Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: What's cooking?

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:51 am

Slow roasted duckling, orange sauce, wild and brown rice stuffing, salad.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:07 am

Mary is making a tomato and onion tart on a paté brisée crust to take to a meeting tonight.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:28 am

Tonight we're having a vegetarian couscous with farmers market vegetables: summer squash, baby carrots, broccoli rabe, English peas and fava beans.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:44 am

Pizza di Scarole...just harvested the last of the escarole. Perfect for the double crusted torte of garlicy escarole, pine nuts and black olives. Fresh cucumber and tomato salad. Granite di limone. Perfect summer fare.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:00 pm

Grilled, wild salmon, with lemon, rosemary, tarragon, and olive oil, grilled sweet corn on the cob and a grilled panzanella salad (red, yellow bell peppers, sliced red onion, and bread are grilled) tossed with fresh tomatoes and cukes, basil, marjoram and a lemon vinaigrette.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:23 pm

Pulling together a recipe based on Facebook advice from Marcella Hazan: Zucchini stuffed with ground lamb and arborio rice, browned, then braised in a fresh San Marzano sauce. If it turns out, I'll post the recipe later.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:08 pm

We had absolutely fabulous charcoal and mesquite grilled 80% burgers, the best corn of the season (the ripe crops are creeping closer and closer), and wonderful sliced tomatoes along with a couple of our first Summer Golds; all washed down with a large bottle of Newcastle Brown. Way to go Tuesday night!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:44 pm

Robin Garr wrote:... Zucchini stuffed with ground lamb and arborio rice, browned, then braised in a fresh San Marzano sauce. ...

Worked out pretty well! I'll post the recipe later on.
zukeboats.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:42 pm

I haven't made these in a couple of years, but I like to take really big zucchinis - cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and bake (or nuke) until cooked. Sautee onions, garlic, tomatoes and sweet peppers (herbs of your choice) with Italian sausage and stuff the zucchinis. Top with mozarella and bake until cheese starts to brown.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:33 am

Robin, are they your homegrown San Marzanos? They look wonderful!
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:50 am

In my continuing endeavour to use up the CSA veggies, I baked a dish of layered zucchini, yellow squash & thinly sliced chicken breast with some highly herbed/garlic infused tomato sauce. It turned out a touch watery the first night, but the leftovers were really nice (lots of squash to use - too much for 2 people to eat in 1 night).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:25 am

Celia wrote:Robin, are they your homegrown San Marzanos? They look wonderful!

Celia, they ARE our own home grown, and they really are the San Marzano variety. Now, it should be noted that when I diced them, I tossed the pieces that had green or white bits attached. ;)
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:31 pm

Were they hard to grow, Robin? We'd read the San Marzanos were a bit finicky - can't remember why now, maybe they tended to get more pests or something?
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:47 pm

Celia wrote:Were they hard to grow, Robin? We'd read the San Marzanos were a bit finicky - can't remember why now, maybe they tended to get more pests or something?

Celia, we got these as bedding plants this year from a friend who grew them last year and saved the seeds for re-use. They've been find so far. They did have a little problem with blossom end rot shortly after they started fruiting, but Mary zapped them with some kind of organic Magick (calcium, I think), and it sorted that right out. They're interesting tomatoes, sort of like large plums but almost cylindrical until they taper to a curly point. We used up a bunch today to cook with okra and onions, but I'll shoot and post the next one we harvest.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:54 pm

They're THE pizza tomato - don't know if you ever watched Heston Blumenthal's In Search of Perfection. He went on and on about them. :)

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:03 pm

Pasta Pommodoro--penne tossed in an intense sauce of butter-cooked fresh tomatoes with a whole lotta garlic and fresh basil.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:29 am

For breakfast this morning. I discovered whole grain wheat tortillas at Trader Joe's, only 80 calories and 12 grams of fiber. I cut it in half, crisped it up and layered a tomato and basil from my garden,and avocado slices. I spread some tomato paste from one of those squeeze tubes on the tortilla, a bit of salt and YUM. This was so nice after our 2 mile walk with the pooch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:41 pm

Last night we had kangaroo fillet for the first time - marinated in white wine vinegar and olive oil, then panfried and served with tortellini, spinach and homemade medlar jelly. The fillet was a little overcooked, but very tasty nonetheless!

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:47 pm

Karen, I wish I'd had your sandwich for lunch.

Celia, I take it Kangaroo doesn't taste like chicken...more beef like? Would you do it again?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:26 pm

Judging by the one time I ate kangaroo, I'd say it's a bit more like lamb than beef. It was perfectly fine.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:37 pm

WoW, Celia, I had no idea one ate kangaroo. :(
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:39 pm

Dang! We were out of kangaroo tonight :D but Mary took over the kitchen again, stuffing garden green peppers with the rest of a pound of ground (local) Dreamcatcher Farm lamb, bulghur and toasted pine nuts, topped with Gruyère and baked.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:45 pm

Yes, we would definitely eat kangaroo again, as much for the ethical choice as the taste (which was fine). It's very lean, which is great, but means you've got to be carefully not to overcook it. More importantly, it's a very eco-friendly choice, and it's very good for you!

A couple of interesting articles:

http://www.ccrc.unsw.edu.au/news/news/2 ... escue.html

http://www.csiro.au/files/mediaRelease/ ... roofat.htm

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:52 pm

Celia, as interesting as kangaroo is, it's the Medlar jelly that I need to hear about. I planted a Medlar 2 years ago and it has a very small crop this year. Surely not enough to do anything with but I am hoping that next year will be the year it "leaps".
How do you handle these fruits ? Is there something I might do with a dozen or so - probably only 1/4 #.
Mamma Mia !
PreviousNext