Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Do you sous vide?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Do you sous vide?

by Jenise » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:34 pm

I don't very often, perhaps because of the hassle to set up the two machines required, one of which is the bagging device, which really isn't that big a deal (I just think it is).

But yesterday I decided to put four chicken thighs, bone-in, each wrapped around a sprig of rosemary, together in a water bath (one hour at 160) before crisping in a cast iron pan. I should do that more often, it's SO good. And OMG the skin.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

Re: Do you sous vide?

by Jim Cassidy » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:13 pm

I have been very happy with the results in a few different uses of my sous vide equipment. Using it has become SOP for a couple of things.

1. Steak. Start with a USDA prime NY strip or rib primal from Costco. Carefully transfer to a UMAi dry aging bag according to the instructions and refrigerator age 28-35 days. Cut into steaks and trim off the hard outside layer. Rub the steak in crushed garlic and put it in a Foodsaver bag with a dash of worcestershire sauce and a dash of hot sauce. Seal and place in a F126 water bath for 1-3 hours. Remove from the bag, pat dry, hit it with salt and pepper and sear in a very hot cast-iron pan. I think what I serve rivals the best you can get in a steak house, and it will never be overcooked.

2. 72-hour beef bourguignon. I use the Joy of Cooking recipe (earlier version with salt pork.) We liked it, but the meat turned out dry, which wasn't that bad because it is served in its sauce. Everything in the pool except the mushrooms for 72 hours at F130 produced the best I've ever had, with slightly pink, juicy meat. I once opened the bag and tried it after 48 hours, still tough; resealed it and put it back in for 24 more hours. Sealing the bag filled mostly with liquid was a challenge. I used a box as a platform for the vacuum sealer, left the bag on the counter, and guided the open end up to the sealer.

I've also done some one-time experiments that turned out well, including pork chops at F136 and 72 hour medium-rare short ribs.
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:48 pm

Jim, thanks. There are really three reasons to use sous vide: tenderness, infused flavor, or both. My greatest success has been pork loin--getting that perfect medium pink. I have done that and shaved a whole little roast (sliced thinly using a meat slicer) which is heavenly in the way it sits up in frilly little tufts--put whatever sauce or gravy you're doing underneath. I used it in place of veal in the Italian classic Vitello Tonnato and stunned a group of friends who couldn't believe it wasn't veal.

But I will admit I've been derelict about getting around to steak. I did a prime rib once that I didn't care for--I think it was too tender, almost jelly-like. Didn't love that. But I promise, at your urging I'll get around to it. Probably won't start with a whole primal though (no room for the extra meat in the freezer). Have you heard of using Koji rice to achieve, rapidly, the aging effect you describe? I bought a tub of the rice after getting fascinated by an article about it maybe 2-3 years ago and have yet to open it. I'll see if I can find that--I think you'd be interested.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:08 pm

I'm a big sous vide proponent, but generally don't do prime beef that way. If I'm doing say a Flannery strip or ribeye, much prefer reverse sear. Texture from SV not my fave. I do occasionally use when big backyard party, do a cooler with large packets of (choice)steaks, do most to 125, pull out and turn to 135 for 10-15 minutes for maybe a 3rd of them, sear all, gives a nice range from med rare to medium.

What I do love SV for:
thick heritage pork chops - can do medium rare and eat safely, so tender and so delicious. Absolutely no way to do this w/o SV that I know
chicken breast, infused to herbs. Jenise makes me want to try thighs- sounds great
carrots- whoa baby
duck breasts- not necessarily better, but fool proof for a party ( also a good way to easily "confit" legs
Salmon- same thing
Some things (steak, salmon, duck breast) I mostly use for group, can get similar results if just 2-4 conventionally
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:47 am

I don’t do this as often as I should but will try to be better.

One of the finest things in life is tourchon of fois gras cooked mi-cuit using sous vide!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:32 am

I looked at it for a long time, but decided I had enough play toys that were only used a few times a year, if that. However, eldest son has become quite a cook (I call him chef, cause it makes him smile) has all the equipment and brought it here on a couple of occasions. First time was salmon, and when I watched the procedure, I knew it was not for me, as I was soon to be a family of one. Plus, I was not that impressed. Can't recall what he did the second time. Now, I have a strict rule on what I order to add to my kitchen. :(
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:30 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:One of the finest things in life is tourchon of fois gras cooked mi-cuit using sous vide!

I've done torchon but it was before I got an immersion circulator. Still, easy enough to keep the temperature down and steady with the occasional dollop of ice. That all came back to me a few weeks ago when I was making sausage (as per a Jacques Pepin recipe). I didn't dig out the immersion stuff since it was only going to cook for an hour, but I did struggle a little to keep the temperature around 160. It wanted to creep up a bit.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:54 am

Just saw a post in another food group. Someone did scallops sous vide and was showing off a pic: 128 for one hour, then blow-torched for a bare modicum of color though they were obviously too wet to take much. Several thoughts: had to be overcooked, and a blow torch is no substitute for a pan sear. But more to the point: scallops are born perfect for a quick cook. Why spend an hour getting a lesser result?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:58 pm

Agreed. If you must fool around with them, do as Emeril Lagasse suggests: sprinkle a little sugar in with the flour when dusting them because it helps the sear to get nice and dark. 8)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:00 pm

yes, sous vide for scallops sounds like a (bad) answer searching for a problem.