Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Best. Fish. Ever.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Camera thread

by Jenise » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:39 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:Jenise,
I did a search for this thread but the only post that came up was your latest one about the Canon/birthday gift. Would you please provide a link to the thread for me...I am in the market, as well....my battery sucking Olympus is giving me fits.

Karen, it's this thread:

http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15460
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

Re: Best. Fish. Ever.

by Ines Nyby » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:55 pm

Jenise, your last comment got to me, since Kirk and I have been avoiding wild caught salmon because it is so close to being on the "very endangered" list that we can't in good conscience go on purchasing it. We can't do anything about the hordes of people who still think there's plenty of wild salmon (there isn't) but we can do our small part. I tried to make peace with farmed salmon but can't get past the horrendous growing conditions and antibiotic overload they carry, so hearing about the char makes we want to go and search some out. There must be a seafood purveyor around here somewhere who can supply some.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:05 pm

I love artic char. I first tasted it at Estiatorio Milos, an upscale Greek seafood restaurant in midtown. Even my little local market gets it occasionally. But I tend to get it only in the best places, as I find it quite delicate. Kind of like chamber music to salmon's orchestral.
Dinner sounds lovely.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:44 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
ChefJCarey wrote:
tarragon bearnaise

Redundant

What a shallow and useless statement. Thanks so much for your valuable contribution.

Great looking fish Jenise!

Kisses, Mr. Sweet.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:27 pm

Joseph - find an internet site where your useless commentary is appropriate. Don't let the door hit your fat, cranky ass on the way out.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:54 pm

Judging from appearances I don't think my ass is in a league with yours. Actually, mine's quite petite.

And who appointed you arbiter of language and thought here? I didn't see your badge.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:15 pm

Gents,

I am not familiar with any history of snipes between you, so, perhaps, this message is itself out of line. But that never stops me.

As everyone has gotten a few curt words in, can we all give it a rest?

Jeff
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:27 am

Absolutely, Jeff.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:19 am

One last comment Joseph and then I will let it drop. If you ever actually decide to provide useful commentary for the discussion I will be very pleased. However, you consistently toss off insulting comments to people's posts without offering any useful information. For example, since you're such a wonderful chef, you could have mentioned how you might have prepared the fish that was the original subject of this thread, rather than just insulting Jenise's preparation.

Or you could have just said nothing.

As for who appointed me arbiterf, I did. I defend my friends against stupid comments like yours.

Jeff - thanks for trying to step in, but Joseph has a pattern that needs to be changed.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:02 am

David M. Bueker wrote:One last comment Joseph and then I will let it drop. If you ever actually decide to provide useful commentary for the discussion I will be very pleased. However, you consistently toss off insulting comments to people's posts without offering any useful information. For example, since you're such a wonderful chef, you could have mentioned how you might have prepared the fish that was the original subject of this thread, rather than just insulting Jenise's preparation.

Or you could have just said nothing.

As for who appointed me arbiterf, I did. I defend my friends against stupid comments like yours.

Jeff - thanks for trying to step in, but Joseph has a pattern that needs to be changed.

Have you begun some new meds? Or quit taking some needed for maintenance? I didn't insult Jenise at all. Nor did I criticize her preparation. Hardly would have since it's one I use with fish all the time.

The sauce - Bearnaise -has as one of its defining characteristics the herb tarragon in it. I was merely pointing out - tersely - that to say "tarragoned Bearnaise" was, in fact, redundant.

Odd that you should be insulted when the individual at whom my comment was aimed wasn't. And when no insult was intended. Also, I've never found Jenise wanting in the self defense department. If there was a need for same.

And she and I were finished with it when she pointed out that she meant to say heavily "tarragoned."

But, you weren't, were you?

You will not be changing any of my patterns, my man. Not until you get a lot more cogent.

I tried to end this after Jeff's quite sane comment. But, no...
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:10 am

Okay, guys, this would be a real good place to wrap this up or, as a minimum, go to private Email.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:27 am

Done deal.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:16 pm

My two cents:

Joseph: For someone who is both a culinary professional and working at a writing career, your terseness, to borrow your word, often makes your intentions difficult to read. Or should I say, easy to mis-read. I know you pride yourself on being more Marlboro Man than Miss Manners, but I don't think anyone would mind your putting just a bit more effort into being a little less enigmatic.

David: You're a dear for coming to my defense, thank you.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming:

Dale: loved your comparison of arctic char to chamber music vs. salmon's orchestral work. In initially trying to describe the fish, I actually was searching around for descriptors in the area of volume, wanting to describe salmon as 'loud' before deciding that didn't hit the nail on the head. Your description gets it perfectly.

Ines: I hope you're able to find arctic char down there. You'll love it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:11 pm

Jenise wrote:My two cents:

Joseph: For someone who is both a culinary professional and working at a writing career, your terseness, to borrow your word, often makes your intentions difficult to read. Or should I say, easy to mis-read. I know you pride yourself on being more Marlboro Man than Miss Manners, but I don't think anyone would mind your putting just a bit more effort into being a little less enigmatic.

Quote truncated

Jenise, your two cents is worth at least a dollar! :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:11 pm

I'd rather be playing golf. Hey, I think I'll go do that.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:38 pm

Jenise wrote:Oh, and a bonus? On the conservation scale that has about seven categories from low to extinct, arctic char is rated in the lowest category. I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a fish that's so un-endangered it's not rated at all, but without further study that sounds good to me.

As I have written in many of my WTNs, I am a huge fan of this fish also, and I have often likened it to Brown Trout. Though Arctic Char is not endangered, it is becoming very rare in Scotland (and IIRC some parts of Canada?). Gladly, it is well available and in no danger here!

-O
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Previous