Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Watching Beirut Die

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Skye Astara

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:38 pm

Coastal Oregon

Re: Watching Beirut Die

by Skye Astara » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:27 am

Jenise wrote:
For a lot of Americans, I think "Beirut" is synonymous with "war zone" and has been for the last thirty years or so.

That's absolutely the case. But even among Lebanese, it's so.

I find this to be very interesting. My ex is Lebanese- both parents grew up there, most family still there. When I expressed concern about a planned annual trip there to visit grandparents and other family, I was met with defensiveness and the following statement repeated often: "Lebanon is the Switzerland of the Middle East". My point of view that this may not be the safest place for a vacation was resented mightily.

This was in 2001 if I'm not mistaken.
For the scientist, as for the poet, there are as many levels of wonder in the silent beat of a butterfly wing as in the howl of a wolf.
-Douglas H. Chadwick.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:11 am

Did anyone see the excellent op/ed piece by Michael Young in the New York Times yesterday? Young is one of my favorite writers in the region; I never miss his stuff in the Beirut Daily Star.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:11 am

Skye, so what we've established is that small as Lebanon is, it's big enough for there to be very divergent points of view about the same thing. Which also means that Lebanon is just like every other place on this earth. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Previous