Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Eggs in a hole last night

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Eggs in a hole last night

by Larry Greenly » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:41 am

Someone gave me a package of Harry & David's smoked salmon, so I used some homemade bread I made a few days ago as the base for Eggs in a Hole.

Essentially you cut a hole in a thick slice of bread, saute one side in butter, then flip it and break an egg into the hole. Season it and cook to preferred doneness. Serve two on a plate, accompanied by dollops of pesto and julienned salmon.

I had green peas as the side dish and a crisp white Pinot Grigio to quaff. Pretty good and I have some leftover salmon for another dish.

And all of this was accompanied by the heavenly aroma of a nearby 30-lb sack of green chiles destined for Ohio's soon-to-be-lucky Niki.
no avatar
User

Laura Brand-Bauer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:05 pm

Hanover, Michigan

Re: Eggs in a hole last night

by Laura Brand-Bauer » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:28 pm

My husband and I have been making Eggs in a Hole ever since watching "V for Vendetta" a couple of weeks ago. IIRC, they called it something else - perhaps One-Eyed somebody or other?

A few years ago we had been somewhat Atkins-oriented and still tend to limit our carbs. So this was the recipe that got him to start making (and eating) homemade bread again. I'm very happy :D
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:23 pm

Welcome aboard with your first post. Bread baking is where it's at. I love baking bread of all sorts.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:58 pm

sounds great - will have to try that
no avatar
User

Laura Brand-Bauer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:05 pm

Hanover, Michigan

by Laura Brand-Bauer » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:53 am

Larry Greenly wrote:Welcome aboard with your first post. Bread baking is where it's at. I love baking bread of all sorts.

Thanks for the greeting! I was a low-impact member several years ago, but I'm glad to see y'all still here. I'll probably be slinking back more often now that my husband and I are planning a move to Willamette to grow some wine.
no avatar
User

Mike Conner

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 am

Knoxville, TN

Daddy's Eggs!

by Mike Conner » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:25 am

Well, I'm sure "Daddy's Eggs" is not the name most folks use when describing what you call eggs in a hole. But, that has been my name for the method since forever (well, forever for me). Very much a favorite, but I haven't made them in quite some time... must correct this - especially as I have some yummy organic eggs in my fridge.

But, my version has to be 'over easy' with the yolk still in tact. This way, I can carefully cut/pull off the bread from the egg in the middle, cut the bread and use it to dip into the yolk. Once I have finished the fried bread from around the egg, the center piece (also fried on both sides in butter) is used for the now 'empty' egg to sit on and is cut in half/more and eaten.

Yum.

Don't ever serve with anything else other than perhaps some orange juice. Maybe some bacon if you've been cooking ahead.

(I'll have to ask my mom what some of the other names have been used for this style of egg/bread feast)

Thanks,

Mike

In search of the perfect QPR wine.... does it exist?
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:31 pm

Also called rocky mountain toast among many others I'm sure. Obviously bacon fat instead of butter will produce delicious if coronary clogging results.
Howard