Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Kentucky Wonder Beans

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert Noecker

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon May 22, 2006 12:56 pm

Overland Park, Kansas

Kentucky Wonder Beans

by Robert Noecker » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:44 am

While in the Bay area recently I noticed that "Kentucky Wonder Beans" appeared on three different menus. A friend mentioned that Russ Parson's from the LA Times recently did an article on these but I can't find it. Any ideas on how to preparation ideas? :?
Every love story is part of a larger love story.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Kentucky Wonder Beans

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:53 am

Robert Noecker wrote:While in the Bay area recently I noticed that "Kentucky Wonder Beans" appeared on three different menus. A friend mentioned that Russ Parson's from the LA Times recently did an article on these but I can't find it. Any ideas on how to preparation ideas? :?

This is funny, but as a lifelong (mostly) Kentuckian, I'm not particularly familiar with "Kentucky Wonder Beans" as a variety.

Here's a description, though, from an heirloom vegetable site. Seems to me that they could be cooked about like any other string bean.

<i> Beans: Kentucky Wonder

Introduced by 1864, this bean was originally known by the name 'Old Homestead.' Thirteen years later, in 1877, seedsman James J. H. Gregory & Son renamed this bean, calling it the 'Kentucky Wonder.' By 1907, the USDA described it as the best known and most widely grown pole bean in America. Two years later, seedsman H. W. Buckbee summed up this variety's qualities in just three words "Has no equal". Other seed companies, such as D. M. Ferry & Co. in 1926 praised its "showy pods of most excellent quality" and recommended the Kentucky Wonder as the best green pole beans for snaps.

What made the 'Kentucky Wonder' a wonder was, in part, its size. The beans were extraordinarily long. Even specimens up to nine inches long were still tender, brittle, and free from fiber, three qualities of first-rate green beans. What also made this bean a wonder was its distinctive (and delicious) flavor. As good as they were, the 'Kentucky Wonder' had some faults. They looked rumpled (rather than smooth) and had some strings. Even with these flaws, the 'Kentucky Wonder' was so good it survived for more than 100 years.

Today, about 75 North American seed companies offer the 'Kentucky Wonder,' making it one of the most common pole beans. The vines, which are rust resistant, run five to seven feet tall. They produce beans in clusters over an extended season. 'Kentucky Wonder' beans mature in 58-72 days. </i>
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Kentucky Wonder Beans

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:57 am

Love Kentucky Wonders. They are so amazingly prolific. They are a fixture in most of my family members' gardens each year.

We just use them in any typical green bean application. Especially love them pickled with dill and hot chiles. Yum!