Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's cooking?

by Jenise » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:24 pm

I'm terrine-ing today so completely uninterested in preparing dinner. A bite here and there as I test the components seems to keep me from getting hungry. So it's 4:30 and I have no plan. Didn't have one for lunch either, so when Bob begged for food? A cold plate with some of Friday's terrine--this is one of the best kind of leftovers to have around.
IMG_4463.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:04 pm

Jenise wrote: A cold plate with some of Friday's terrine--this is one of the best kind of leftovers to have around.

Yum-mo! :) Tomatoes were involved in our dinner too. We're eating a lot of them this season.

Spaghetti salsa cruda with chunks of ripe, juicy Italian heirloom tomatoes and fresh basil tossed with green Sicilian olive oil and hot spaghetti, brought up to meet Pinot Noir with dabs of fresh Mozzarella and mild goat cheese. 

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:28 pm

Tonight it is grilled rib eye steak with Mushroom, thyme and white truffle oil risotto made with home made chicken stock.
Fresh green beans cooked simply in shallot, fresh tarragon, and lemon.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:07 pm

Stir-fried beef with snow peas tonight.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:08 pm

Eggplant steaks, pan-seared and oven-finished, smothered with mushrooms and onions sautéed in Sicilian olive oil. 

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:16 pm

Jeez Louise!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:25 am

Tonight it is pizza with my own sauce, tomatoes and basil. I think I will throw on some artichoke hearts and mozzarella.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:26 am

That is beautiful Robin, sounds rather rich. Did you have some sort of salad with it?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:59 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:That is beautiful Robin, sounds rather rich. Did you have some sort of salad with it?

Oh, yes, I should have mentioned that. Mary made a nice, simple salad with lots of diced tomatoes from the garden. And on the side, a NZ Pinot Noir for this month's WIne Focus!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:58 pm

Haven't been planning many dinners lately. By the time I finish working on terrines all day, I'm basically spent: anxious, and not very hungry so I end up scrounging to throw something together for Bob's sake more than my own. Tonight's dinner--planned earlier today and looked forward to--is a very welcome return to normal and one of my favorite simple summer dinners: corn on the cob (yellow!) and a fresh tomato salad.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:27 pm

Jenise wrote:Haven't been planning many dinners lately. By the time I finish working on terrines all day, I'm basically spent: anxious, and not very hungry so I end up scrounging to throw something together for Bob's sake more than my own. Tonight's dinner--planned earlier today and looked forward to--is a very welcome return to normal and one of my favorite simple summer dinners: corn on the cob (yellow!) and a fresh tomato salad.

Sounds good Jenise. One of my favorite summer meals is a whole artichoke, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers! :D
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:45 pm

Spicy red lentil dal with okra and onions. Filling and full of protein. It was a great match with Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen. 

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:24 pm

Roasted Cornish game hen halves, baked potatoes, coleslaw with green onions and tiny shrimp, and sliced garden tomatoes.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:59 pm

Patatas bravas, a traditional Spanish dish of roasted potatoes tossed in a sauce of tomatoes, onions and garlic, smoky and hot paprika, made in a lighter summer variation using barely cooked chunks of fresh tomato. 

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:57 pm

Tonight we had, you guessed it, grilled rib eye over charcoal and mesquite chips, corn-on-the-cob, and sliced tomato; washed down with a Knapp Cabernet Franc. Yum!!!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:34 pm

Beef short ribs, with a mix of Serrano, jalapeño, Hatch peppers, tomatillos, garden tomatoes, leeks, garlic, herbs, balsamic, served over Pappardelle pasta. Steamed broccoli, and a salad of red and green romaine lettuce, radicchio lemon cukes, and Chocolate Striped tomatoes. We are drinking a home made cab that our neighbor makes. :)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:08 pm

Our recent discussions on faux meats prompted me to samole something new: LightLife Smart Wings with a celery and blue cheese salad, served with farmers' market potato rolls and a simple Rioja Vega 2009 Rioja. "Hail to thee, blithe spirit! Bird thou never wert." ;)

no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:16 pm

Homegrown heirloom chicken cooked in a dutch oven on the gas grill, with crushed tomato, stock, celery, red bell pepper, Vidalia onion, and Balti curry seasoning from Penzeys. Served over mixed brown, red and black rices.
Gail gave it a big thumbs up for flavor, and the chicken turned out tasty and tender.
Faux meat? I don't think so...
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:09 am

Robert Reynolds wrote:Faux meat? I don't think so...

Why not? It tastes just like chicken. :twisted:
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:41 am

Robert Reynolds wrote:Homegrown heirloom chicken cooked in a dutch oven on the gas grill, with crushed tomato, stock, celery, red bell pepper, Vidalia onion, and Balti curry seasoning from Penzeys. Served over mixed brown, red and black rices.
Gail gave it a big thumbs up for flavor, and the chicken turned out tasty and tender.
Faux meat? I don't think so...

I don't grasp the faux meat, either. However, I do know folks who, because of medical reasons, cannot eat meats and really miss it. So, if the faux meat can fill that void in their lives, that is good. As for me, I am eating what I love, in moderation, and hoping I will never have to give anything up.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:46 am

Yesterday I had a hankering for veal. So when in town to run some errands I stopped in the local super and found to my great surprise two beautiful veal "porterhouses." I marinated them for an hour in Marsala, and then dried and seasoned with salt, pepper,and grandulated garlic. Grilled over charcoal and black cherry chips. They were fantastic with zucchini from our garden nuked with onion, seasoning, butter, and Romano. Excellante'.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:43 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
Jenise wrote:Haven't been planning many dinners lately. By the time I finish working on terrines all day, I'm basically spent: anxious, and not very hungry so I end up scrounging to throw something together for Bob's sake more than my own. Tonight's dinner--planned earlier today and looked forward to--is a very welcome return to normal and one of my favorite simple summer dinners: corn on the cob (yellow!) and a fresh tomato salad.

Sounds good Jenise. One of my favorite summer meals is a whole artichoke, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers! :D

We could eat together!

Tonight's dinner is a little inspired by Carrie's thread on 'whole' foods. Still reeling from a little case of PTSD (post-Terrine stress disorder :) ), I've decided to go as far in the other direction as possible with nothing but corn on the cob, boiled shrimp and wilted cabbage seasoned with but water and salt.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:48 pm

Zucchini Provençal with fresh tomatoes, fresh thyme, onions and garlic over spaghetti. 

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:12 am

Had fettucine in a sauce that consisted of oil-packed tuna, capers, onion, garlic, golden raisins, and parsley. Good stuff.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
PreviousNext