Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:31 pm

Vancouver BC

How to get out of Truffle

by Bill Spohn » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:54 am

So I had a few extra black truffles left over from my terrine making and was trying to think of something to do with them.

Finally fastened on a Spanish comfort food that was just perfect (yes, the do have truffles in Spain, and a truffle market in Morella, but I suspect that many of them end up in Perigord to be sold at higher prices as French product.

Take a half kilo of white beans (I used canellini but larger ones are good).

Soak them in water for a day and then drain and boil them with some black peppercorns and a half head of garlic and some bay leaves. Cook until soft but juicy, drain the excess water from them and add some EVOO - I used some Sassicaia oil - and some salt and let it bubble away a bit longer.

Slice up your truffle (I used 3 whole ones) into matchsticks, add to the beans, adjust salt and serve in bowls, adding EVOO to taste.

Simple but tasty comfort food.

I opened my last bottle of 1996 Clerico Barbera d'Asti and it went perfectly with the food. I suppose if you wanted real Italian authenticity you could do the dish with white truffles, but I like it better with black.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: How to get out of Truffle

by Jenise » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:34 am

YUMMMM!!!

The earthiness of the beans must have been a magnificent blank canvas for the truffles, nice job.

The downside is that you've probably had to move into the guest bedroom.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov