Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

FoodLetter bonus tip: World's easiest dessert

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

FoodLetter bonus tip: World's easiest dessert

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:57 am

I'm just absolutely crazy about fresh figs - purple Mission or green, I'll take them either way - and gleefully eat them like candy when they're in season, said season being all too short.

For a 10-second tip, though, here's a ridiculously easy way to turn the already delicious fig into one of the best (and easiest) desserts there is: Cut your fig in half, lengthwise. Dollop a spoonful of mascarpone cheese on the cut side of each half. Eat. I'll bet you can't stop with just one!
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: FoodLetter bonus tip: World's easiest dessert

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:22 am

As my former Wisconsin employers would say, "Youuuuu betcha!" I just recently grabbed a container of Calimyrna figs at Trader Joe's and have been popping them like M&M's since. It crossed my mind to chop some up fine and include them as part of the filling for braciole ... maybe with a few toasted pine nuts tossed in for good measure. (Of course, my mother wouldn't approve. She also doesn't like raisins in meatballs.)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:55 am

Same thing, only different - Years ago my sister introduced me to eating a thin slice of guava paste together with a thin slice of Muenster cheese. Not bad for breakfast either. :wink:
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:43 am

Figs and prosciutto - ambrosia.