Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

An Iranian cold soup perfect for summer.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

An Iranian cold soup perfect for summer.

by Bob Ross » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:30 pm

This soup comes in a number of versions, but the essential ingredients are buttermilk or yogurt, dill and cucumbers. We like it with raisins (soaked for half an hour before mixing).

I've seen recipes for it with walnuts, onions, white pepper, added salt, tomatoes and I'm sure many other possibilities.

Blend the ingredients together well in a food processor. Taste and adjust whatever seems to be missing -- cucumbers seem to be the biggest variable in our experience -- I peel them, but use the seeds and pith which have more flavor and which mix well with the rest of the ingredients.

The soup is better after a day or even two in the fridge where the flavors meld together in quite an extraordinary way.

Serve very cold, perhaps with shaved ice. Mix well before serving to get the raisin bits into suspension, if you use raisins.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

Re: An Iranian cold soup perfect for summer.

by ChefCarey » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:39 pm

Bob Ross wrote:This soup comes in a number of versions, but the essential ingredients are buttermilk or yogurt, dill and cucumbers. We like it with raisins (soaked for half an hour before mixing).

I've seen recipes for it with walnuts, onions, white pepper, added salt, tomatoes and I'm sure many other possibilities.

Blend the ingredients together well in a food processor. Taste and adjust whatever seems to be missing -- cucumbers seem to be the biggest variable in our experience -- I peel them, but use the seeds and pith which have more flavor and which mix well with the rest of the ingredients.

The soup is better after a day or even two in the fridge where the flavors meld together in quite an extraordinary way.

Serve very cold, perhaps with shaved ice. Mix well before serving to get the raisin bits into suspension, if you use raisins.

Regards, Bob

I make a similar summer soup with yogurt, heavy cream, cucumbers, grapes and fresh mint.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: An Iranian cold soup perfect for summer.

by Bob Ross » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:54 pm

I like the idea of grapes and mint, both new to me, chef. We used to use cream, but found that yogurt was enough richness.

Thanks for the suggestions.