Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Are farmers markets elitist boutiques?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Are farmers markets elitist boutiques?

by Jenise » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:24 pm

Michael Ruhlman thought so, but Russ Parsons set him straight. From Michael's blog....

Russ Parsons...took issue with some of the things I said in a recent post about farmer’s markets--in which I said that everyone should have access to hand grown produce and farm raised meat, not just those who can afford the boutique prices. He wrote back to say, “I find the idea that FMs are ‘elitist boutiques’ (my quote, not yours), to be frankly pretty funny. As a guy who lives in a distinctly working class neighborhood and shops frequently at my local grocery store, I really have a problem with the idea that spending an extra 50 cents a pound for something that tastes really good is much of an economic bar to entry.
And: “the main reason so much produce in America sucks right now is because of the economic race to the bottom. Growing great food takes talent, time and a lot of sacrifice (literal and figurative—a good farmer thins his crop considerably through the season, resulting in lower yields). You simply cannot do it on a mass scale.”
And: “Why is it automatically assumed that farmers should be exempted from the idea that those who do better work should make more money? I mean, if I write better than someone else, I don’t have a problem getting paid more. Why should a farmer’s income be tied to the lowest common denominator?”
I of course have some things to say about this, but am smart enough at least to know when to keep my fat mouth shut. Russ is a man of unfailing wisdom and good sense, an indefatigable reporter for the LATimes, and he’s written two excellent books, How to Read a French Fry, and most recently How to Pick a Peach: The Search For Flavor From Farm To Table, which is practically a new form of cookbook, or at the very least, pushes the cookbook in a new and positive direction with good reporting about agribusiness and markets and ingredients, good stories and intriguing recipes. The book is an ode to farmers markets, great produce and knowing how to handle those ingredients once you’ve got them. If anyone is qualified to comment, it’s this guy. I asked to put his email in a post and, ever the over-achiever, he sent the following:

"Michael,

Thanks for the opportunity to offer my views on the farmers market situation. I’ll try to keep my remarks brief and temperate, appropriate to the august venue and my distinguished colleagues, like Bourdain.

Ruhlman, you ignorant slut.

Seriously, it is difficult to offer a simple and succinct explanation of how and why agriculture works and doesn’t work. There are too many factors at play. If you want a really good (and very readable) examination, I recommend Julie Guthman’s Agrarian Dreams. If you want recipes with that, there’s some book about something about a peach.

The first thing that needs to be said is that contrary to popular opinion, American agriculture is not a broken system. It is a system that is performing perfectly at what it is designed to do, which is deliver high quality (at least in terms of nutrition and safety) produce at the lowest possible price. While malnutrition was unfortunately common in this country a century ago, it has all but disappeared today. And we pay far less for food than any other industrialized nation (and about half what we paid before World War II). The problems that you and I find with it are the results of unintended consequences of this. Primarily, that it is very hard to grow fruits and vegetables with great flavor when everything is predicated on the lowest bid.

At this point, a brief side trip into the term “Agribusiness.” In the first place, of course, it is redundant. Agriculture that is not based on business is gardening. Farms need to be profitable in order to exist. Furthermore, contrary to the popular conception of corporate-based farming, in the state of California (which I continue to remind, grows more than half of all the fruits and vegetables in the country), more than 90% of all farms are owned by either families or single operators. Small farmers? In most cases. Despite the image of thousand-acre spreads, the average farm in California is less than 400 acres. And even this number is somewhat misleading because it is skewed by a few very large cattle and grain farms. Three-fourths of the farms in California are less than 200 acres.

As long as I’m going all wonky on you, let me throw in a couple of other statistics: the average fruit and vegetable farmer working in standard agriculture realizes about 20% of the retail price of the food they grow. And according to the most recent Census of Agriculture, 75% of farm family income today comes from non-ag sources. Think about that for a minute. That means that every farm family not only has one person working full-time off the farm, it means the other partner is working part-time as well. As you can imagine, with these tightening profit margins, more and more people are getting out of farming altogether. The size of farms is increasing as growers try to realize some advantage from scale. This cannot bode well for the future flavor of our fruits and vegetables.

Let’s talk about food for a minute. You are certainly right in pointing out that shopping at farmers markets is no guarantee of quality—farmers are “differently abled,” as we might say in California. Some are better than others. You still have to shop carefully. But at the same time, I don’t think you can argue with the fact that the chances of finding high-quality fruits and vegetables are far higher at farmers markets than at supermarkets. This makes sense: fruits and vegetables are fragile and the closer they’re grown, the more likely they are to be a) picked riper and b) be from varieties that are chosen for flavor, not for shippability.

OK, so what about your spending more money at the farmers market than at the supermarket. In part, of course, this is because of your ridiculously low threshold for resisting impulse purchases. I share your pain there. But mostly, this is because it is far more expensive to farm in the Cleveland area than it is in California—where most of those supermarket fruits and vegetables are grown. On reflection, this is probably obvious—that’s why there are so many farms in California and so few in northern Ohio. In the first place, farmers in Ohio get, at most two crops a year. That, as I constantly remind you, is what you get for living someplace that is buried in snow for 9 months of the year, or whatever. In California, farmers get 3, 4 and even 5 crops. Don’t hate us because we’re Mediterranean. But an Ohio farmer has to make enough money in that brief growing period to pay for his farm costs all year round (as always, the price of real estate is a major factor in agricultural economics—that’s why so much former farm land is now suburb). Furthermore, there’s the nature of summer in Ohio, which is humid. Humidity breeds problems for fruit and vegetable farmers—funguses, rots, bugs, etc. In California, it almost never rains between March and November. That’s one more reason for the state’s agricultural dominance.

So, simply put, it costs more money too grow good fruits and vegetables in Ohio than it does in California. If the farmers are to stay in business, they need to charge more. Is it worth it? Is the quality of produce at the farmers markets that much better than at the supermarket? That’s a decision you’re going to have to make for yourself. But one thing you ought to keep in mind—good farms and farmers markets are fragile things. There is no guarantee that they will be around forever. So some place in your calculations, you must include the fact that if you don’t shop at farmers markets and pay that extra cost, there is a very good chance that they will cease to exist. I know that altruism rarely figures in economic arguments, but there’s no getting around this fact. Remember that when you shop for fruits and vegetables, you are in effect voting for what kind of agricultural future you prefer
."
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Are farmers markets elitist boutiques?

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:52 pm

Without seeing the original article, I won't comment directly on it except to say that anyone who thinks the markets are elitist should drop by the one in Sacramento. It attracts some empty-headed yuppies like me, but there are also plenty of people who obviously shop there because they're from ethnic groups that are underserved by the supermarkets in the are. You'll have a much better chance of finding stuff like long beans and decent lemon grass at the farmer's market than at Safeway.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:26 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Without seeing the original article, I won't comment directly on it except to say that anyone who thinks the markets are elitist should drop by the one in Sacramento. It attracts some empty-headed yuppies like me, but there are also plenty of people who obviously shop there because they're from ethnic groups that are underserved by the supermarkets in the are. You'll have a much better chance of finding stuff like long beans and decent lemon grass at the farmer's market than at Safeway.

I think the disconnect here has to do with there being more than one approach to managing farmers' markets, and it depends on both mission and, I expect, demographics. We've got farmer's markets in inner-city neighborhoods that are explicitly designed to connect small farmers with low-income families and get out quality produce at low cost by cutting out the middleman. We've also got huge, social farmer's markets in more affluent, leftie, crunchy-granola urban neighborhoods where you can get all the expensive arugula you like. (Case in point: I racked up a bill for $53 a couple of weeks ago for two lamb shanks, four lamb chops and one beautiful large rib eye. All natural, all organic, all local, all bodaciously delicious. That worked out to about four meals at about $10 to $15 for meat per meal, which is cheaper than eating out in a restaurant. But "elitist boutique"? Yeah, probably. So sue me.

Point is, though, I think you'll find both approaches out there in the real world, sometimes only blocks apart. That's a point that these guys <i>may</i> be missing.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:42 am

Robin Garr wrote:
I think the disconnect here has to do with there being more than one approach to managing farmers' markets, and it depends on both mission and, I expect, demographics. We've got farmer's markets in inner-city neighborhoods that are explicitly designed to connect small farmers with low-income families and get out quality produce at low cost by cutting out the middleman. We've also got huge, social farmer's markets in more affluent, leftie, crunchy-granola urban neighborhoods where you can get all the expensive arugula you like. (Case in point: I racked up a bill for $53 a couple of weeks ago for two lamb shanks, four lamb chops and one beautiful large rib eye. All natural, all organic, all local, all bodaciously delicious. That worked out to about four meals at about $10 to $15 for meat per meal, which is cheaper than eating out in a restaurant. But "elitist boutique"? Yeah, probably. So sue me.

Point is, though, I think you'll find both approaches out there in the real world, sometimes only blocks apart. That's a point that these guys <i>may</i> be missing.

True. We have the more working-class market here in Sacramento. Go 15 miles west, to Davis, and you'll find the boutique market. Less emphasis on cheap produce and more on local artisanal goat cheese and such. There's some nice stuff to be found there but the bill will be quite a bit higher.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:51 am

We have them all over the map here too. Even though this are rural area they are much like the differnent ones that Robin describes in L'ville. The nicest one near us is in Wolfeboro. The town is much like the neighborhood where Robin bought his meat, but the maket is middle class. The veggies are fresh and reasonably priced, and the meats and breads are fantastic.

My one bitch is the price of tomatoes. That is why we grow our own.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:03 am

When I lived in So Cal, I often went to the weekly market in Huntington Beach where I lived and where I would find mostly basics. When I had time, I'd venture further into the interior of the OC for better. Basically, the closer you were to the County's wealth base, the more foofoo stuff you found at the markets and that's entirely understandable. I'm sure it's the same everywhere--Ruhlman needs to get out more. :)
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:57 pm

The market, like the broader market, charges what the patrons will bear. As someone who's visited markets all over the Bay Area, I often see the exact same vendors in, say, Fremont, Walnut Creek, and Pleasanton. Sometimes the price in Walnut Creek is double. Fremont is invariably the cheapest, but it's also a 35 minute drive, and it lacks the broad selection of organic (certified and otherwise) produce that I find in Walnut Creek or Pleasanton. This whole setup is no different than the prices you'd pay for produce in grocery stores in various areas, so it doesn't really bother me that the San Francisco Ferry Building Market seems to have a going rate of $3 a pound for peaches in season.

If farms were required to pay the environmental and energy costs of their productions, rather than sticking the rest of us with it, the farmer's market would probably be cheap. At least at my local Pleasanton market, I frequently can get non-organic produce of much higher quality for about the same price as Safeway.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:02 pm

wnissen wrote:the San Francisco Ferry Building Market seems to have a going rate of $3 a pound for peaches in season.

These days that seems to be the low end..
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:33 pm

You guys shop in the wrong places. 99 cents a pound at Larry's.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:30 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:99 cents a pound at Larry's.

Same quality as the $3 per pound boutique peaches?

If so, you're a lucky man..
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:48 am

Yep. I love that place. Also, the best Asian pears I've ever had, 79 cents a pound.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:34 am

Anyone who thinks farmer's markets are boutique should visit the one in Lewisburg, PA. I used to go weekly while in college. How many boutique markets do you know where you can buy scrapple, head cheese and apple butter?

The Lewisburg market was truly a people's market. The college students were there, as were the local shopkeepers, and even employees of the supermarkets. The Amish and Menonite farmers (most of the participants) produced good, solid food at very reasonable prices.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Sharon S.

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:40 pm

Buckinghamshire, UK

by Sharon S. » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:35 pm

Absolutely Jenise. Around us most of the farmers markets only turn up once a month, in mainly well-to-do areas, with mainly artisanal products (the one that comes to the market village next to ours only has one fruit and vegetable stall, but probably about half a dozen meat-related stalls, as well as oils, preserves, bread & pastry stalls and the rest).

I've no objections to paying a bit extra if I feel that there's some sort of added value to what I'm buying. Last Saturday I bought a medium sized filleted side of oak-smoked trout, which at £2.75 struck me as a bargain. But the prices being asked for most of the sausages (for the other half) didn't seem justified (apart from the ones which had displays showing the rare-breed pigs used, and the special diets they were fed on etc.).

Perhaps the other sausage producers also put in similar added-value, but they didn't do anything to promote or evidence it, so they got passed over by me. As far as they are concerned, my local Waitrose is a far better option. :)