Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Killer popcorn

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Killer popcorn

by Larry Greenly » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:36 am

Seems the fumes from a butter flavored chemical in microwave popcorn can harm lungs. Your thoughts?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Killer popcorn

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:42 am

Diacetyl smells like puke to me. It's pretty common in heavily malo'd Chardonnay, too. We've already banned it at out office because it stinks the place up.

I doubt it has any real effect on the lungs at these concentrations, but if that's the b.s. excuse it takes to get it away from my nose, I'm all for it.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:00 am

Larry,
I read the NYT article. It is the high concentration over long periods that cause the disorder - BO - bronchiolitis obliterans. The same pathology can be caused by other irritants.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:07 am

We never nuke popcorn. Use plain white in oil in covered saucepan and add a little real butter afterward.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:04 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Diacetyl We've already banned it at out office because it stinks the place up.

I doubt it has any real effect on the lungs at these concentrations, but if that's the b.s. excuse it takes to get it away from my nose, I'm all for it.

Microwave popcorn is a scourge. One person gets a snack jones, and then the whole world gets to share the odor of their meal for hours--how fair is that? I'm amazed every time I walk into an office where that telltale smell is in the air, that it's allowed. Wouldn't be if I were running things! (And no, we don't use it at home either.)
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:37 pm

I learned long ago that whatever the stuff is that passes for butter makes my throat spasm and I have a coughing fit. I can't stand that feeling. I miss the taste but it's not worth feeling like I'm going to choke to death. Based on that, it would not surprise me at all that fumes from the chemicals in butter-flavored, microwaved popcorn could harm lungs.
JP
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:43 am

I don't know if it kills, but it sure does stink.
The smell remains in the microwave for days. No good.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"