Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: What's cooking?

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:17 pm

Redwinger wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:along with our family stuffed baked potatoes.

Sometimes, I too would like to stuff my family into a baked potato

Ah, I can assure they would not be as yummy as the ones our family enjoys. Better sentence, eh? :wink:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:50 pm

Crispy risotto cakes made from last night's leftover roasted fennel risotto with extra Parmigiano-Reggiano, dusted with flour and pan-fried in a little butter.

no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:15 pm

At the staff Christmas party this year someone made and brought NY cheesecake. It occurred me that I hadn't made cheesecake for years. So, I made one for New Years day dessert this year. I got this recipe for Perfect Cheesecake from the website SimplyRecipes.com. And, it is truly perfect! The only thing I would do differently is grate in about 1Tbsp lemon peel.
Cheesecake.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:26 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:Tonight it is Jambalaya, from a recipe I have had for a very long time and it is excellent.

I love jambalaya! Looking forward to a more detailed report! :D

I did the recipe for Linda's site Robin...she just got it up, so here are the details your requested. Just a simple recipe, but we love it - lots of flavor.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/KarenCalanchini/Jambalaya-RoastedLemon.htm
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:02 pm

Roast beef (eye round) with baked potato, roasted parsnips, and a vegetable pan saute (fennel, broccoli, mushroom). Making winter work for me!
:D
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Chik'n stir-fry with shredded carrot, celery, green peppers and onion with fiery Sichuan-style spice.

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:40 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I did the recipe for Linda's site Robin...she just got it up, so here are the details your requested. Just a simple recipe, but we love it - lots of flavor.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/KarenCalanchini/Jambalaya-RoastedLemon.htm

Thanks, Karen! Looks great!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:35 pm

Our New Year's Eve theme this year was "Renewal", so I made a Passover dish. It was a cauliflower kugel topped with toasted almonds. It was ok, but even with a couple of additions to the dish (shallots, notably), it was a bit bland and unexciting. Needed something to zing it up or to raise the richness quotient.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:17 pm

Salmon Burgers cooked in a little safflower and sesame oils, topped with spicy Hoisen/Sriracha sauce with pickled cucumbers in ginger, apple cider vinegar, red pepper flakes and garlic.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:29 pm

A simple, fresh omelet, fluffy and light, containing no more than fresh free-range eggs, salt, pepper and a splash of water, done quickly at high heat in organic butter scented with a little fresh ginger and garlic. A few scattered pale brown spots might still earn the wrath of a CIA professor, but I'll take the delicious taste of browned butter over an imaginary chef-instructor's rant, thank you. ;)

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:53 pm

Roasted curried cauliflower, florets cut in thick slices, then tossed with onions, peanut and sesame oil, salt and pepper and Madras curry powder, and convection roasted at 400F for 25 minutes, turning twice.

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:01 pm

Made my first gnocchi tonight, spinach with ricotta and Parmigiano. Served in tomato sauce with fresh oregano they were pretty damned tasty, and only a tiny percentage fell apart in the water! They also went remarkably well with a 2011 Huet Le Mont Sec.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:02 pm

Robin Garr wrote:A simple, fresh omelet, fluffy and light, containing no more than fresh free-range eggs, salt, pepper and a splash of water, done quickly at high heat in organic butter scented with a little fresh ginger and garlic. A few scattered pale brown spots might still earn the wrath of a CIA professor, but I'll take the delicious taste of browned butter over an imaginary chef-instructor's rant, thank you. ;)

We had an overnight guest -- and the omelet I made this morning looked remarkably similar to yours. But mine had chopped chives and a bit of Dubliner cheese inside. Pretty tasty.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:39 pm

Made Bob an omelet this morning with Idaho camembert and chopped broccoli. First thing I've cooked in a week. I'm still sick, but now he's sick too so he needed some culinary comfort which he can't do for himself. Have some 'country style ribs' that I'll oven-roast for later. Just a green salad with that. Bob's still hungry, though I have no appetite.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:51 pm

Jenise wrote:Made Bob an omelet this morning with Idaho camembert and chopped broccoli. First thing I've cooked in a week. I'm still sick, but now he's sick too so he needed some culinary comfort which he can't do for himself. Have some 'country style ribs' that I'll oven-roast for later. Just a green salad with that. Bob's still hungry, though I have no appetite.

I hope you're both better soon, Jenise!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:40 pm

Tonight started branching out in the winter pizzas as I'm already tired of canned tomato sauce sauces. Or, more accurately, my wife is tired of them and keeps talking about how much different/worse they are from the summer fresh tomato sauces (which we kept going through November).

So tonight was pizza with parsley almond 'pesto' and maitake mushrooms. Quite delicious and my wife was a very big fan. It went pretty well with 2011 Huet Clos du Bourg sec, although not as perfectly as last night's gnocchi and '11 Le Mont.
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:30 am

Last night I took a venison tenderloin from the freezer, only 1 month from harvest, and jerked marinated it then sauted in olive oil and butter until medium rare....delicious. Served with fresh green beans, asparagus and baked potatoes.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:28 pm

Last night was our neighborhood's winter progressive dinner. The night ended with dessert at our house. I didn't contribute any food, but my wife and daughter went all-out. My wife made little salted caramel pots de creme, chocolate meringue cookies, and financiers with raspberries. My daughter stole the show, though, with her tart. It was a chocolate crust with a layer of salted caramel and a top layer of chocolate ganache. She made a large, a medium, and a small. The large did have a slightly burned zone on the outside of the crust, but they were otherwise perfect. She got rave reviews for them.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:48 pm

Made a bucket of lemon-parmesan baked chicken. I suspect it's even better cold than hot.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:09 pm

Slivered snow peas and sliced onions scented with ginger and garlic and served over fettuccine in a light Mornay.

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:19 am

Saturday night I made beef stroganoff wrapped in crêpes served with a nice Barolo.
Sunday night I made the classic cheese fondue - made and served with a Picpoul.
Last night, Monday, I made Bul-Kogi served over rice. I had an open bottle of Pinot Noir so we finished that. It takes some time to make the marinade (a Craig Claiborne recipe) so I made twice what I needed so I could freeze some.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:41 pm

Tonight is a slow roasted pork shoulder with colorful bell peppers, onion, roasted head of garlic, marinated sweet peppers, fennel seed, tomatoes, smoked paprika. Recipe inspired by Jamie Oliver. Very pretty and not even cooked yet. Also, refried beans with a little bacon, onion, garlic, red taco sauce and Jack Cheese, baked in the oven. Served in corn tortilla with avocado, greens, and lemon flavored sour cream.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:44 pm

Another free-range omelet for dinner, this one stuffed with roasted asparagus and onions plus some grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, quickly made in browned butter scented with fresh ginger and garlic.

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:29 am

NJ and I are collaborating on making some bagels today. Hopefully with both of us in the same kitchen nobody gets hurt. We are still searching for a recipe that satisfies our "bagel jones", so we'll give Celia's recipe a whirl this time around.
http://figjamandlimecordial.com/bagel-making-tutorial/
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
PreviousNext