Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: JD's Pasta With Kale and Pancetta

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: JD's Pasta With Kale and Pancetta

by Jenise » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:31 pm

Since it's prime kale weather and since we're talking about pasta, here's a favorite recipe I'm going to make in the very near future using whole wheat pasta. It was originally posted on the old FLDG by Stuart's partner in kitchen crime and aspiring lesbian, JD.

Date: 17-Apr-2004 16:28
Author: Jenise (for JD) Email
Subject: RC: Pasta with pancetta and kale

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This fabulous and simple pasta dish is one I should have listed in response to Barb's "Your Favorite/Regular Recipes". When I went to dig it out just now to rectify that error, I realized it had never been archived--hence this post. -- Jenise

Serves four:

2 bunches kale, washed and sliced crosswise into 1" strips
1 red onion, sliced crosswise about 1/2" thick
2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
1/4 lb. pancetta, sliced 1/8" thick and diced
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
Plenty of parmesan

1 lb. penne, or other short pasta

This requires a large pan or pot to fit the kale. Brown the pancetta in 2 tbsp. olive oil. As it gets close to being done, add the red onion. When the onion is soft and starting to brown, add the garlic. Continue to saute for 2-3 minutes, then add the kale. Toss with the ingredients already in the pan, turn down the heat to medium and cover. Cook for about five minutes, or until the kale has wilted. Add the red pepper flakes and a couple of grinds of pepper. Add the stock, cover and simmer until the kale is tender, ~ 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally. You may need to add a little more stock or pasta water during this time if it gets too dry.
While the kale is cooking, boil the pasta. Drain and toss with the kale mixture and a good handful of grated parmesan. Serve it up, drizzle with a little really good olive oil and top with a little more cheese.

This is a dish that works quite well with zinfandel, shiraz, etc... Try to choose one that has some spice to it in addition to the fruit.[/i]
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: RCP: JD's Pasta With Kale and Pancetta

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:32 pm

Thanks for posting this, Jenise. It does sound good!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:47 pm

We do something very similar using chard. Great stuff.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:09 pm

Yes, same for chard, rapini, kale, beet greens, collard greens - agreat way to use hearty greens. If any leftover, mince, mix with egg, grated cheese and use as ravioli filling or fritatta base. Great stuff
Mamma Mia !