Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Oops! It actually turned out really good.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Oops! It actually turned out really good.

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:24 pm

In my new job I travel a heck of a lot more than is healthy. This makes it hard to stock fresh things in the fridge. For instance, on Friday I came home after nine days of scooting between Salem, OR and Seattle, WA and found a package of mushrooms which seemed to be moving on its own volition. In any event, I tend to use what is there now and use it fast before I have to leave again. Although I had to say adieu to the shrooms, I still had some relatively happy-looking zucchini and green bell peppers. I decided to jury-rig a meal from what was there and it really came out well. This wheel was probably invented before, but I just had some leftovers for lunch and it tasted too good not to share. (Quantities are guesstimates.)

3 ea skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
3 ea green bell pepper
1 lb zucchini
2 ea medium size onion
6 ea cloves garlic
2 tbs sweet paprika
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp fennel seed
2 tsp chile flake
3 ea bay leaf
salt to taste
crushed black pepper to taste
olive oil
1 cup late harvest muscat

Cube the chicken, rough cut the onions, zucchini and garlic. (Kept this all chunky because I was a bachelor in a hurry.) Brown the chicken in the oil olive (season it up a bit), toss in everything else except for the wine and stir it up. Cover and let stew, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are about half as tender as you like them. Pour in the wine and let stew some more until the veggies are where you want them. Serve over rice.

Like I said, I'm sure this has been done before and might even have a name (now, that's a straight line!!). It can probably be done better, but this just turned out so right that I wanted to share.