Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What food will you NOT eat?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: What food will you NOT eat?

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:05 am

James Roscoe wrote:I still think you're being a little harsh but I'm not going to argue as much on that point. I would certainly vehemently deny that North America is a food wasteland however.

James, I take your point and maybe the language was unduly harsh.

I'd hold to my view that food and culture interact much differently in parts of Europe than in North America.

Maybe I should have said that North America was a 'waistland'..... :lol:
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:23 am

Damn! Just when a good food fight was about to break out we get all reasonable! What the hell, where's the cream pie?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:13 am

10 people in an American or Canadian city and ask them what they ate for lunch. Now do it in France or Italy. Don't pick and choose professional people, get some secretaries, taxi drivers, mechanics, road workers... and I can almost guarantee you that the sample from Europe will not only have eaten better, but that they will also show much greater interest in what they ate and usually took much more time over it.

I would take that bet for 95% of Europe. Other than the time thing- they do get longer lunch breaks. But, especially in the cities where most of the people in the occupations you name live, the stuff they eat is just as horrible, but with a local twist. When you get outside of France, Spain, and Italy, it's much worse.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:58 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:When you get outside of France, Spain, and Italy, it's much worse.

Don't forget Portugal. It's hard not to eat well in the Latin countries, but head north, and ... ehhhh ...
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:35 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Stuart Yaniger wrote:When you get outside of France, Spain, and Italy, it's much worse.

Don't forget Portugal. It's hard not to eat well in the Latin countries, but head north, and ... ehhhh ...

Yes, as we travelled south we found that there was a distinct sea-change as we entered southern Switzerland - the people became much warmer and the food, and interest in food, much more Mediterranean.
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:21 am

I will not eat anything that shits.

Sorry to be late in this discussion, but isn't the stuff inside puffballs akin to this?
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

by Eric Ifune » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:26 am

Quote:
Mark Willstatter wrote:
... California roll aside, there is plenty of authentically Japanese sushi that does not involve seafood of any kind.
... The term "sushi" encompasses basically anything that starts with sushied rice - in other words, rice flavored with sushi vinegar.

Randy R wrote:
Mark,

I don't want to belabor the point, I just want to understand. If pour definition "basically anything that..." is correct, why is California roll "aside". They look exactly like the ones with salmon and tuna when I get them. (I usually have all three in my number 13 menu Smile so it seems to me they count as sushi.

California roll is sushi, under the standard definition. It's just that if you walk into a restaurant in Japan that serves sushi, you aren't likely to find it. Never say never though, I understand a few Tokyo restaurants do have it on the menu!

On the other hand, I have a friend from Japan who must get her California roll fix whenever she visits the U.S. Go figure...

Actually Calfornia rolls, although invented in California (by a Japanese trained sushi chef), are very popular in Japan. Perhaps not seen so much in high end places; in the neighborhood places, it's pretty common.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:15 am

Eric Ifune wrote:
I will not eat anything that shits.

Sorry to be late in this discussion, but isn't the stuff inside puffballs akin to this?

You've got me mystified; the puffballs I've eaten were mushroom through and through.
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

by Eric Ifune » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:30 pm

Maybe I'm thinking of older ones just before they spore.
Previous