Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Leftover Steak soup or teach a person to fish....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

RCP: Leftover Steak soup or teach a person to fish....

by Howard » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:22 am

This is really a technique more than a recipe because it can be adapted to all kinds of things. More on that at the end. I had about 1 1/2 pounds of leftover grilled ribeye steak that I didn't want to go to waste and so I scrounged around the pantry for something to do with it. Here's what I did:

1 1/2 lb grilled ribeye steak cut into 1 inch cubes
EVOO 3 tbl
butter 2 tbl
1 medium onion - diced
3 stalks celery - diced
2 carrots - diced
1 green pepper - diced
2 cans (28 ounce) tomatoes
dried thyme 1 tsp
dried rosemary 1/2 tsp
dried sage 1/4 tsp
ground cinnamon 1/4 tsp
red pepper flakes 1/4 tsp
1 1/2 cup chianti
2 cups beef broth (low salt)
2 cups water
S&P to taste
Fresh basil, parmesan cheese, EVOO to drizzle

polenta 1 2/3 cup
water 7 cups
2 tsp sea salt

Make the polenta using the "reduced stirring" method that has been described here several times.

Heat 1 tbl EVOO in a large pan (I used my 6 quart saute pan). Saute the grilled steak cubes for only 2-3 minutes just until they start to brown. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain the fat. Heat the remaining 2 tbl EVOO and butter then cook the onions for about 5 minutes on med-high. Add the carrots and celery and cook for another 5 minutes or so. Same with the green pepper. Add the thyme, sage, cinnamon, and rosemary and cook for a minute or two. Add the wine and reduce almost completely. Add the tomatoes and juice and cook for another 10 minutes until it starts to thicken. Add the water and beef broth. Let simmer for 10 - 15 minutes then adjust seasonings. Add the steak and any accumulated juices about 5 minutes before serving. I served this over polenta and dressed each bowl with fresh chopped basil, a tsp of parmesan and a drizzle of OO. Stunningly simple but really really flavorful.

And here's why I really like it. Leave out the water and serve over pasta. If you want a stew consistency, add some flour at the end to thicken. Want a lighter flavor? use white wine instead of red. Feel like mexican? Use cumin, chiles, and chipotle. Want Indian food? try cumin, masala, tumeric, cayenne. Use clam juice, white wine, olives and seafood for a provencal style. Maybe leftover chicken instead of steak, etc, etc. Could even be vegetarian with veggie broth and grilled or roasted vegetables. I think the key to this technique is the layered cooking of the ingredients, and the reductions.

Anyway, my kids loved it, I thought it was delicious and clean up was easy so this definitely goes into the repertoire.
Howard