Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: What's cooking?

by Redwinger » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:46 am

A pork loin roast procured from a local processor that actually had flavor as opposed to that "other white meat" available at the supermarket. In fact, prior to roasting, this roast was more pink than white. Some root veggies accompanied.

Opened a 2002 JJ Prum Graacher Himmelreich Spatlese Resling which was a delight and paired well with the pork.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:32 pm

Dungeness!!

Tonight I was going to do chicken and rice project #1, but friends called and said they put out crab traps today and got more than their limit. So they put the traps back down with more bait, came back and called us. We're going back out with them later: whatever's in the traps, that's our dinner. God, I love living on the water!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:37 pm

We had Chicken Breasts rosemary. You take unboned and unskined chicken breast halves and roast them on a bed of onions and peppers, with lots of fresh chopped rosemary and garlic, and some EVOO to keep everyone honast. It makes a meal in itself. Had Apple Cobbler for dessert.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:45 am

Homemade Apple pie just came out of the oven.l
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:20 pm

Jerk chicken for dinner last night.

Dal, rice, cardamom chicken korma and a vegetable jalfrezi planned for this evening.
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:32 am

Just made a HUGE batch of Chicken Cacciatore!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:33 pm

An organic, locally sourced pork loin, grilled and basted with a reduced mix of balsamic vinegar and maple syrup. Pork will be served with thick sliced apple and red onion wedges, sautéed in butter A side of Israeli couscous, with dried cranberries hydrated in fresh orange juice, celery, scallions, toasted almonds and a curry vinaigrette.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:37 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:An organic, locally sourced pork loin, grilled and basted with a reduced mix of balsamic vinegar and maple syrup. Pork will be served with thick sliced apple and red onion wedges, sautéed in butter A side of Israeli couscous, with dried cranberries hydrated in fresh orange juice, celery, scallions, toasted almonds and a curry vinaigrette.

Sounds delicious Karen. No worry your end about high you-know-what?!!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:37 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:An organic, locally sourced pork loin, grilled and basted with a reduced mix of balsamic vinegar and maple syrup. Pork will be served with thick sliced apple and red onion wedges, sautéed in butter A side of Israeli couscous, with dried cranberries hydrated in fresh orange juice, celery, scallions, toasted almonds and a curry vinaigrette.

Sounds delicious Karen. No worry your end about high you-know-what?!!

Well, we do watch it Bob. Never did serve desserts after dinner. Gene likes sweets more than I do...he is on Lipitor and has it managed. He has been told to lay off of ice cream and cheese. I am using much less cheese but ice cream, is a problem. Gene loves it as did his mother, he is much better than he used to be. I don't have the problem yet...at 71. When I say I saute in butter, it might be about 2 teaspoons, then I add a little homemade chicken stock to finish the cooking.. We also use Smart Balance, but have been told that real butter is better, health wise. I don't use much of it. A pound lasts a long time here.
We eat tons of veggies, lots of fiber in our diet and fresh, in season fruits. I do buy an Oatmeal bread for toast and include oatmeal and flax seed in healthy type muffins, pancakes, etc.
Gone are the days of hamburgers, fries and milkshakes, I make them at home now...baked fries, turkey burgers and our milkshake is a glass of wine! :)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:56 pm

Plant-based ma po tofu with locally produced tofu made yesterday and purchased straight from the processor, Roots Heart & Soy. 

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:16 pm

Sourdough Bread.

2011-11 sourdough bread 004.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:19 pm

Our mornings are in the 30's now for a few days and we got a little rain, so I was craving meatloaf. I've not made it in years, I remembered one from an American Heart Association book I used to own. Came up with something that was close to it using simple ingredients. I used Bison, red onion, uncooked oatmeal, my homemade tomato sauce, salt and pepper, 1 egg, and a mix of Heinz Chile Sauce and Gulden's Brown Mustard on top. It was very good, very moist. Served with mashed, skin-on red potatoes, a little buttermilk, non-fat sour cream, and garden chives. Steamed broccoli finished off the meal. Leftovers will be had tonight, with shredded green and red cabbage, carrots, cilantro, with a white wine vinegar dressing.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:23 pm

Winger, pass me a hot thick slice of that decked out with cold pats of butter, would you? MMMMMMMM.

Dinner tonight: chicken and dumplings. I THINK. Some chanterelles are talking to me too, might take a different tack though I don't know what yet. Maybe chicken/chanterelle-something with rice.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:21 pm

Pasghetti! With a Kentucky Cabernet Sauvignon from Horseshoe Bend that was remarkably good.
pasghetti.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Pasghetti! With a Kentucky Cabernet Sauvignon from Horseshoe Bend that was remarkably good.
pasghetti.jpg

OK, clue me in on the passghetti! Our kids used to call it that before they could pronounce the "S" before the "P". :lol:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:39 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:OK, clue me in on the passghetti! Our kids used to call it that before they could pronounce the "S" before the "P". :lol:

You got it in one! I was just using a childhood name for childhood comfort food. :)
no avatar
User

Daniel Kovnat

Rank

Just got here

Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:36 am

Israel

by Daniel Kovnat » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:16 am

Four cheese omelet copied from the Four Cheese Fetucinni I had a Donatelo Restaurant in Tel Aviv. It is creamy and rich and FULL of calories, but what the heck, it's delicious.

I have been told that I don't make omelets the "correct" way. Any input from the forum? I put the contents of my omelets on half of the egg on a frying pan and then fold over the other half, giving a "sandwich" effect. I actually write a weekly blog post on my israelwinetaster.com blog which is mainly about the wines of Israel. I invite all to check out my last post by clicking on http://wp.me/p1Dfhj-8k.
Come on over to read about my experience tasting wines produced in Israel at http://www.israelwinetaster.com
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:48 am

Daniel Kovnat wrote:Four cheese omelet copied from the Four Cheese Fetucinni I had a Donatelo Restaurant in Tel Aviv. It is creamy and rich and FULL of calories, but what the heck, it's delicious.

I have been told that I don't make omelets the "correct" way. Any input from the forum? I put the contents of my omelets on half of the egg on a frying pan and then fold over the other half, giving a "sandwich" effect. I actually write a weekly blog post on my israelwinetaster.com blog which is mainly about the wines of Israel. I invite all to check out my last post by clicking on http://wp.me/p1Dfhj-8k.

Daniel, the tri-fold is definitely considered classic, but some stuffings just do better folded in half--like the crab and avocado omelet I'm going to make for my husband this morning.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:08 pm

Changed up my yogurt and tea this morning for a more substantial breakfast. Decided to have a bagel and cream cheese piled high with sauteed wild mushrooms and sliced green grape tomatoes. Yum! :P

Breakfast.jpg
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:36 pm

Last night, it was roasted pork tenderloin with a cranberry-balsamic sauce. Side dishes were brussels sprouts sauteed with bacon (brought by our friend Annie) and baked potatoes. Easy and delicious.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:08 pm

Well, it was 65 degrees F around here today; so we smoked a rack of St Louis ribs that we had rubbed with the last of our rub, and smoked over hickory chips for three hours. After bringing them in we slathered them with our tangy BBQ sauce and served with sourdough bisquits. Sort of like the 4th of July on the 7th of November. Washed it all down with some Spaten Octoberfest brew that they are still selling around here and still tastes good.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:12 pm

A grilled flank steak with the best beef marinade I have ever had. I could not keep my spoon out of it all day. Southern baked beans and a broccoli floret salad with green onions, dried cranberries, very crisp bacon bits and a honey Pear vinaigrette. The beans are baking in the oven and the house smells so nice.

Jo Ann...your breakfast sounds fantastic, and again....great pictures.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:14 pm

Carl, it's much colder here today, low 40's. Drizzling rain, too, so an odd day for fish tacos but that's what we're having. Or at least, that's what we were going to have for lunch (fresh true cod!) before Bob unexpectedly got called up for jury duty late in the morning. Maybe I'll go another direction with it.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:14 pm

Jenise wrote:so an odd day for fish tacos but that's what we're having.

Beverly fell in love with fish tacos on a trip down South last spring. Fortunately we have been able to find some around here. Haven't tried to make 'em yet.
PreviousNext