Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP /Foodletter: Gazpacho

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

RCP /Foodletter: Gazpacho

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:17 am

Gazpacho

If it seems that I've been on a one-note theme for the past month or so, blame what has proven to be one of the hottest summers on record in this part of the U.S.

August has brought us another month of unusually dry, extreme heat, with a record number of days over 100F in our town; and nobody I know is even <i>thinking</i> about firing up the oven for such autumnal goodies as roasts, fresh-baked bread or pizza until things cool down.

For today, though, let's stay on theme with yet another cool, refreshing summer dish that requires little or no cooking and that takes advantage of summer's bounty: Gazpacho ("Gahz-pah-cho"), the Spanish tradition that falls somewhere between a very thick cold soup and a salad you can drink or eat with a spoon.

Popular all over Spain - I've had wonderful gazpacho in Madrid and the Rioja region - gazpacho is really most at home in Andalusia, the region of Southern Spain that incorporates Seville, Granada, the Costa del Sol and the Sherry country. Just a short jump across the straits of Gibraltar from North Africa, this is a place known for sunshine and searing heat, and Andalusians have been creating cool summer antidotes like gazpacho for a very long time.

Gazpacho traveled across the Atlantic to the New World with Spanish immigration, of course, and nowadays it's just about as closely identified with California as Spain. It has evolved scores of variations over time, often dropping the bread that's a core ingredient in the European version; adding avocados and all manner of other produce; sometimes hot-and-spicy, often mild; sometimes made chunky, sometimes buzzed into a smooth puree.

At its heart, though, gazpacho's fundamentals are consistent: It's a cold soup based on tomatoes, with cucumber, onion and green bell pepper as customary supporting players. The addition of bread is much more European, and evokes a culinary link with Tuscan <I>panzanella</i> ("bread salad"), which could be irreverently described as a chunky Italian gazpacho too thick to drink.

Here's a fairly simple method that I believe comes reasonably close to the Andalusian original. Bear in mind that it's easy to tweak to your liking, so if you want to leave out the bread, add a dash of hot sauce (or several), leave it more chunky or blend it into an even smoother puree, or add or subtract other ingredients, be my guest ... and let me know how it went. Just keep the tomatoes, cucumber, onion and bell pepper as your key ingredients, and you can still credibly call it "gazpacho."

Inspiration for today's column came from a recent, ongoing conversation in our FoodLovers Discussion Group, which you're welcome to read and join in.

INGREDIENTS: (Serves two generously)

1 pound (480g) ripe tomatoes
1 small cucumber
1 green bell pepper
1/2 medium Vidalia or other sweet onion
1-2 cloves garlic
4 ounces day-old baguette or other European-style white bread
4-6 ounces (120-180ml) quality olive oil
1 ounce Sherry vinegar (or cider or white vinegar)
Cold water
Ice cubes
Salt
Black pepper
Additional tomato, cucumber and green pepper for garnish

PROCEDURE:

1. Keep in mind that gazpacho is one of those folk recipes that just about every cook makes his or her own with minor variations. Exact quantities aren't very important, but the primary presence should be tomato; use enough cucumber, onion and green pepper that these three ingredients together roughly equal the bulk of the tomatoes, and your dish should be fine.

2. I always start by peeling and seeding the tomatoes. You don't absolutely have to do this, but it makes for a more refined finished product, which in the Andalusian version should be a smooth near-puree. Meaty plum tomatoes are best for intense flavor and texture, but any good, juicy and ripe garden tomato will be fine. Peel the cucumber, onion and bell pepper and cut them into chunks; peel the garlic and mince it fine.

3. If the bread is crusty or stale, you may want to soak it in a little water to soften it, then drain off the water before using.

4. Put the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, bell pepper and garlic into a blender or food processor with the bread, about two-thirds of the olive oil and vinegar, and buzz it all into a fairly smooth puree.

5. Add salt and pepper to taste (and hot sauce if you wish, although in my experience you'll rarely see this in Spanish gazpacho, which gets just enough piquant character from the raw onions and garlic). Stir in a little cold water if it seems too thick (although thick is good). Put the gazpacho in a serving bowl, drop in three or four ice cubes, and refrigerate for an hour until it's very cold. Remember, this is food as air-conditioning.

6. While the soup is chilling, dice some tomato and chop additional cucumber, onion and green pepper fine. Set these out in small bowls so everyone can garnish their soup with these crunchy bits to taste. Croutons are good - it's quick and easy to cut more of your bread into cubes and toss them quickly in a skillet with olive oil and a little garlic until they're brown. For a more full meal, diced Serrano ham and diced hard-boiled egg are also traditional garnishes; and of course no one will complain if you add a crusty baguette on the side.

<B>MATCHING WINE:</B> This could be a tough match, particularly if you go the hot-and-spicy route. It should sing with a crisp, dry rosé, though (or for regional authenticity, a pink Spanish <i>rosado</i>). For even closer regional authenticity, try a fresh, young, bone-dry Fino Sherry or Manzanilla. A sparkling wine will work, and an off-dry Riesling or Chenin Blanc will get the job done.

<center>Subscribe to The 30 Second Wine Advisor's weekly FoodLetter</center>
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

Re: RCP /Foodletter: Gazpacho

by Bernard Roth » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:00 pm

Comment 1 is true, indeed!

At RR's offline/cookout, I served my traditional gazpacho with manzanilla, alvarinho and Bastide Blanche rose. There was something to be said for each possibility, but the manzanilla pairing was best.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:16 pm

It's a cold soup based on tomatoes...

Piffle. Try white gazapacho: almond milk and green grapes. Splendid.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:17 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Piffle.

Here, piffle <i>this</i>. :twisted:

Try white gazapacho: almond milk and green grapes. Splendid.

I'm sure it's delicious. But it's not what I think of when I think of gazpacho.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:40 pm

You're a wheezing, stiff-sided traditionalist poseur.

En garde!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:01 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:You're a wheezing, stiff-sided traditionalist poseur.

En garde!

Hold up, I've got to finish my white gazpacho first ...
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:05 pm

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:44 am

Okay, now for just a little bit more piffle: I'll agree that this sounds like a remarkable dish, and I could eat a bunch of it right now. But I don't think it's authentic Andalusian. Harrumph ...
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:14 pm

Robin Garr wrote:But I don't think it's authentic Andalusian.

Actually, it's a lot more authentic than the red kind. (Tomatoes are New World plants, you may recall. Andalusians were eating the white kind for far longer than the red kind....)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:36 pm

It's always chancey to agree with Jeff, Robin -- we love disagreeing with each other -- but ajo blanco malagueño -- often translated as "white gazpacho" -- was and still is based on almonds, bread, garlic, vinegar and oil. Peppers and tomatoes were added after 1500.

Delicious, and comes in a number of versions.

According to the OED, this is the first appearance of "gazpacho"in English: "1845 R. FORD Hand-bk. Trav. Spain I. I. 69 Gazpacho..is a cold vegetable soup, and is composed of onions, garlic, cucumbers, pepinos, pimientas, all chopped up very small and mixed with crumbs of bread, and then put into a bowl of oil, vinegar, and fresh water. "

Ford's book has been digitized by Google, and the section on gazpacho is wonderfully written; I don't have the skill to cut and paste the text, but I urge readers to take a look at his commentary here.

Sample:

"Any remarks on the Spanish salads would be incomplete without some account of gazpacho, that vegetable soup, or floating salad, which during the summer forms the food of the bulk of the people in the torrid portions of Spain. This dish is of Arabic origin, as its name, "soaked bread," implies. This most ancient Oriental Roman and Moorish refection is composed of onions, garlic, cucumbers, chilis, all chopped up very small and mixed with crumbs of bread, and then put into a bowl of oil, vinegar, and fresh water. Reapers and agricultural workers could never stand the sun's fire without this cooling acetous diet."

[Ford traces the dish to Greeks, Roman soldiers, even to Boaz offering it to Ruth in the Old Testament, and to Christ calling for it on the Cross.]

Ford continues: "In Andalucia, during the summer, a bowl of gazpacho is commonly ready in every house of an evening, and is not easily digested by strangers, who do not require it quite so much as the natives, whose souls are more parched and dried up, and who perspire less."

I love some of his phrases: "floating salad" and "parched souls", for example. Ford is an unfairly overlooked travel writer, and this book contains many wonderful passages.

Regards, Bob

Thanks Jeff for reminding me of Ford's book. B.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:42 pm

Bob Ross wrote:It's always chancey to agree with Jeff...

:!:

Thanks Jeff for reminding me of Ford's book. B.

Thank you for sharing it. A happy chance. :wink:
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:28 pm

White gazpacho sounds great.

Betsy made a (nontraditional) recipe that appeared in the NYT a couple weeks ago for lunch today. I liked a lot:

Recipe: Gazpacho With Watermelon and Avocado Time: 15 minutes, plus chilling

2 fat ripe tomatoes (about 1 pound), cored and cut into chunks

1 cup seedless watermelon, diced small

Two-inch-thick slice of day-old baguette (about 1 1/2 ounces), cut into pieces

1 Kirby cucumber, trimmed and cut into chunks

2 tablespoons chopped red onion

1 garlic clove

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper

1 ice cube

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

1/4 avocado, peeled and diced small.

1. In a blender combine tomatoes, 1/2 cup watermelon, bread, cucumber, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and ice cube. Purée until smooth. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Chill in refrigerator until very cold, at least 30 minutes.

2. Serve, garnished with remaining chopped watermelon and avocado.

Yield: 2 servings.