Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Mole' Sauce Recipe Inquiry?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

Mole' Sauce Recipe Inquiry?

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:03 am

I’ve been eyeing a Braised Chicken w/ Oxoacan Mole sauce recipe in the new Food and Wine. But like all magazine recipes…its just that. Does anyone have a proven mole sauce recipe they would care to share?

Thanks,

Richard
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Mole' Sauce Recipe Inquiry?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:21 am

There are as many variations on this as there are cooks. When I get home I'll pull out the couple I use regularly. Yum!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:12 pm

Here's our's Richard:

MOLE’ SAUCE:

3 tbl Melted lard (or Olive oil)
1 Onion chopped
4 cloves (2 tsp) Minced garlic
3 tbl Chile powder
1/2 C. Tomato puree
1/2 square Unsweetened baking chocolate
2 to 3 C. Rich meat stock
Salt, pepper mill, and cayenne

Nuke onion in fat and add garlic at the end. Stir into saucepan with remaining ingredients, including a cup of stock. Cook, stirring until chocolate melts. Raise heat until sauce thickens. Add additional stock until you get a good consistency. Correct seasonings.
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:09 pm

Richard, be forewarned that a good complex brown mole (which I assume is what you're after) can entail assembling an amazing number of ingredients. The good news is that mole is not that particular, you can substitute or omit freely depending on what's available in your area. The recipe I've used would require too much typing but I'd expect any reasonably authentic recipe in addition to the expected tomatoes to include whole dried peppers, seeds/nuts, probably raisins, maybe plantain, a crumbled corn tortilla or two. And chocolate - Mexican, of course! The cooking school Ramekins, in downtown Sonoma, has a web page devoted to mole. Check it out at http://www.ramekins.com/mole/recipesmole.html. Any of the first three: Mole Sauce, Mole Poblano #1 or Mole Poblano #2 would do the trick, I think. Failing that, the stuff in the jar in your grocery store Mexican section works :)
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:21 am

I have some authentic recipes, but they have on the order of 26 ingredients and a couple of pages of instructions.

I usually buy a mole base and add stock.