Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Hatch under water

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Hatch under water

by Larry Greenly » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:16 am

Hellooo, out there....

After several years of severe drought conditions, New Mexico has been deluged with rainstorm after rainstorm this summer. (I must have brought the rains with me, after my trip to PA, which also had continuous rains and severe flooding).

Everything is so green and damp, it must resemble the area Jenise lives in. I even have mushrooms coming up in my front and back yard. A local chef also told me how I can prepare the local and plentiful snails for eating. (My turtle had a snail riding on him. I swear I could hear the snail saying, "Wheee!")

Albuquerque has had quite a bit of flooding. So far, two people have been swept away (at 30 mph, but rescued) by water running in arroyos. Nearby Rio Rancho has had some suburbs really get hit hard. Those areas that didn't have paved roads yet were completely cut off when those roads were completely washed away by the rains, exposing water and sewer lines.

Now for the bad news: NM has a bumper crop of chile this year (a friend has already put up seven sacks of chile in his chile-only freezer), but Hatch--which grows some of the best--is completely under water and the area's crop may be lost.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

Re: Hatch under water

by Larry Greenly » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:14 am

Anyone out there?

Good news. The Hatch chile crop, unlike the village itself, is not flooded. There's about another 6 weeks of harvest left, so if there's not too much more rain to ruin the crop, everything should be okay. So far, the market price is staying steady.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:53 am

I'm sorry to hear about all the flooding out there, Larry. I've work associates down in White Sands and they are in a mess as well. Hope you and your family are safe.

I'm glad the chile crop is doing well. I'm down to my last dozen bags of Hatch chile in my freezer.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:32 am

We're situated in a part of Albuquerque that should never get flooded. The worst that's happened to us so far from all the rain is my piano has really gotten out of tune and our swamp cooler doesn't work too well with all this humidity.