Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Hurray, I Can Eat Again; aka Tea and Food Pairings

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Hurray, I Can Eat Again; aka Tea and Food Pairings

by Saina » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:38 pm

I had a couple of wisdom teeth removed, so for a day I wasn't allowed to eat warm food. Today I am, but not anything that I would have to bite, but I still wanted a good culinary experience. (Except that the medication I am on keeps on making my stomach upset, :evil: which makes eating a bit of a nuisance. I wish I could stop the meds since I don't feel pain, I don't see why should be eating pain killers...)

Oh well, for a starter I made asparagus (probably something I shouldn't be eating yet, LOL!!) with a recipe that was posted when I asked for ideas on how to prepare the lovely vegetable: fried with balsamico and EVOO. Lovely and simple. I paired it with Yun Shan Yin Zhen tea - a good match with green notes of the food and the greenish notes of tea balancing each other.

For main course I ate a simple mushroom risotto and paired that with a ferociously tannic Assam TGFOP1 Panitola (which I've also reported on before). The plentiful oil and fat from the parmigiano reggiano softened the tannins of the tea beautifully.

Both teas were fine matches for the food. I would prefer wine though, but due to the dashed meds that is impossible for now.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

Tea rocks!

by Anders Källberg » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:19 am

Good for you that you have your teas to console you, Otto! I bought some good ones myself here in Stockholm yesterday. Mainly Yunnan, as usual. There's a very exclusive tea shop in the Old Town that I have missed until now. At last we have a premium tea shop in Stockholm, though the prices are a bit premium too...
F*ck the meds and save your stomach from those pain killers if you don't need them. Good luck and see you in chat tonight!
Cheers, Anders