Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: What's cooking?

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:14 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
Jenise wrote:Dinner tonight: an absolutely stunning fresh swordfish steak purchased at Uwajimaya in Bellevue yesterday. Will probably serve it on lentils cooked with garlic, onion and tomato, a favorite of ours for swordfish. But I also might just do nothing but lemon butter. The simplicity is so suitable for a fish that such's a treat for us here (fresh fish outside of Seattle SUCKS).

I saw fresh swordfish at our local fish market the day I bought the scallops. My mouth was watering at their offerings. Now I will have to go back and get some. Must try it with the lentils you mentioned. I am determined to like lentils. I have red and French Green on hand...do you have a preference?

And I cooked swordfish tonight! I seasoned each steak with black pepper and dried basil, then smeared each with tomato paste. A few minutes on each side in a hot pan and it's Sorta Italian Swordfish. The tomato paste stuck as much to the pan as the fish, but it browned nicely.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:35 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I am determined to like lentils. I have red and French Green on hand...do you have a preference?

I'm guessing you already know this but I find texture to be a bigger difference than taste. Of course you can detect flavor nuances across different types of lentils but you can pretty easily dominate the dish with even moderate seasoning. I eat a lot of lentils and prefer red for the way they break down. Although for certain dishes the French green ones are better.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:25 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:I am determined to like lentils. I have red and French Green on hand...do you have a preference?

I'm guessing you already know this but I find texture to be a bigger difference than taste. Of course you can detect flavor nuances across different types of lentils but you can pretty easily dominate the dish with even moderate seasoning. I eat a lot of lentils and prefer red for the way they break down. Although for certain dishes the French green ones are better.

The French Green ones hold up better?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:42 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:The French Green ones hold up better?

Yes, even after long cooking they remain tiny little nuggets. Sometimes that is good but sometimes I find it tiring to chew.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:34 pm

Rahsaan wrote:

Yes, even after long cooking they remain tiny little nuggets. Sometimes that is good but sometimes I find it tiring to chew.

I absolutely have not had that experience! Odd.

And to answer Karen's question, yes either the du Puy (green) or standard brown lentils are great for the dish. Red break down too much/too fast. I make the lentils with chicken broth, onion, garlic and tomato (fresh or canned), and a bit of herbs d'Provence. The swordish is dusted with salt, pepper and a pinch of cumin before grilling. For wine? A Cotes du Rhone.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:36 pm

Bellingham Supper Club tonight, topic Carribean. I'm making an eggplant and onion gratin in which the liquid element is unsweetened coconut cream (St. Maartin) to go with a Chinese immigrant shrimp stir-fry (Trinidad) where the shrimp will be seasoned with lots of garlic, ginger, red chile and allspice.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:33 pm

Tonight is a family favorite...whole roasted chicken, stuffed with onions, fresh thyme sprigs, and garlic. Chicken is coated with butter, garlic and thyme and roasted on top of a bed of fresh leeks left whole, and onion wedges. I put together two personal size gratin dishes with very thin Yukon Gold potato slices, shallots, Gruyère Cheese, fresh thyme, and a splash of half and half over the top. Veggies are fresh spinach and whole sugar snap peas. Spinach is cooked with water clinging to leaves after washing,and browned shallots. Served with a splash of balsamic. Peas are sautéed with browned butter and fresh sage from my garden. Sounds like a lot of food, but at our ages, we tend to eat small portions and since Gene works all day in our yard, he definitely needs the calories and nutrition. We will have great leftovers tomorrow night and we both love that! :D
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:40 pm

Jenise wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:

I absolutely have not had that experience! Odd.

What experience? The French green lentils remaining solid or finding it tiring to chew? I haven't cooked French lentils in a while but can't remember ever cooking them down to mush.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:28 pm

'Tis the season ... for fresh asparagus. Tonight, an asparagus frittata with free-range local eggs, browned onions and garlic.

no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Robin that looks great. Had some myself in the past few days. Love that asparagus !!
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:52 pm

salmon0001.JPG
Dinner this evening salmon en croute: Fillet wrapped in spinach leaves bathed in garlic oil. Sauce is roasted butternut squash and red peppers pureed. Side of fresh asparagus with Italian herbs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:55 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Tonight is a family favorite...whole roasted chicken, stuffed with onions, fresh thyme sprigs, and garlic. Chicken is coated with butter, garlic and thyme and roasted on top of a bed of fresh leeks left whole, and onion wedges. I put together two personal size gratin dishes with very thin Yukon Gold potato slices, shallots, Gruyère Cheese, fresh thyme, and a splash of half and half over the top. Veggies are fresh spinach and whole sugar snap peas. Spinach is cooked with water clinging to leaves after washing,and browned shallots. Served with a splash of balsamic. Peas are sautéed with browned butter and fresh sage from my garden. Sounds like a lot of food, but at our ages, we tend to eat small portions and since Gene works all day in our yard, he definitely needs the calories and nutrition. We will have great leftovers tomorrow night and we both love that! :D

Hold those leftovers, I will be right down !
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:42 pm

Mike Bowlin wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:Tonight is a family favorite...whole roasted chicken, stuffed with onions, fresh thyme sprigs, and garlic. Chicken is coated with butter, garlic and thyme and roasted on top of a bed of fresh leeks left whole, and onion wedges. I put together two personal size gratin dishes with very thin Yukon Gold potato slices, shallots, Gruyère Cheese, fresh thyme, and a splash of half and half over the top. Veggies are fresh spinach and whole sugar snap peas. Spinach is cooked with water clinging to leaves after washing,and browned shallots. Served with a splash of balsamic. Peas are sautéed with browned butter and fresh sage from my garden. Sounds like a lot of food, but at our ages, we tend to eat small portions and since Gene works all day in our yard, he definitely needs the calories and nutrition. We will have great leftovers tomorrow night and we both love that! :D

Hold those leftovers, I will be right down !

I waited, you did not come....sorry, leftover wrapped and in refer for tomorrow night. I have work to do in the veggie garden tomorrow.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:55 am

Mike Bowlin wrote:
salmon0001.JPG
Dinner this evening salmon en croute: Fillet wrapped in spinach leaves bathed in garlic oil. Sauce is roasted butternut squash and red peppers pureed. Side of fresh asparagus with Italian herbs.

That looks quite nice!
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:52 pm

Bake Day..Sunday and raining....

English muffins and banana walnut quick bread
engmuf01.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:23 pm

Mike Bowlin wrote:English muffins and banana walnut quick bread

MmmmMMMmmmmMMMmmmmmm ... 8)
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:27 pm

Needed comfort food today. Made meatloaf, mustard greens, mac and cheese (cheddar and Swiss with a breadcrumb/parmesan topping), hush puppies, macerated strawberries, pound cake and French vanilla ice cream for dessert. Hi the spot. Yum!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:40 pm

Ken's Hunan Lamb

hunan_lamb.jpg
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:32 pm

I made enchiladas from the left over roast chicken a few days ago. Stuffed with lots of hatch chili's, green onion, garlic, and jack cheese. A red sauce over the top with more cheese. After baking, a generous sprinkle of fresh garden cilantro will finish it off. Served with a dark red leaf lettuce salad with celery, hearts of palm and avocado dressed with a walnut oil,thinly sliced red onion and garlic infused red wine vinegar vinaigrette.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:25 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
What experience? The French green lentils remaining solid or finding it tiring to chew? I haven't cooked French lentils in a while but can't remember ever cooking them down to mush.

No, they don't go to mush which is what's great. But they're tender--no chewing issues.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:54 pm

Jenise wrote:No, they don't go to mush which is what's great. But they're tender--no chewing issues.

I don't necessarily mean that they're difficult to chew, just that I find it tedious in the context of the meal. But perhaps that's because my lentil framework is more focused on red lentils that glide down the palate. Or maybe it's because I usually serve them with rice (or some other similar grain) and that then doubles down on the same chewing process in the same meal. I certainly don't mind crispy food and other textural things.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:25 pm

Last night's dinner was Jamacian-style jerk chicken.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:37 pm

Red lentil dal with shredded snow peas, onions, garlic, ginger and Indian spice

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Fettuccine with roasted fennel and onion marinara.

PreviousNext