Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Miso? Help!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Skye Astara

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:38 pm

Coastal Oregon

Miso? Help!

by Skye Astara » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:31 pm

I am craving miso badly. I have searched for hours online (my cookbooks are inaccessible at the moment) but keep coming across the same recipes or ideas.

I don't want to marinade chicken or fish with it (delicious, I know, just not what I'm craving now). Same goes for soup. What I am looking for is something tasty, easy, like a sandwich spread or ideas for combining it on a sandwich. I don't have tempeh, nor hummus, and am feeling more inclined toward either tofu or cheese(?)... if anyone has any ideas or experience, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also have some Lebneh (drained yogurt) and keep eying that as a possible combination but I don't know...

Oh, the type of miso that I have at the moment is called Hawaiian Style Mellow White Miso. I normally buy dark rich misos but this is the only kind that was available in the town where I was shopping that day.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Miso? Help!

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:44 pm

Think easy. Slice some extra firm tofu, drain, wrap in towels, get the moisture out.

Temper the miso with a little honey and mirin to make a spreadable paste. Mix in some peanut oil, then paint onto the tofu. Broil until it's bubbly and you see brown spots. Top with some finely-sliced scallion and pickled ginger.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:36 am

Hey Skye--not miso, but I'm going to do your potatoes tonight. Bought me a new can of mustard as I was about out, and some organic red potatoes. I'm going to serve them with grilled boneless/skinless chicken breasts marinated in olive oil and LOTS of garlic, that will in turn be drizzled with an arugula pesto.

So, explain your methodology again to me.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Skye Astara

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:38 pm

Coastal Oregon

by Skye Astara » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:38 pm

[quote="Jenise"

So, explain your methodology again to me.[/quote]

Sure; either use tiny new (actual new, not those undersized-but-cured-like-any-other-potato ones) potatoes, or cut normal potatoes up into the size that you want them. The smaller, the more flavour and quicker cooking obviously, I usually make them about three-quarters to an inch square. I do not peel them.

Lots and lots of EVOO, one that you particularly like the flavour of, of course. They should be veritably dripping at this point, otherwise the other stuff won't adhere enough. Toss to coat well. Add a ton of finely chopped fresh rosemary (I have a fear of sticks in my food that likely parallells your creamy-white-food adversion), a ton of chopped or pressed garlic (I prefer pressed for this)- till the garlic smells harmonious with the rosemary. You should now have excessively coated potatoes and little glops of stuff all over lol. Now I add a little dry mustard, Spike but coarse sea salt will suffice, white pepper. I think that's about it. Oh, green onions too, most times and powdered buttermilk if it's on hand.

"A little" in this context is of course proportionate to the other ingredients lol... I don't mean to imply a pinch or anything silly like that.

Pour into a baking dish. Shallower equals crustier but also drier, I usually do them in a dish that will end up with a layer of potatoes about 4 inches deep. 400 degrees, stir well about every 10-15 minutes (don't bother till they start to soften though) till they are cooked.

Should be moist, flavourful, a little saucy... delicious with chicken as long as the chicken is not too delicately flavoured, sounds like yours will be perfect.