Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: What's cooking?

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:07 pm

Summer garden spaghetti sauce fashioned from the San Marzano tomato sauce I made the other day, mixed with a quick saute of minced onions, green peppers and garlic, yellow summer squash sliced paper-thin, and additional peeled and diced fresh San Marzanos.

Wine match: Capezzana 2007 Barco Reale Carmignano. Not bad at all with this San Marzano-based veggie pasta, but frankly it would be better still with rare red meat.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:08 pm

Jenise wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote: They love tomatoes and call my house "Tomato World".

That's adorable.

Jenise, you might appreciate this. My granddaughter is just eight, very sharp, and detail orgainized, with a sense of humor. While she was eating her S'Mores yesterday afternoon, grandpa said, "Miki Rae, you have S'Mores all over your chin!" In less than one second, and with a dead pan stare, she says, "Oh, I'm saving that for later!".
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:01 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:Jenise, you might appreciate this. My granddaughter is just eight, very sharp, and detail orgainized, with a sense of humor. While she was eating her S'Mores yesterday afternoon, grandpa said, "Miki Rae, you have S'Mores all over your chin!" In less than one second, and with a dead pan stare, she says, "Oh, I'm saving that for later!".

Quick and clever; that girl's going to be unstoppable!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:31 pm

I'm working on a quick spaghetti alla puttanesca using the last of that excellent fresh garden San Marzano sauce. Not in the mood for a heavy Southern Italian red, but thinking a white from the region - Taburno 2009 Falanghina - might get the job done.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:47 am

Tonight we've cut up a chicken and bunged it on a roasting tray with potatoes and carrots. It's roasting away happily...
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:54 am

Trucha.

Another rainbow trout from the fishmonger, roasting in the oven. Assorted root vegetables and greens to be served with a spicy sauce on the side.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:54 pm

Last night we had smoked salmon fettucine on a 40 foot sailboat. Pretty cool.

Today it rains, so I'm taking advantage of the cool weather to braise a bone-in veal roast. We're losing our water supply for a few days come Monday so it will be nice to have some reheatable leftovers.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:22 pm

Jenise wrote:Last night we had smoked salmon fettucine on a 40 foot sailboat. Pretty cool.

Whoa! I've seen fancy sushi served on boats, but they're usually only about a foot long! :lol:
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:10 pm

I'm on my own tonight, so I'm looking at Caprese and an Acme Herb Slab (aka focaccia). A Dark and Stormy to start with and probably then whatever wine strikes my fancy.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:17 pm

Full locavore dinner tonight: Dreamcatcher Farm lamb chops pan-seared with garden rosemary, served with garden romano beans and farmers' market new potatoes.
no avatar
User

Heinz Bobek

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Munich Germany

by Heinz Bobek » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:01 pm

The other day we had Monkfish filet fried in butter with vanilla bean and lime zests on a creamy fish sauce perfumed with basil leaves. Served with potatoes "La ratte"
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:16 pm

Tonight it's whole roasted chicken, stuffed with onion, garlic and thyme sprigs, smothered with butter and fresh thyme, roasted on top of onions and leeks, which get nice and caramelized. Mushroom risotto, and long beans tossed with cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, butter and a little sugar.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:24 pm

Grilled, butterflied leg of lamb seasoned with Aleppo pepper, Greek oregano, cumin, paprika, garlic, sliced lemons, salt, pepper. Tzatziki - trying hard to use the cucs. Carmelized cauliflower with fresh garlic. Fresh Georgia peach ice cream-trying hard to use those as well
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:04 pm

Pasta with a garlicky marinara sauce, which I've been lusting for ever since Robin posted the pics of his San Marzano tomatoes and subsequent red sauce. We'll start with a green salad dressed with a chopped olive and shallot vinaigrette.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:13 pm

Tonight was good. Pan-fried center cut pork chops. Caprese with a really nice burrata. And a killer skillet potato gratin.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:47 am

Last night was some gorgeous veal rib chops found on sale for $11.99 per lb -- grilled with fresh rosemary, garlic infused olive oil, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Roasted baby yukon golds, and fresh corn sauteed with frozen peas and shallots.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:33 pm

A panini sandwich, made with sourdough, my sun-dried tomato pesto, left over roasted chichen breast slices, gold and red tomato slices, and havarti cheese along with grilled corn on the cob.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:16 am

I'm taking advantage of the summer produce to make a zucchini casserole this week. I also want to duplicate the nectarine and strawberry cobbler I made for a church fundraiser and share it with coworkers but I may have to double the recipe to have enough. I've made German potato salad twice this summer and will do so again for a fifth Sunday potluck supper after church on August 29. (It's also our "crank up" Sunday when we sign up people for committees and various jobs such as Sunday school teacher, altar guild, helping with the newsletter, etc.)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:53 pm

Lunch today, stuffed tomato with tuna salad. No gloppy mayo...just the olive oil from the can, celery heart stalk with leaves, red onion, pickled jalapeno slices, cherry toms, chives, salt and pepper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:05 pm

Looks tasty, Karen. i love that Harris Teeter is now carrying packages of assorted heirloom tomatoes included sungold, Cherokee purple, etc.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:09 pm

I love it when tomato season is here in CA...I go nuts every Saturday at the market...since my tomatoes were duds this year, I resort to the Farmer's Markets. The colors are so beautiful, I come home with way too many. It's OK this year however, because I am out of my roasted tomato sauce, so each week I roast what I have not used and go to the Farmer's and buy more. The heirlooms are coming in now! :D
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:03 pm

I'm going to a tomato dinner tomorrow night in Raleigh. Five tomato-centric courses with heirloom tomatoes and five wines paired to the courses.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Last night I made gumbo from the garden (mostly), using garden okra and tomatoes, and loaded the veggies with reconstituted leftover garlic-rosemary pork, shrimp and Tasso ham left over from Equus & Jack's Lounge, a local eatery, the previous night.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:32 pm

Tonight we are having turkey burgers laced with fresh baby spinach and green onion, topped with thinly sliced fuji apple and sharp cheddar cheese.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
PreviousNext