepper and it has been marinating. It will get roasted tonight on a bed of San Francisco Sourdough Baguette bread. I will also add two purple carrots, cooked whole during the end of cooking time. I love their color.
A potato salad, new to me, is baby red and yellow potatoes, grilled corn cut off the cob, red and yellow cherry tomatoes, young green onions sliced, fresh basil, dressed with a fresh lemon vinaigrette. I also picked up a beautiful batch of rainbow Swiss Chard, which will be sautéed and drizzled with pineapple vinegar.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:59 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:A picture from a trip to China in 2014. This was an open storefront in a market in Chong Qing. The grey-black contraption in front of the lady is a chile grinder, producing the coarse and fine grinds displayed on the table:

Wow, I wonder how she works around all those spices without a mask. I refill my cayenne pepper, or red pepper flakes, and it sends me into a sneezing fit. Great picture.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:08 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Great picture.

Thanks. It was a very interesting trip.

That chicken sounds good, and the potato salad, too!

Is the pineapple vinegar sweet like a sauce or sweet-sour?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:26 pm

It is actually pineapple juice and brown sugar fermented to vinegar. Not sweet, but tangy just like regular vinegar, a hint of pineapple, a Rancho Gordo product.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:47 pm

Going to a wine party tonight, theme is Sparkling White. I'm making duck-pate stuffed mushrooms (individually wrapped) baked in puff pastry. Another name for them could be individual beefless Wellingtons. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:59 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:A picture from a trip to China in 2014. This was an open storefront in a market in Chong Qing. The grey-black contraption in front of the lady is a chile grinder, producing the coarse and fine grinds displayed on the table:

Wow, I wonder how she works around all those spices without a mask. I refill my cayenne pepper, or red pepper flakes, and it sends me into a sneezing fit. Great picture.

You can actually get acclimated to it and not have to wear a mask.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:19 pm

Tonight I'm making stir-fried beef with garlic sauce. LOTS of garlic. Fresh rosemary, thyme and a bit of cream will be involved, and I'm going to serve it on parmesan couscous.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:08 pm

Tonight was pan-fried arctic char, sauteed bok choy with mushrooms and peppers, and polenta rounds sizzled in butter till golden brown.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:47 am

Oh wow, Jeff, lucky you, I love arctic char but it's nonexistent here--I have found it in Vancouver but south of there, almost never. That is, I saw it at Whole Foods--once. I presume it doesn't sell well because locals aren't familiar with it.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:02 pm

I'll be making a South Indian style mung dal tonight, accompanied by idli and lime pickle.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:02 pm

Paul, do you make your own lime pickle? I like it a lot, but favor mango (which I buy in jars).

Not cooking at home tonight; friends will be preparing blackened steak.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:21 pm

I've never made achar (Indian pickles) myself. I buy them in jars. The closest I've come to making my own achar is making Moroccan preserved lemons. Those would qualify as achar if they came from India.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:17 pm

Paul, speaking of Indian and knowing your love of Chinese food, feast your imagination on what a fusion of those cuisines would be like. There IS such a restaurant in B.C. owned by ethnic Chinese who grew up in India, IIR the details right, which I plan to go to REAL soon. Should be epic.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:22 am

Todays cooking involves, baby back pork ribs in a bath of soy sauce, little apple cider vinegar, fresh sage leaves, garlic powder, and a sprinkle of dark brown sugar. Lemon and Saffron Risotto which also has butter, chicken stock, parmesan and asparagus. My usual Saturday roasted veggies includes, Holland Red Chili Peppers left whole, patty pan squash, corn on the cob, cut into three chunks, whole garlic cloves, all will be coated with fresh garlic evoo, Mexican Oregano, and whatever tomatoes look like they need to be used.. Whatever veggies I have leftover from last weeks trip to Farmer's Market usually go into my choice for roasting. Last night I turned zucchini into noodles, and tossed with a great jarred Marinara Sauce I found that is great.
One day I watched the Dr. Oz show and they did a segment on jarred red pasta sauces. They talked about taste, ingredients, healthy and at the end Silver Palate Low Sodium Marinara Sauce won. Our market carries it in the healthy food section, and it is really the best I have tried. And I have tried many. In the summer, I make a lot of tomato sauce and paste which I can use to make different sauces. But sometime, you just want a quick, grab and very little cooking meal. I keep this in the pantry. I also found some decent, fully cooked, small meat balls that are great for meatball sandwiches, or pasta dishes with the Marinara and the good parm.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:05 pm

Friends are coming for dinner. I'm going to make BBQ chicken, which I started marinating last night. Kind of feeling the island stuff there, so maybe a fried rice. Maybe pineapple fried rice. Not sure.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:37 pm

I'll be making chao larou (Sichuan stir-fried bacon in bean sauces) tomorrow, this time with conventional thick-cut, smoked American bacon. This dish is almost the same as twice-cooked pork except that because smoked bacon is used instead of raw pork belly the initial parboil step is skipped. The bacon imparts a smoky quality not found in twice-cooked pork.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:00 pm

Going to a patio party today, rose wine themed. Will slow-roast a full side of skinless salmon then top it with a honey-lemon vinaigrette loaded with fresh herbs. Should be popular, as I expect we'll see a lot of salsa and chips kind of thing. Not everyone enjoys cooking.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:31 pm

Not cooking but dreaming about cooking. Coming up on 2 months of being at home with a pantry full of Spanish vermouths, wines and groceries purchased at Despaña Soho before leaving NY in May. Looking for a tapas menu, paellas ( remembering that tomato paella that we made last summer when the tomatoes were prime ), grilled lamb and anything with an Iberian vibe. Any suggestions appreciated.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:04 am

Baked a Swedish limpa bread with rye flour, cracked wheat (I used bulgar), cracked fennel seeds, and orange peel. Mm-mmm.
PreviousNext