Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Re: What's cooking?

by Frank Deis » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:51 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:My day's work - pickled okra!

Wow, Jo Ann, really interesting. I've been working through different ways to use okra (gumbo is somewhere on my agenda) but I never heard of pickling it. What do you do, the obvious thing, "just eat it"? Or is it used in cooking?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:03 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote: I like it better than a regular cherry tomato, if for nothing but the aesthetic value. But, there are others that I prefer for flavor.

Perfectly put, same here.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:12 pm

Pickled okra can be used in the same way as any other pickled condiment. I most often use it to top a plate of mustard or collard greens for people to cut up and add another flavor profile to the dish. Place one pickled okra atop a bowl of steaming hot gumbo, or any other Louisiana traditional dish -- it'll make you slap yo' mama! Martini anyone? Rather than those olives or cocktail onions, slip a spicy pickled okra into the glass. Slice and top a dilly deviled egg... You are all cooks, you know what to do!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:06 pm

Tomato, Basil, Cheese Tart with Crumbled Bacon Crust.

Oak Tree and Tart 020.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:27 pm

Redwinger wrote:Tomato, Basil, Cheese Tart with Crumbled Bacon Crust.

Beautiful, Winger. And, I'm sure it was delicious. Bacon crust, YUM!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:49 pm

Tonight, buccatini alla Amatriciana. One of my very favorite pastas when made with fresh tomatoes, so it's kind of an end-of-season dish for when there are suddenly have more tomatoes on hand than even a tomato addict like me can manage. A bittersweet kind of event, then, as it signals that summer is truly over.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:20 am

What kind of cheese? I'm trying to taste it with my mind. :)
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:00 pm

Carrie L. wrote:What kind of cheese? I'm trying to taste it with my mind. :)

Ricotta.
I re-heated a slice for today's lunch...yummmmm.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:05 pm

On the grill this evening is a backstrap of venison (harvested by Gail last November) marinated in Balsamic, oil and steak seasoning, along with pesto flatbread (made with Princess Pizza Dough). Too soon after Sunday's harvest to have chicken. :cry:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:31 pm

In the churn now: the last watermelon-lime sorbet of the season.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:39 am

Last night: big fat dry packed FRESH diver scallops, three each pan-seared, served on a puddle of a raw garlic-orange-tomato sauce with a mesclun greens and on the side, fresh Bow Hill baguette with local pasture butter. Dear god, it was good! I'd had other plans for dinner but a stop at the amazing Co-op in Mt. Vernon on my way home from Seattle changed all that. I never see scallops like that up here. Almost as good was the wine pairing: an Encruzado from Portugal, which I remembered as having an orange blossom scent about it. Well there it was in spades with that bit of orange rind in the sauce--fabuloso!
no avatar
User

Heinz Bobek

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Munich Germany

by Heinz Bobek » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:40 pm

The kitchen remains cold and clean today. We have been out on the Munich Oktoberfest.

1.jpg

A liter of good "Paulaner" beer with a huge soft pretzel

2.jpg

together with half a well grilled duck

3.jpg

and back home we had some coffee with a piece of Galaktoboureko (Sweet greek semolina cake) and homemade vanilla ice-cream
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:52 pm

Heinz Bobek wrote:A liter of good "Paulaner" beer with a huge soft pretzel

Helles?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:02 pm

Jenise wrote:Last night: big fat dry packed FRESH diver scallops, three each pan-seared, served on a puddle of a raw garlic-orange-tomato sauce with a mesclun greens and on the side, fresh Bow Hill baguette with local pasture butter. Dear god, it was good! I'd had other plans for dinner but a stop at the amazing Co-op in Mt. Vernon on my way home from Seattle changed all that. I never see scallops like that up here. Almost as good was the wine pairing: an Encruzado from Portugal, which I remembered as having an orange blossom scent about it. Well there it was in spades with that bit of orange rind in the sauce--fabuloso!

Sounds fabulous Jenise. I love Sea Scallops and these hand harvested ones would be a dream come true for me. I hope our new fish market in town can get this as a special request. That Co-Op sounds great. A group here in Redding has been working on that idea, they even had the building in mind. They wanted to bring in all sorts of fresh seafoods and source produce from all the growers in the area. The City has given them such a hard time....fees, restrictions (they wanted to have alley access for customer pick-up) that is just made the entire project overwhelming. There is still hope, however.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:35 pm

Tonight it is a family favorite and an unusual application for a tri-tip. The meat is well seasoned with Montreal Steak Seasoning, and Ponzu Sauce, then placed on a bed of baby leeks and red onion. It is sealed tightly in a foil wrap and oven cooked long and slow at 250° for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. This time, young carrots will be placed with the meat for the last 90 minutes. The odor in the house from this roast is amazing.
A side dish of Chili-Brown Sugar Delicata Squash with Pears roasted in the oven and to round out the dinner, sliced Cherokee Purple tomatoes placed on a bed of young, leaf lettuces, different varieties, both green and purple, with a drizzle of fig balsamic, and a sprinkle of purple basil.
no avatar
User

Heinz Bobek

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Munich Germany

by Heinz Bobek » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:20 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Heinz Bobek wrote:A liter of good "Paulaner" beer with a huge soft pretzel

Helles?

No it's something like Vienna export. It is made of the commercial Vienna malt. The original alcohol content is about 7 % . Vienna export with its coppery color is stronger than the Munich bright (Helles), but lighter than the classic Munich Dunkel. It is comparatively strongly hopped. Most comparable with the beer that today major Munich breweries pour at Oktoberfest as "Wiesenbier".
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:19 pm

In the kitchen now: 19 pounds of fresh raw whole salmon filets for me to prep for smoking on Friday. One filet was to become our dinner. I feel oddly sick to my stomach, however, and can face neither. This is not good.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:22 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:

I'd eat it!
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:22 am

Jenise wrote:Tonight, buccatini alla Amatriciana. One of my very favorite pastas when made with fresh tomatoes, so it's kind of an end-of-season dish for when there are suddenly have more tomatoes on hand than even a tomato addict like me can manage. A bittersweet kind of event, then, as it signals that summer is truly over.

My favorite also, Jenise. Did you make it with pancetta or guanciale and which do you prefer?
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:21 am

Robert Reynolds wrote:
Jo Ann Henderson wrote:

I'd eat it!

Me too! Yum!
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:26 am

My parents come to town tonight. It'll be so good to see them. I'm making my Dad's favorite...lamb shanks. (Sometimes I wonder if he is a little Greek.)
Well I had two in the freezer and went to get a few more but the store didn't have any so I bought a boneless leg and will put that in with it on a very low braise for about five hours. It'll braise with onions, shallots and garlic, with some white wine, chicken stock and fresh rosemary. Serving over mashed Yukon Golds and carrots and parsnips that will cook with the meat. Salad will be baby greens, apples, walnuts and Champagne vinaigrette.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:22 am

Serving over mashed Yukon Golds and carrots and parsnips that will cook with the meat. Salad will be baby greens, apples, walnuts and Champagne vinaigrette.

Sounds great Carrie. How did the lamb leg compare to the shank....any difference?

I did not realize until this week how much more flavorful Yukon Golds are than Russets. I have been using Yukons for years now and this week the store I was in only had little ones. I bought Russets (for the first time in years) to make mashed potatoes, they were blah!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Drew Hall wrote:
Jenise wrote:Tonight, buccatini alla Amatriciana. One of my very favorite pastas when made with fresh tomatoes, so it's kind of an end-of-season dish for when there are suddenly have more tomatoes on hand than even a tomato addict like me can manage. A bittersweet kind of event, then, as it signals that summer is truly over.

My favorite also, Jenise. Did you make it with pancetta or guanciale and which do you prefer?

I used an uncured local bacon that's not overtly smokey.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:31 pm

On the stove right now: tiny Seckel pears poaching in blueberry wine with fennel seed, cloves and grains of paradise. In another pan, wild rice is cooking that is destined for a cold chicken and jerusalem artichoke lunch salad which I'll serve mounded over red mustard leaves. And in still another pan, leftover peach gazpacho is turning into a fruity habanero granita. I am a happy girl.
PreviousNext