Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Mmmm....fish tacos!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Mmmm....fish tacos!

by Jenise » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:40 pm

Fun article on the origins of fish tacos on the NPR website today, and some recipes: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=14333245&sc=nl&cc=es-20070921&sc=emaf.

[/url]
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: Mmmm....fish tacos!

by James Dietz » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:31 pm

Jenise.. the next time u r down here and if you have time.. Lorena's mom makes some awesome fish tacos.. no batter on the fish.. homemade crispy taco shell.. fresh sasla, no white sauce and with slices of fresh avocado... amazing.. at the restaurant she owns
Last edited by James Dietz on Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:00 pm

Good article, but I have issues......
Having had fish tacos in both the cities which claim to have invented them, as well as all over Baja, San Diego and So Cal, I disagree with the recipe's mayo sauce. The authentic versions feature Mexican crema, which is most certainly NOT mayo, diluted or otherwise. It is a dairy product, closer to creme fraiche. It makes all the difference in the world, and the interplay between the sauce and the cool cabbage and the hot fish is probably the thing I like most about them. Also, avocado sauce? No, not in my world.....Totally unnecessary on a good fish taco.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:03 pm

Jenise wrote:Fun article on the origins of fish tacos on the NPR website today, and some recipes: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=14333245&sc=nl&cc=es-20070921&sc=emaf.
[/url]

The first time I heard about fish tacos I was in Irvine CA for training and the instructor mentioned that the cafe in the building had them. My reaction was "Whaaa?" Just didn't sound good to me. It wasn't until I actually saw some at Baja Fresh (years later) that I thought maybe they could be something good.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:09 pm

John Tomasso wrote:Good article, but I have issues ... The authentic versions feature Mexican crema, which is most certainly NOT mayo ... Also, avocado sauce? No, not in my world.....Totally unnecessary on a good fish taco.

Agree with everything you say and the way you say it. ;)

I've had fish tacos at the original Rubio's, and I've had them at Bazo's in Louisville when it was run by a guy who had worked at Rubio's. Done right, they're exactly as you describe, and super-addictive.

I think most people who react negatively to the concept don't realize that the fish is deep-fried and crunchy. :)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:55 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I think most people who react negatively to the concept don't realize that the fish is deep-fried and crunchy. :)

Why would that improve things?

You can add other things for crunch..

In fact, whipping up some fish tacos myself tonight for dinner, tuna cooked in the oven before crumbled into the tacos along with crisp September yellow and orange peppers, sauteed eggplant..
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:54 am

Why would that improve things? Many people find golden-brown and delicious fried stuff addictive. ;)

Really, I wasn't sitting in judgment, Rahsaan, only pointing out the observation that, when told of fish tacos, many newbies to the concept think in terms of a piece of fish in a tortilla and don't immediately grasp that in the Baja version the fish is battered-and-fried. Once they discover this, most of them improve their attitude.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:53 am

And, yet, battered and fried can scream CALORIES to many....the ones we buy are pan fried, no skin, no batter, no white sauce, served in a crispy handmade corn tortilla, with some shredded cabbage and a couple of thin slices of avocado inside the shell with the fish... that way the fish is the star....the best I've ever had, and I've had lots of them around here in CA where most Mexican places have some version of a fish taco.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:20 pm

James Dietz wrote:And, yet, battered and fried can scream CALORIES to many....the ones we buy are pan fried, no skin, no batter, no white sauce, served in a crispy handmade corn tortilla, with some shredded cabbage and a couple of thin slices of avocado inside the shell with the fish... that way the fish is the star....the best I've ever had, and I've had lots of them around here in CA where most Mexican places have some version of a fish taco.

That makes sense to me, Jim. I should have qualified my comments by explaining that I'm talking from the perspective of a food writer in an inland, eastern/southern city where fish tacos magically appeared one day, and few people here had ever heard of them before. Since fried whitefish is a major food group here, when people realized that the fish in the tacos was like that, they won quicker acceptance. :D

We do have one funky-trendy Mexican spot with sort of a low-budget Rick Bayless/Frontera Grill vibe that does a fish taco with a grilled piece of fish, and it's excellent, but it's knife-and-fork food, not a Baja taco at all.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:23 pm

James Dietz wrote:And, yet, battered and fried can scream CALORIES to many.

Not even talking about calories, it seems redundant because you have the taco itself as a shell for the fish, why place additional barriers between your palate and the food..

I like your example with panfried, cabbage...

But yes Robin, I understand that some people go crazy for deep fried foods. Just haven't actually met any myself.. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:04 pm

The authentic versions feature Mexican crema, which is most certainly NOT mayo, diluted or otherwise. It is a dairy product, closer to creme fraiche. It makes all the difference in the world, and the interplay between the sauce and the cool cabbage and the hot fish is probably the thing I like most about them. Also, avocado sauce? No, not in my world.....Totally unnecessary on a good fish taco.

John, agree with you completely. Also, I I've never had or seen a fish taco with avocado sauce. But oh are they good, and though I would like the panfried version without batter, the deep fried version is the way I first had a fish taco--on the streets of Ensenada--and I loved it that way. It was simply topped with finely chopped white onion and cilantro that had been spritzed with lime juice. That was it--simple como eso!

I also remember a lobster burrito that rocked my world.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:28 pm

James Dietz wrote:Jenise.. the next time u r down here and if you have time.. Lorena's mom makes some awesome fish tacos.. no batter on the fish.. homemade crispy taco shell.. fresh sasla, no white sauce and with slices of fresh avocado... amazing.. at the restaurant she owns

Hmmmmm....Yum .... very good stuff.

J
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:00 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
James Dietz wrote:And, yet, battered and fried can scream CALORIES to many.

Not even talking about calories, it seems redundant because you have the taco itself as a shell for the fish,

Well, it helps to remember that in the original version, what you are referring to as a "taco" is simply a tortilla (or two stacked together) and is not the crunchy type many associate with tacos. The tortillas are soft, and become one with the filling.

So, in the taco, you have differing textures - and the only thing crunchy is the cabbage and the fried, battered exterior of the fish. Furthermore, the cabbage is cool crunchy, and the exterior of the fish is hot crunchy. The crema is smooth and cool and refreshing, and the salsa has texture and heat on the palate.
It's not simply a food item, it's a study in brilliant contrasts.

No redundancy there, Rahsaan.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:08 pm

Good point, John, on the textures. Maybe that's why with a crispy shell, the pan fried tastes better....battered and deep fried would be redundant... and `where's the fish' would be the query

And, usually, `real' Mexican tacos typically are served with two, yes, two, fresh corn tortillas wrapping the goodies inside.

I've also learned that when you buy store bought corn tortillas, they have to be heated up `face side up' first, then flipped, then back to the face side to be filled.... and for gringos figuring out which is the face can be a challenge!!
Last edited by James Dietz on Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:14 pm

James Dietz wrote:and for gringos figuring out which is the face can be a challenge!!

:lol: I know this whole concept is Lorena playing a joke on all of us :)

Jason
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:28 pm

John Tomasso wrote:Well, it helps to remember that in the original version, what you are referring to as a "taco" is simply a tortilla (or two stacked together) and is not the crunchy type many associate with tacos...No redundancy there, Rahsaan.

Believe me, I'm not talking about those crunchy "taco shell" monstrosities, and it wasn't a redundancy in texture I was talking about. Rather, a redundancy in the breading element because the tortilla already gives you that.

But, your point about cool crunchy (cabbage) vs. hot crunchy (fried fish) makes sense. And in certain (rare) circumstances fried fish (fish and chips in the UK) can be well executed. It's just usually not my favorite way to enjoy fish because of all the barriers to the fish. But, like everything, when well done I am sure it is lovely.