Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Cream of Lemon Soup

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

RCP: Cream of Lemon Soup

by Bill Spencer » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:52 pm

%^)

Yeah - I know ... here comes that "lemon guy" again ...

2 T Olive oil
2 Medium sweet onions, thinly sliced
1/2 C Carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
3/4 C Celery, thinly sliced
2 Lemons, rind thinly pared and rinds reserved and lemons juiced and juice reserved
4 C Chicken stock or broth
2 Bay leaves
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2/3 C Light cream

In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the olive oil, onions, carrots, and celery ... cover the saucepan and cook the mixture for 10 ro 15 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften ... meanwhile, in a small saucepan filled with water and heated to boiling, add the lemon rinds, blanch for 15 seconds, remove the lemon rinds, throw out the water, refill the suacepan with new water and bring to a boil, add the lemon rinds again, blanch for 15 seconds, remove the lemon rinds, throw out the water, refill the saucepan with new water and bring to a boil, add the lemon rinds one last time, and blanch for 15 seconds ... remove the blanched lemon rinds and reserve ... when the vegetables have softened, add the blanched lemon rinds, lemon juice, chicken stock, and bay leaves ... season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil ... cover and reduce to a simmer and cook for 40 minutes or until both the carrots and celery are very tender ... remove from heat and cool the mixture a bit ... remove the bay leaves ... pour the mixture into a blender and puree until smooth ... return the mixture to a clean saucepan, reheat but do not bring to a boil, and stir in the cream ... may be served either hot or cold ... you could also make it a bit prettier presentation garnished with a bit of sliced green onions, chives, or the like and thinly pared fresh lemon slices ...

Makes approximately 6 servings

Cream of lemon soup - whoda thunk it !

Clink !

%^)
Last edited by Bill Spencer on Thu May 04, 2006 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: RC: Cream of Lemon Soup

by Bob Ross » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:10 pm

This soup was delicious at our Polish Easter, Bill. I was a little frustrated -- my son sauteed the onions and made scalloped potatoes -- everything else came from the Polish deli or mail order.

Apart from opening the wine, I had nothing to do.

So -- I made this soup -- it was the star of our show! I was even able to convince two of the diners the lemons came from hothouses in the south of Poland. :-)

Thanks for helping a frustrated cook stay sane and away from the jelly beans.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

You're welcome, Bob !

by Bill Spencer » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:32 am

%^)

So few people really know how versatile the lowly lemon is ... if they did and used it as much as I do, I'd be a rich farmer instead of a poor one and be posting a lot more tasting notes on wines for now I'll never be able to afford ... I read the TN's on the other "board" and lust after many of them accordingly ... sigh ... maybe someday ...

I actually have another lemon soup recipe I'll be posting on ... and when you see it, you may be upset with me that I didn't post THAT one before your big meal ... it's main ingredient is a lot more "Polish" than lemons ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: You're welcome, Bob !

by Bob Ross » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:42 pm

There's only so much Polish I can take in a Polish dinner, Bill. :-)

[Or at least my arteries. Although, I must say, I really loved the lard on offer in so many bars in Poland. Janet can't stand the idea, but it was so delicate and so variable in taste ... ]

I'll look forward to the lemon soup recipe -- the one I made was really declcious.

Thanks again, regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Re: RC: Cream of Lemon Soup

by Howard » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:57 pm

Nice idea. What wine would you serve with it? I'm thinking cold for brunch, maybe.
Howard