Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: What's cooking?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:32 pm

Jenise wrote: Cooking large is just a math problem.

Cynthia, dinner sounds great. Do you make big lots of tamales and then freeze them for later use?

That's what Della the chef at my former retreat workplace in NM said. I was fine with jumping in and doing meals for 40 when she was ill or something came up, but 90... I don't think I want to do that. Especially without sous chef help.

I used to make many dozens of tamales with Della every year around now and we'd freeze them for Christmas Eve. I sorely miss those huge extended-family tamaladas at her home. Last year we joined some friends in San Antonio for one the week after Christmas and brought home a few dozen.

This was the first time I've attempted the vegetarian masa version. Most masa gets the great flavor from the lard, of course, so I was searching for a way to bring in extra flavor to these. I took the advice of Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger and added stock and salsa to the masa harina as I mixed it. Of course, they add chicken stock, but vegetable stock worked great.

I've already decided I am going to get really good at this. All it takes is practice. And a devil may care attitude to fat content. ;)
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:53 pm

Good for you, Cynthia. Good to see you again, BTW. I'm interested in learning to make lau lau. If anyone is going to give a LauLau party in this part of the country, please invite me. I would like to watch and learn the process. I'll provide the pork and or black cod!.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:24 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I sorely miss those huge extended-family tamaladas at her home. Last year we joined some friends in San Antonio for one the week after Christmas and brought home a few dozen.

This was the first time I've attempted the vegetarian masa version. Most masa gets the great flavor from the lard, of course, so I was searching for a way to bring in extra flavor to these. I took the advice of Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger and added stock and salsa to the masa harina as I mixed it. Of course, they add chicken stock, but vegetable stock worked great.

I've already decided I am going to get really good at this. All it takes is practice. And a devil may care attitude to fat content. ;)

Have always loved--sadly, only from afar--the whole idea of a big close-knit group making tamales for the holidays. And it's a food I just adore. This year I decided I might try to put a tamalada together and was going to practice, and got no further than getting the pork cooked before badly burning my hand. There went that. Haven't had time to get back to it since.

Vegetarian--Rick Bayless uses butter in his green chile/cheese tamales. Pretty up there on the fat content, of course, but at least it's not lard. Did you need more oil or anything in your masa, using only stock?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:45 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:
Bob Henrick wrote:Jo Ann, that okra looks so GOOD! Okra is out of season here, but frozen ain't bad, so Give me that recipe.....please?

There ain't no recipe, Bob. This is one of those things I grew up with and learned to cook early. We have a Mediterranean store that has the best fresh okra year round. But, what you see in the picture is both frozen okra and frozen corn. Here is how I prepare it.
SNIPPED

Jo Ann, We had this as a side dish one evening, and it was met with full approval from all at the table! Can't wait til the next time. Thanks for posting it, I saved it to file and will have it several times per year but especially when fresh okra and fresh corn is in season.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:57 pm

Jenise wrote:Have always loved--sadly, only from afar--the whole idea of a big close-knit group making tamales for the holidays. And it's a food I just adore. This year I decided I might try to put a tamalada together and was going to practice, and got no further than getting the pork cooked before badly burning my hand. There went that. Haven't had time to get back to it since.

Vegetarian--Rick Bayless uses butter in his green chile/cheese tamales. Pretty up there on the fat content, of course, but at least it's not lard. Did you need more oil or anything in your masa, using only stock?

Jenise, I used (*gasp*) Crisco as the fat in the masa. That's what Mary Sue does, so I followed suit. I had to buy some since I never use it. However, I do like the idea of butter much better, but it would have to be room temp or even slightly softer to incorporate as well (I think). I'll try it that way next time and find out!

I am sure my fondness for those large gatherings is because of my huge family. I especially miss them around the holidays because I so rarely get back home at this time of year. Holidays in my family are all about the food and being together, none of the other stuff really enters into it. I was so grateful to be embraced by my "adopted" family in Santa Fe. So now that I am in Tejas, I am missing *both* groups! :roll:
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:09 pm

Tonight's dinner is Beijing meat sauce noodles.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:16 am

Bob Henrick wrote:SNIPPED

Jo Ann, We had this as a side dish one evening, and it was met with full approval from all at the table! Can't wait til the next time. Thanks for posting it, I saved it to file and will have it several times per year but especially when fresh okra and fresh corn is in season.

Congratulations to you, Bob. Glad you like it. It's a very versatile dish. Sometimes my mother fixes it with dried shrimp and file seasonings, which give it a flavor of gumbo. When I want it as a full meal, I add sliced hot links at the top of the cooking and serve it over rice. I've also added canned black-eyed peas on occasion. I am partial to a bit of spice in my food, so a good dash of Tabasco or a few pinches of red pepper flakes makes me happy. Let me know how you change it to make it your own.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:41 am

Jo Ann, since you like a little heat in your food. You would be right at home here. My son does a lot of the cooking, and he does a very good job of it too. He especially does well with Indian and Mexican foods. I make chili that might be 4 alarm hot. Actually we have to either make two levels of everything one for he and I and a different level for my wife. We have a pretty large population of both Asian, Latino, Indian, Pakistani, and at least a some from Mediterranean countries, so we have good access to specialty ingredients for ethnic foods. I will undoubtedly do things to the okra thing that will change it, but hopefully only make it better (for me) And, I will report it too. Thanks again.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:09 pm

Lima beans braised with onions, garlic, butter and sage and black, red and Sichuan peppers. With ciabatta rolls and a salad, it's a sufficiently hearty veggie dish to serve as a main course. 

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:01 pm

Polenta with Point Reyes blue cheese and Swiss chard sautéed with garlic. The Swiss chard is still thriving in our garden in the week before Christmas even after a couple of frosts.

no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:02 am

Polenta with Point Reyes blue cheese and Swiss chard sautéed with garlic.

Now, Robin - that looks very nice. I must make a version of that for the Francophile's vegetarian daughter-in-law.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:25 pm

We enjoyed our own sem-homemade pizza tonight and washed it down with an '08 Secco-Bertani Valpolicella Valantena Ripasso. Great dinner; great wine to go with it.
no avatar
User

Tim McG

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:43 pm

Gateway to the Sequoias, California

by Tim McG » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:08 pm

Does anyone have a Prime Rib seasoning recipe to share? Au jus recipe, too?

Tanx!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:14 pm

Tim McG wrote:Does anyone have a Prime Rib seasoning recipe to share? Au jus recipe, too?

Tim, this came up on my Louisville foodie forum this week, and a chef at a local culinary college posted a procedure that the recipient said came out great. Here's a link to the thread - you should be able to read it without having to join the forum:

http://forums.louisvillehotbytes.com/vi ... =4&t=18392
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:07 am

Carl Eppig wrote:We enjoyed our own sem-homemade pizza tonight

I do not know what this means. I understand all the individual words, but it makes no sense. :lol:
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:50 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Carl Eppig wrote:We enjoyed our own sem-homemade pizza tonight

I do not know what this means. I understand all the individual words, but it makes no sense. :lol:

Maybe Carl didn't make his own pepperoni? :)

Merry Christmas/Happy Hannukah to the two of you. Heck I will just go ahead and wish it all for all of Austin.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Tim McG wrote:Does anyone have a Prime Rib seasoning recipe to share? Au jus recipe, too?

Tim, this came up on my Louisville foodie forum this week, and a chef at a local culinary college posted a procedure that the recipient said came out great. Here's a link to the thread - you should be able to read it without having to join the forum:

* 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
* 4 tablespoons olive oil
* 1-1/2 tablespoons Lawry's Seasoned Salt
* 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
no avatar
User

Tim McG

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:43 pm

Gateway to the Sequoias, California

by Tim McG » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Thanks, Robin.

Looks pretty easy...I'll give it a go!

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

* 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
* 4 tablespoons olive oil
* 1-1/2 tablespoons Lawry's Seasoned Salt
* 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper

Thank you, as well. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:53 pm

Root veggie stew of carrots, parsnips, turnips and potatoes with a battuto of onions, celery and garlic. 

no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:58 am

Wow...I could eat that. Robin, what is the difference between a Battuto and a Soffritto?

Drew
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:04 am

Drew Hall wrote:Wow...I could eat that. Robin, what is the difference between a Battuto and a Soffritto?

Drew

That's a truly great question, Drew! I had to stop and think. The short answer is that battuto, soffritto or mirepoix all mean about the same thing: A mix of chopped veggies that's sautéed and used as a flavor base to start many Italian and French dishes. Then, once you got me thinking about it, I'm pretty sure I'm remembering correctly that battuto literally means the raw chopped veggies, while soffritto is the sautéed result. But they're pretty much used interchangeably.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:52 am

Robin Garr wrote:Root veggie stew of carrots, parsnips, turnips and potatoes with a battuto of onions, celery and garlic. 

Robin, that picture looks as if it might haved some chicken or pork in it. Does it, or is it totally meatless? How did you make the gravy? Thanks.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:13 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Root veggie stew of carrots, parsnips, turnips and potatoes with a battuto of onions, celery and garlic. 

Robin, that picture looks as if it might haved some chicken or pork in it. Does it, or is it totally meatless? How did you make the gravy? Thanks.

Bob, it's actually animal-free, but there are some pieces of seitan ("mock chicken" made from wheat gluten) that I put in as an experiment. It was okay, but really the dish would have been just as good with the veggies alone. I chopped and sauteed the onions, celery and garlic in olive oil until the onions were well browned ("The Maillard Reaction is your friend," - S. Yaniger), and that contributed a lot of the color. Diced and blanched the root veggies to crisp-tender, then added them in plus the seitan, sauteed for a few, deglazed with a shot of ponzu, then added a bit of water and let it simmer for 20 minutes or so. Finished with a shot of hot sauce, a very healthy grind of Tellicherry pepper and a couple of tablespoons of hoisin sauce, which contributed the rest of the color and some good sweet umami flavor; thickened with a bit of cornstarch and we ate it right up with some 2009 Vitiano.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:38 pm

A dear friend of ours passed away this weekend and we're going to be unable to attend the celebration of his life tomorrow in Alaska, so last night we held our own Celebration for Steve right here. It was through Steve that we gained familiarity with some of Italy's greatest wines, including many a Gaja, so an all-Italian dinner was called for. We started with a couple antipasti with a pretty-darned-decent-for-$7-at-Trader-Joe's Soave. They were proscuitto-stuffed pickled green peppers that we picked up at De Laurenti's market in Seattle last week followed by a salad of butter lettuce and fresh basil tossed with a red wine vinaigrette served on a cold plate tiled with capicolla. After that we opened a good 2005 Tuscan rosso to go with beef bolognese sauce on homemade spaghetti.

Tonight we're hoping to have the baked ham dinner that didn't happen on Christmas day. This is especially exciting because it means that the big oven will be working again!!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
PreviousNext