Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's cooking?

by Jenise » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:54 pm

Jeff, you've got quite a menu going there! We're spending Tday with friends, and will be taking the pumpkin pies (made from fresh pumpkin, of course!), a green bean and shitake mushroom dish, plus an appetizer. Haven't decided what the latter will be yet.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:38 pm

Okay, dinner tonight? At home, just the two of us, prime rib and 1988 Chateau Margaux. Just for the hell of it!!!!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:46 pm

Jenise wrote:Okay, dinner tonight? At home, just the two of us, prime rib and 1988 Chateau Margaux. Just for the hell of it!!!!

Wow - you know how to end a Monday on the right note!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:52 pm

Jenise wrote:Okay, dinner tonight? At home, just the two of us, prime rib and 1988 Chateau Margaux. Just for the hell of it!!!!

We can see who knows how to plan a mid-week menu!

PS. Pistachio ice cream is churned; quinces are simmering in a bottle of muscat and a vanilla bean.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:34 pm

We went out tonight, so Mary made an early, light dinner that I thought was awesome - a "cream" of carrot soup made with carrots, browned onions and garlic with tahini, and a little cayenne and thyme, S&P, buzzed into a puree and served with a little chopped mint as garnish.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:38 am

Thanksgiving Eve goodies, touching on the plate. Went great with Monte Antico 2007 Toscana.

no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:11 pm

Slurp! :D
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:43 pm

Szechuan fried rice with egg, white rice, whatever veggies are in the fridge (to make up for a lot of meat consumption in the past few days), ginger, garlic and Szechuan peppercorns.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:18 pm

We had our T-Day dinner at some friends' house, so we brought sides and such. I made parsley buttered potatoes and a sweet potato pudding that included lots of coconut milk, ginger, and cinnamon. Quite sweet. My wife made a pomegranate salad.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:35 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:We had our T-Day dinner at some friends' house, so we brought sides and such.

Dittoes, and Mary took charge of it and made an incredible, easy black-bean soup that involved a lot of browned onions and garlic, a boatload of minced ginger, peanut oil saute, add a couple of cans of Goya black beans and about the same amount of water; buzz with a stick blender until it's a thick puree and then finish with S&P and a short shot of Sriracha, a dash of soy sauce and sesame oil. Proportions ad lib, but you want to end up with a deep black bean flavor with a distinct ginger undertone, the rest playing in the background. She got it right. It was so awesome that everyone filled up on it before even getting to the bird.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:43 pm

Ooh, that black bean soup sounds good... will have to try that.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:39 pm

Salil wrote:Ooh, that black bean soup sounds good... will have to try that.

Salil, we got the original from the Soup Chick Blog sometime in the past couple of months, so a more specific recipe ought to be findable. Even this brief discussion ought to get you there, though.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:39 pm

We recovered today with Mac (penne) and Cheese (Manchego) with a Tres Picos Garnacha that we got for $6 off price at our NHLiq store).
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanksgiving dinner was coq au vin, accompanied by a wonderful 1993 Armand Rousseau Chambertin-Clos de Beze.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:24 am

The friends who had us over for T-day dinner were working at a craft fair all day today and tomorrow, so we had them over for something of a leftover party. I had thrown a turkey in the oven to provide sandwiches, soup, etc., so we put that out on the table along with leftover sweet potato pudding, pomegranate salad, and some mashed spuds. Our friends brought dressing, sauteed greens, and a Caribbean bean dish that were leftover from Thanksgving. We had it all with an Amici sauv blanc and a 2003 Cedarville Granache. For dessert, my wife whipped up a quick almond torte that she served with zabaglione and raspberries. It was a great supper. It was like Thanksgiving but more intimate given that there were only the four of us (with our kids, who were not at the table for long).

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:43 am

Yesterday, after golf, I couldn't think of any more turkey so I threw together a pot of two types of Rancho Gordo beans cooking them with chicken stock and the juice of San Marzano tomato until tender and their liquor was the consistancy of thin gravy. I then sauteed several onions, lots of garlic, celery and San Marzano tomato until almost done and added a pound of fresh local, Pennsylvania, Kielbasa sausage and other seasonings until the sausage was just cooked. Served in bowls with a drizzle of good olive oil, cracked pepper and fresh shaved pecorino romano cheese and crustini. Wonderful. Paired with a nice primitivo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:04 am

Drew,
I could eat that!
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:46 pm

A couple of recent breads that turned out great.

Whole Wheat Oatmeal:

Santa Rug 007.JPG

Almond Fennel Bread:

Santa Rug 011.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:11 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:...simmer the quinces for the quince and apple pie that's scheduled for Wednesday baking...

And Thursday eating:
pie.jpg
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:44 am

Winger, your breads are works of art and Jeff...what a pie!

Drew
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:49 pm

Two recent meals: The other night, a salad of roasted pumpkin and onions tossed with walnuts and celery in a light sesame dressing, served with chard sautéed with garlic and dressed with a little tahini. 

Tonight, green bean and onion curry with ginger and garlic, Thai Panang-style with coconut milk, served with steaming white rice.

no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:28 am

I'll have some of Winger's bread with a side of Robin's curry, please. YUM! :P
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:48 am

Tonight was mixed green salad with ciabatta toasted with ripe garden tomatoes and fresh mozz (OK, so the plants bought it in last night's frost and we had to rescue the fruit), Patricia Wells's crustless onion quiche, and pots de creme. Gruet Brut to toast Stuart's birthday.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:17 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Tonight was mixed green salad with ciabatta toasted with ripe garden tomatoes and fresh mozz (OK, so the plants bought it in last night's frost and we had to rescue the fruit), Patricia Wells's crustless onion quiche, and pots de creme. Gruet Brut to toast Stuart's birthday.

You may say it's frost, but I think those tomatoes just decided to give it up for Stuart's b-day.

- Julia Child
PreviousNext