Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Can anyone tell me anything about Morrison Wood?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Can anyone tell me anything about Morrison Wood?

by Bob Ross » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:29 pm

A friend mentioned he wrote a book of excellent wine related recipes, but for some reason I'm not finding a review today online.

Thanks, Bob
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Can anyone tell me anything about Morrison Wood?

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:03 pm

Bob, I'm not familiar with him, but pop "Morrison Wood" into an Amazon.com book search and you'll come up with several of his books. Most apparently published between 1950 and 1970 or thereabouts.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:06 pm

Thanks, Robin. For some reasons I didn't find any reviews -- I'll give it another try.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:59 am

Sorry I didn't see this immediately. I can tell you a fair amount about Wood. I cited him on this forum recently, in This posting. Alluding to an entry in the first cookbook, With a Jug of Wine (Farrar, Strauss, Giroux, 1949).

Well before amazon.com, a 1992 recommendation of Wood's two principal cookbooks is Here. (FYI, Robin, that posting is more representative of wine-newsgroup traffic over its active history, as I can demonstrate to your satisfaction if you're ever interested. Come and dine sometime and I'll tell you more. I can suggest a restaurant or two. Mark Lipton will vouch.) That 1992 posting also prompted an interesting query from Washington DC, from someone concerned with US cookbook history.

Beyond the two primary cookbooks (1949, 1956) there was a later follow-on travel book, and Wood also figures tangentially in mentions in other US food writing of the era, more on that if you're interested. I have multiple copies of his main books (they were in print continuously from the late 1940s through at least 1980 and are abundant on the used market). If you have any specific questions about them, please ask me here or by email.

Further cross reference: Before seeing this thread I responded to Howie's recent catsup recipe Thus.I was alluding to the fact that "Catsup" used to have wider meaning a couple of generations ago, it was a class of savory conserves very traditional in US -- onion catsup, mushroom, oyster, etc. (None, even tomato, had added sugar until relatively recently.) The classic 19th-century US cookbooks are full of recipes for them (the Hesses in the 1970s mentioned origins of the condiment as Malay, via Canton). Morrison Wood was one example that came to mind of books a couple of generations back with recipes calling for catsups other than tomato.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:10 am

Thank you Max -- that's plenty to go on. Regards, Bob