Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: What's cooking?

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:05 pm

It is windy, rainy and very cool in the north state so I wanted a casserole dish, with yummy flavors. Dinner would be done this morning and I could curl up with a fire, a good book and Jazi (the dog) by my side. I was inspired by a chicken noodle casserole I saw, but it was made with canned stuff. So I made a chicken noodle casserole from scratch. Chicken beasts cooked in a rich home made chicken stock made even richer by the addition of more chicken flavor. I shredded the chicken from the bones, then sautéed white mushrooms, shallots and garlic. Then a sauce was made with butter, flour, nutmeg, the chicken stock, white wine, and thickened. A layer of egg noodles went into the bottom of the dish, Layers of chicken, and the mushroom mixture on top and the sauce poured over the contents. Because I wanted bread crumbs and a sprinkle of Parmesan on top, I decided to experiment. We love, love a product called Oven Fry, which is a coating for oven frying chicken. I melted butter and mixed it with the Oven Fry and added a layer to the top of the casserole and finished off with the Parmesan. A taste test the sauce gave me proof that this is going to be very tasty.
Lettuce from the garden with the last of the tomatoes and a nice white wine will make for a nice dinner by the fire.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:32 pm

I made a corn chowder with cubed sweet potato, cubed ham, a little bacon, a chipotle (en adobo) and a bit of cream.

In the background, sweet onion, leek, celery, garlic, chicken broth.

Between the bacon and the chipotle the flavor was nicely smokey and a bit hot. Very enjoyable.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:40 pm

Yay! I got my iPad FTP app working again, so food photos are back.

Fresh fennel and onions with diced carrots, braised in ripe Sicilian olive oil with bay leaves, garlic and green lentils. I continue feeling mixed emotions about posting pictures of dishes that were delicious but that frankly look like a mound of brown. I'm hoping they're of value, though, to those who like the concept and might use the photo and detailed description as a kind of mini-recipe with enough info to try it yourself. Feel free to post your comments or advice.

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:26 am

Robin Garr wrote:Fresh fennel and onions with diced carrots, braised in ripe Sicilian olive oil with bay leaves, garlic and green lentils.

I made something very like this just the other day!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:51 am

Not all food is of beautiful color, however those of us who cook know that and take in the ingredients for their own value. Everything there is very healthy and it is something I would make and photograph. Your picture is great by the way.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:45 pm

When Mary cooks, we get more traditional food: Chik'n pot pie! Gardein chik'n, potatoes, carrots and peas, onions and garlic with sage and thyme velouté under a pâté brisée crust.

no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:43 pm

That's my kind of meal, Robin. Yum. :mrgreen:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:42 pm

Last night was pork belly in red sauce over sticky rice served with green salad and miso vinaigrette. It was really yummy!

Pork Belly Prep.jpg

Cooked Pork Belly.jpg

Belly Bowl.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:14 pm

Tonight it is a cross-rib roast, rubbed down with balsamic, evoo, fresh rosemary, thyme, garlic, roasted to medium rare. Also, Yukon Gold potatoes roasted in evoo, garlic, fresh lemon juice and oregano, and water. Potatoes are roasted on high heat, until bottoms are crispy, turned and roasted to crispy again. They become infused with the garlic and lemon. A plate of heirloom tomatoes, scattered with Black Price cherry tomatoes, sprinkled with red wine vinegar and tarragon.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:07 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Last night was pork belly in red sauce over sticky rice served with green salad and miso vinaigrette. It was really yummy!

Absolutely fantastic, Jo Ann. Love your presentation--so humble it makes the dish look a lot more simple than it really is, and that speaks for so much Asian cooking.

I ended up making a nutmeggy veal and oat meat loaf last night that I served under a pile of fresh chanterelles. Prettiest, cleanest I've ever seen and purchased at the Whole Foods in Lynwood. My cat's hospital is nearby and we're there often so we've been able to pick up more interesting stuff for the table lately than what's available up here. However, Lynwood's not exactly Bellevue so the variety is pretty pedestrian even compared to, say, the Roosevelt store.

Not cooking tonight: going to a Cowboy Ball at a converted chicken coop in the local countryside. Food is being catered by a local smokehouse. I've going in style: got a pink cowboy hat, a pink toy six-shooter and a cowboy boot to drink out of. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:43 pm

mise en place for tonight's mushroom risotto. Spiraling out from the center counter-clockwise, crimini mushrooms, onion, garlic, kosher salt and Telicherry pepper, grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and butter, mushroom stems for the broth, Tuscan olive oil and Arborio rice.

The finished mushroom risotto. It's ... brown. But it's delicious, so that's okay.

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:00 pm

Dinner tonight as posted above, Cross-Rib roast with Greek Potatoes. A surprise twist we loved, was the tomatoes with red wine vinegar and French Tarragon. They were left to marinate for about 30 minutes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:56 pm

Big cauldron of ham and bean soup has been simmering for a couple of hours. It is sure to take the chill off what will be a brisk autumn evening here in the Ohio Valley.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Lunch was a fried rice bowl to make use of the last green onions from our garden and leftover brussels sprouts.

Dinner will be something made with the ground meat ball I took out of the freezer. I have no idea what kind it is (that is, whether it's beef or lamb) or what I'll do with it yet, but I decided that it had to go!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:22 pm

Wow, must be the cooler fall weather inspiring all these great dishes! They all look and sound wonderful.
We are on the first night of our RV trip back to CA, staying near the Pennsylvania/Ohio border. It's 40 degrees and raining. So glad I thought to thaw out a shepherd's pie I made about a month ago out of left over seven-hour leg of lamb shredded with its braising liquids, carrots, and topped with rich mashed potatoes. It was the ultimate comfort food.
The salad was leaf lettuce, arugula, pear, celery, walnuts and blueberry cheese tossed with champagne vinaigrette. I'm writing it down so I don't forget the combination. It was a keeper.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:46 pm

The salad was leaf lettuce, arugula, pear, celery, walnuts and blueberry cheese tossed with champagne vinaigrette. I'm writing it down so I don't forget the combination. It was a keeper.

Carrie, this combo sounds great. The blueberry cheese sounds like something I might find at Trader Joe's? How long does it take you to get to CA?
Have a safe trip.Is you place there in any danger from the big storm?
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:47 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:

Carrie, this combo sounds great. The blueberry cheese sounds like something I might find at Trader Joe's? How long does it take you to get to CA?
Have a safe trip.Is you place there in any danger from the big storm?

Hi Karen, it takes us five or six days to get back. We are driving through Ohio now and are catching some of Sandy's outer bands. We live about an hour inland on the east coast so hopefully won't have any damage. Our hearts go out to all the people in her path. Scary!
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:39 pm

Tonight's dinner is grilled halibut with pineapple salsa, zucchini cooked with shallots, garlic, white wine and fresh tomatoes. Fresh spinach from our garden sautéed with garlic and lemon juice. Also a salad of all sorts of greens, again from our garden, with a champagne vinaigrette.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:12 pm

Lovely butternut squash risotto tonight with a stock from dried porcinis. Cheese was Vacherin Fribourgeois and topped with a bit of parsley. Delicious and could have gone in many wine directions, but just water tonight.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:45 pm

A friend of our gave us a couple of pork tenderloins, so I cooked them up last night with a spicy dry rub. Served that with a potato gratin, sauteed broccoli, and some kinds of bright orange kabocha squash that was coated with cumin, salt, pepper, and a couple of other spices and roasted in wedges (as per Karen's kabocha).
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:13 pm

Tonight I am using up a bone-in chicken breast and two legs, which will be roasted in a maple syrup, Rice Vinegar, Dijon, butter and curry glaze. Served with Brussels Sprouts, roasted with walnut oil, then drizzled with a fig balsamic at the finish. I made Carrie's salad with arugula, celery, blueberry cheese, pears, but used pistachio nuts instead of walnuts, with a champagne vinaigrette.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:17 pm

Had to use up the last of the red and green chard harvested from the garden. Made a quick batch of crespelle and stuffed them with the chard sauteed with onion, garlic and a bit of hot pepper. Sauced with a reggiano balsamella, baked and then served with a streak of garden marinara. Sad to see the end of the garden.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:25 pm

Polenta with Italian-style "sausage," grilled peppers and onions.

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:41 pm

Tonight is a seafood stew with sea scallops and shrimp. Green salad with mixed greens, baby salad turnips in white and red, celery heart stalks, multi-colored cherry tomatoes with a citrus vinaigrette, and fresh baked ciabatta mini loaf.
PreviousNext