Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Pineapple muffins

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Pineapple muffins

by Jenise » Sat May 24, 2008 10:54 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:Jenise,

I made these a fourth time to take on a weekend gathering. Today, I added 1/2 tsp. Vietnamese Cassia Cinnamon and a bit of almond extract. I sprinkled sugar over the top of the muffins for added sweetness and some sparkle. Amazing!

Mmmm...Vietnamese cinnamon? That sounds like a lovely addition. In fact, I was re-organizing my spice area since things had gotten a bit out of hand there just two days ago when I came across that Vietnamese cinnamon I bought at Penzey's and thought, "After making such a big ruckus about this stuff on FLDG, I've not used it. Must think of something...." I believe you did!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat May 24, 2008 2:52 pm

I'm making these tomorrow. I will add a touch of cinnamon... and more than a touch of smoked red savina powder, which just naturally goes with pineapple. :D
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Mon May 26, 2008 7:42 pm

These just came out of the oven. Yummy! Great recipe, Jenise.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 26, 2008 7:45 pm

TraciM wrote:These just came out of the oven. Yummy! Great recipe, Jenise.

Made a batch yesterday myself, thanks. But even better than yesterday's (for dinner service, with the original amount of sugar and pineapple in juice, not syrup so overall a tad less sweet) though were the leftovers heated up in the toaster oven this morning until they were crisp on the outside, and served with Earl Gray tea. Very delicious, and no butter needed.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon May 26, 2008 7:59 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I'm making these tomorrow. I will add a touch of cinnamon... and more than a touch of smoked red savina powder, which just naturally goes with pineapple. :D

Ah I must give the Sevina a try....just like in the movie Chocolat. She made chocolates with cayenne!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon May 26, 2008 8:20 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Ah I must give the Sevina a try....just like in the movie Chocolat. She made chocolates with cayenne!

Prepare to become addicted, Karen.

There is a local chocolatier who specializes in chile-chocolates. Sadly for my wallet and waistline, he is located only about a mile from my house! :D

Stuart, don't you make a dessert with pineapple and the smoked red savina?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon May 26, 2008 8:59 pm

Only for the right audiences. :mrgreen:

It's a spicy one, but too simple for an RCP. I core and peel a pineapple, cut the flesh into 1.5cm thick slices, sautee them in butter until they're caramelized on both sides, add some brown sugar, and stir around until it's incorporated into the butter. Then a deglaze/flame with rum, finish with smoked red savina, plate, and top with vanilla ice cream. Preferably home-made.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Mon May 26, 2008 9:10 pm

[quote="Stuart Yaniger"]Only for the right audiences. :mrgreen:

Nice to make the cut! It's crazy good. That red savina is something else! It that available locally?
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Mon May 26, 2008 9:12 pm

"Made a batch yesterday myself, thanks. But even better than yesterday's (for dinner service, with the original amount of sugar and pineapple in juice, not syrup so overall a tad less sweet) though were the leftovers heated up in the toaster oven this morning until they were crisp on the outside, and served with Earl Gray tea. Very delicious, and no butter needed"

Toasted sounds awesome. I'm feeding my crew in the morning...Wish we had a toaster!!
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Mon May 26, 2008 10:01 pm

Is there anyone who hasn't made these yet? :)
no avatar
User

Diane Huffman

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:08 pm

by Diane Huffman » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:09 pm

I normally don't join Web sites but I had to join this site. I wanted to make a comment about the muffins. They are outstanding. I was looking for a recipe to get rid of an 8 ounce can of crushed pineapple. I made a half recipe and it worked out great. I used pineapple in their own juice and yes it could have used a bit more sugar. When my testers (sis and bro in law) tried the muffins, they put a bit of honey on the muffin after nuking it for a few seconds. Great find and thanks!

I also find a new web site. My niece, who is a winelover, will love this web site.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:22 pm

Welcome to the Forum, Diane! Lots of really nice and knowledgeable people here. I hope you stick around and just jump in! :D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:20 pm

Diane Huffman wrote:I normally don't join Web sites but I had to join this site. I wanted to make a comment about the muffins. They are outstanding. I was looking for a recipe to get rid of an 8 ounce can of crushed pineapple. I made a half recipe and it worked out great. I used pineapple in their own juice and yes it could have used a bit more sugar. When my testers (sis and bro in law) tried the muffins, they put a bit of honey on the muffin after nuking it for a few seconds. Great find and thanks!

I also find a new web site. My niece, who is a winelover, will love this web site.

Diane, thanks so much for letting us know that you tried the recipe. Hope you find more here of interest, and that you join in often. Whereabouts on the planet are you located?
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

by Patti L » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:46 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:Is there anyone who hasn't made these yet? :)

That would be me.

But I'll be fixing that this weekend.
Patti
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:34 pm

Patti L wrote:...But I'll be fixing that this weekend.
Me too, but I've made them before. I'll be serving them with coffee at NiagaraCOOL.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Iowa

by Patti L » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:25 pm

These look so good.

What is the NiagaraCOOL? I figure it's in Niagara, but what is it?

Thanks!
Patti
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:20 pm

Patti L wrote:These look so good.

What is the NiagaraCOOL? I figure it's in Niagara, but what is it?

Thanks!

NiagaraCOOL
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:09 pm

Thanks for helping me out there Linda. We borrowed the name from MOCOOL, which, I believe, stands for MOtor City Co-Operative Off Line. Basically an excuse to get together and drink wine with other WLDGers and friends.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Iowa

by Patti L » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:52 pm

Thanks for the explanation. I was trying to figure out what the COOL stood for. Sounds like fun! Maybe I'll have a CornCOOL some day.
Patti
Previous