Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

More happy words about Starbucks

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

More happy words about Starbucks

by Paul B. » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:08 am

Having recently travelled quite a bit through northern Ontario and a bit though northern Michigan, I have to say that finally getting to a Starbucks after returning home (we seem to have one every couple of kilometres in the GTA) was quite welcome. You see, I hate to have to say this, but coffee in "the boonies" is generally really awful. Whether it's the ubiquitous Tim Horton's chain in northern Ontario, or any old truck stop or tuck shop, most of what's available is completely lacking in the sort of deep, smoky/vinous coffee aromatics that you get in quality stores - instead, it tastes either sour or bitter and usually has no olfactory or gustatory pleasure to its credit. I would also have to add to this the casual observation that, as with wineries outside of "know-how hotspots" (i.e. where there is not a concentration of wineries or, in this case, quality coffee shops), it is as if brewing skills are frequently lacking as well.

Really, even among the "better" stand-bys here in Ontario, I think that Starbucks is probably the best coffee chain. Anytime I buy something to munch on with my coffee, it is invariably flavourful and fresh. This is one example where a corporate policy of consistency actually shines. It is as if there is a motivation among Starbucks store managers to uphold that freshness and quality across the board. This wasn't the case among some of our local competitors such as Second Cup, where the quality of the coffee and munchies often seemed to vary with the quality of the manager/owner ... :twisted:

Having said all that, I really do hope that the boonies see an improvement in coffee quality someday.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: More happy words about Starbucks

by Jenise » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:30 am

Paul--buy a lot, go back often!

Jenise
Happy Shareholder
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:32 am

Jenise wrote:Paul--buy a lot, go back often!

Jenise
Happy Shareholder

Happy! The stock's been taking a beating (damnit!). Or maybe you are one of the lucky ones who got on the wagon early?

I agree with Paul, though. Starbucks is dependable. There are a number of good coffe shop independents and small chains in the Seattle area, but when on the road I find Starbucks is the way to go.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:46 am

The best place for Starbucks is on long stretches of interstate, IMO. The coffee available from the truck stops and fast food places you generally find on rural stretches of highway is reliably horrible. I've always thought that the person who opens up the first Starbucks on I-5 between Bakersfield and Modesto will make a fortune.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:19 am

Well, today I had my first Starbucks disappointment ... of a different kind. Most of the munchies that I like have been systematically discontinued at virtually every store I visit. Now, all they have is an array of breads and dry cookies which I don't like anyway.

It's a jinx, I tell you ... when I like something, it eventually goes off the market. Terrible, terrible ... :twisted:
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:23 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:The coffee available from the truck stops and fast food places you generally find on rural stretches of highway is reliably horrible.

Mike, you are totally correct. I have always believed that there is no requirement, per se, for this; it is symbolic of the lack of penetration of fine-food culture throughout many parts of our continent - yet there is no reason why this ought not be remedied.

Personally, I love the country and small-town Ontario ... but yeah, when you get out there in the boonies, you'd frankly expect to find better food and drink, not worse. Yet the opposite seems to be true. Diners are the worst - I would rather go to a Burger King (even with my dislike of fast food) than many of those nasty greasy spoon places along the highways.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:08 am

Starbucks is OK, but I wouldn't want it as a steady diet. That heavy dark roast thing is like drinking nothing but California fruit bombs - it would ruin you after awhile for anything more subtle!

Interesting to hear you say that coffee outside major cities sucks. That certainly isn't the case in France, where even the roadside vendors do a fine job. I suspect that they wouldn't be there if they didn't. Serving dishwater to some of those French truckers wouldn't be a survival oriented activity.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:10 am

Bill, and that is where I feel that North America has come serious catching up to do. We are such a utilitarian culture here . . . the fact that the French take quality food seriously everywhere in France really says a lot. I don't know how to change that, but I sure wish it could be more like that here. But then people would have to start thinking a bit differently.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:14 am

Bill Spohn wrote:That certainly isn't the case in France, where even the roadside vendors do a fine job. I suspect that they wouldn't be there if they didn't. Serving dishwater to some of those French truckers wouldn't be a survival oriented activity.

Been in an Autogrille lately? Cello-wrapped sandwiches and coffee from automated vending machines.

Now, Italy still has espresso bars on the Autostrada ...
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:21 am

Robin, the word "lately" has me thinking that maybe they're starting to go North American on us of late ... :? The culture (or maybe "anti-culture") of convenience is probably making inroads into Europe, when really, it is we here who I think ought to be further evangelized, if you will, by the healthier approach to integrating food into life that we have typically associated with France and Italy, for example.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:47 am

Clint, I share your pain...I've only owned it for about seven-eight years, but that's long enough to have done well enough to take the last year in stride.

Paul, re Starbucks snacks, the Starbucks in Huntington Beach where I used to live had banana bran muffins that were to DIE for. I quite miss them, though I can be assuaged by the raspberry-whole wheat scones at the Starbucks at Vancouver airport. I am one unhappy lady on the days they run out of those before I get there.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:25 pm

Starbucks is OK, but I wouldn't want it as a steady diet. That heavy dark roast thing is like drinking nothing but California fruit bombs - it would ruin you after awhile for anything more subtle!

I understand what you are saying but don't think you went far enough. It is the over-oaked, over-extracted fruit bomb that destroy the notion that the coffee shoud show its own terrior. Coffee like wine is a product that when done right shows the differences in place, production methods, and vintage.

I gave up on all commercial coffee long ago and have been roasting my own for years. It not only taste better it actually cost less.
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:That certainly isn't the case in France, where even the roadside vendors do a fine job. I suspect that they wouldn't be there if they didn't. Serving dishwater to some of those French truckers wouldn't be a survival oriented activity.

Been in an Autogrille lately? Cello-wrapped sandwiches and coffee from automated vending machines.

Writes Kermit Lynch in his latest newsletter after arriving for a stay at his second home, in Provence:

"[A]s the quality of th produce in our Provencal village descends into pure suprmarket crap (even at the fruit stands and the so-called "farmer's" market), we had to arrange it so we can survive over there [in Provence] without doing much shopping. [The Lynches now grow their own produce.] .... As for the restaurants and markets, bakeries and wine shops, these days I do better in Berkeley -- a complete reversal of the situation twenty-five years ago."
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:53 pm

Excellent espresso there. And the panini are likewise delicious.

I have to admit that the vending machine coffee at the French truck stops is mighty good.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:25 pm

We used to go to Starbucks all the time when they came to Redding. Then locally owned coffee shops started competing and we gave them a try. After many, many tries to find a really good coffee drink, we now love Java City inside Raley's Supermarket. Basically, I dislike coffee, so my drink is a sugar free almond, fat free latte, which I sprinkle, nutmeg, cinnamon and a packet of Splenda into the mix. Gene gets a Mocha thing that is blended. OK, when I want a real cup of coffee, plain, we grind our beans at home and make it.
Starbucks, as big as they are, won't stock any sugar free flavors except vanilla and hazelnut. These mixed coffee drinks are a real treat for me and a comfort drink. We love getting them before heading off in our RV.
I often tell Java City that I l prefer their coffee over Starbucks, and they tell me they hear this a lot.

When we are traveling, Starbucks are easy to find and usually have a parking facility we can fit into....however we both think their coffee tastes burnt.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:34 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:

Excellent espresso there. And the panini are likewise delicious.

I have to admit that the vending machine coffee at the French truck stops is mighty good.

I was astonished the first time I had vending machine coffee at a French truck stop. It was excellent.

Why can't somebody import those machines over here for our roadside rest stops??

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:45 pm

Truckers would complain. It's not what they're used to.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:24 pm

Screw 'em. We can leave a 50 gallon percolator full of Folger's in the restroom for them.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:17 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Screw 'em. We can leave a 50 gallon percolator full of Folger's in the restroom for them.

:lol: :!:
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:20 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I was astonished the first time I had vending machine coffee at a French truck stop. It was excellent.

Why can't somebody import those machines over here for our roadside rest stops??

I think this gets back to my earlier point about our North American mindset being so utilitarian. I think people would need to learn to take the time out to become passionate about food and drink, and then they'll want a fine experience, no matter how humble the meal (or snack) might be.

Interesting point earlier on about how a fine food culture has developed on the West Coast - it seems that at least there, things are already ahead.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:08 pm

Paul B. wrote:I think this gets back to my earlier point about our North American mindset being so utilitarian. I think people would need to learn to take the time out to become passionate about food and drink, and then they'll want a fine experience, no matter how humble the meal (or snack) might be.
Interesting point earlier on about how a fine food culture has developed on the West Coast - it seems that at least there, things are already ahead.

Exactly right, I think Paul.

The French have a very different attitude - a far higher number of Frenchmen care (many fanatically so) about enjoying the experience of eating and drinking. It is almost the national sport. This means that they are also a nation of critics and do not support anything that isn't of reasonably high level. In fact they are probably considerably more critical on the whole than we are - we put up with crap and don't complain.

I travel mostly out of the major cities when I am in France, and so avoid the rest stops and tourist traps. The small cafes that commercial truckers use are often very good value as the truckers wouldn't put up with anything less.

That's not to say that there aren't lots of fast food places with people choking down Big Macs, but the number of people taking longer lunch hours than we do and enjoying lunch, often with a glass of wine are much higher than on this continent.

Some of the best meals I've had in France were in little out of the way places where Michelin stars weren't even a distant issue. Same in Italy.

I actually almost prefer the small towns - a lower level of pretension about food and wine. I've had great dinners in Italy where the wine came in glass tumblers and we were the odd men out for asking for something with a cork in the bottle.

While coffee in both countries tends to be exemplary, I can't say the same for England. And I haven't spent as much time in Germany (the top volume of coffee comes through Hamburg) to assess the quality, but I'd say certainly a tad lower than France and Italy. Austria is really very good.