Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: What's cooking?

by Bob Henrick » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:04 pm

Ok, so I didn't cook it, my son did, and it was awesome!

I picked up a 3 lb package of Cavanaugh spicy smoked sausage at Sam's club and a 6 pepper package of sweet peppers, 2 each of red, yellow, and orange. roasted them under the broiler and cut them in a Julienne, Sliced the sausage in disks, and browned them in just a bit of olive oil, and when that was done he used about 2.5 peppers and a whole giant sized onion, 3 roma tomatoes, and sauteed them in the oil that the sausage had cooked in. when the the onion was soft he replaced the sausage back in the cast iron skillet, and hit it with about a cup of red wine and reduced to maybe a quarter cup.. Also made a pan of double stuffed mashed potatoes which contain green onions and crumbled bacon. I decided I would just have iced tea instead of a glass of wine. this is a dish he made up off the top of his head, and I swear it deserves a place in a list of my favorite 20 meals.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:20 pm

Bob - sounds like what I do when I make zucchini boats. I brown the sausage (Italian), removed from the casing, with onions, tomatoes & peppers, stuff it in a big, cooked zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, then top with mozzarella and put under the broiler to melt the cheese.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:38 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Bob - sounds like what I do when I make zucchini boats. I brown the sausage (Italian), removed from the casing, with onions, tomatoes & peppers, stuff it in a big, cooked zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, then top with mozzarella and put under the broiler to melt the cheese.

I've had your Italian sausage Howie, so I know it's good. Add zuke and cheese and what's not to like. do you roast the zucchini?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:45 am

Bob Henrick wrote:I've had your Italian sausage Howie, so I know it's good. Add zuke and cheese and what's not to like. do you roast the zucchini?

Actually, I nuke the zuke. Cook it in the microwave, cut it in half and scrape out the seeds.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:39 pm

A pork shoulder roast braised in apple juice, apples, French Thyme, and caramelized onions. Wild rice with toasted pecans. Rainbow carrots roasted in evoo, garlic, maple syrup and rosemary. Our Farmer's Market had these beautiful carrots, picked young, and in shades of burgundy, red, yellow, orange, and white.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:29 pm

Last night, I did halibut that had one surface covered with parsley, was seared on the stovetop, and then finished in the oven. Served it with two sauces, one a wasabi cream and the other a vinaigrette made with sambal oelek.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:52 pm

A Thursday visit to Vancouver's Granville Island Public Market netted the absolutely most beautiful smoked pork hock I've ever seen. It's the shank, but cut far enough up the leg to have a meaty diameter of about 8 inches across at the top. I had the butcher cut it in half for me, and I'll be roasting that tonight with sauerkraut and kale seasoned with juniper berries and apples picked off the tree nobody tends at Casa Ugly across the street.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:17 pm

Jenise wrote:A Thursday visit to Vancouver's Granville Island Public Market netted the absolutely most beautiful smoked pork hock I've ever seen. It's the shank, but cut far enough up the leg to have a meaty diameter of about 8 inches across at the top. I had the butcher cut it in half for me, and I'll be roasting that tonight with sauerkraut and kale seasoned with juniper berries and apples picked off the tree nobody tends at Casa Ugly across the street.

Jenise, I get big, meaty ham hocks too, although not 8 inches across (that must have been some pig) but I always braise them. Please tell me more about the roasting and the process you use with the sauerkraut, and kale.
I have a huge jar of sauerkraut from up your way that I want to finish up one of these days. :)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:42 pm

Last night's dinner was masoor dal and iddli.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:59 pm

Great minds think alike. ;)
Did a masoor dal with a mix of veggies, basmati rice and some Indian pickles for dinner last night. (Are there many better things than masoor dal in cool fall weather?)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:18 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
Jenise wrote:A Thursday visit to Vancouver's Granville Island Public Market netted the absolutely most beautiful smoked pork hock I've ever seen. It's the shank, but cut far enough up the leg to have a meaty diameter of about 8 inches across at the top. I had the butcher cut it in half for me, and I'll be roasting that tonight with sauerkraut and kale seasoned with juniper berries and apples picked off the tree nobody tends at Casa Ugly across the street.

Jenise, I get big, meaty ham hocks too, although not 8 inches across (that must have been some pig) but I always braise them. Please tell me more about the roasting and the process you use with the sauerkraut, and kale.
I have a huge jar of sauerkraut from up your way that I want to finish up one of these days. :)

The dish/method is German and often involves sausages too, and it's called Charcroute. I just put all the ingredients in a baking dish, sometimes including new potatoes, or sometimes a lot of green beans, and throw that in the oven covered for about two hours. This time I added kale two ways, to the sauerkraut at the start of cooking and later, as a fresh garnish, tossed with olive oil and salt. I love the color, contrast and health value provided by the second kale. Here's a picture of one of our plates. Bear in mind, that's only HALF of one hock.

IMG_2898.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:20 pm

Last night's dinner: hamachi and toro sashimi with bamboo/snow pea salad.

IMG_2904.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:12 pm

A hearty autumn risotto made with cabbage, limas, browned onions and garlic. 

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:44 pm

I would love that risotto, Robin!

No idea what I'm cooking today...yet.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:06 pm

Jenise wrote:I would love that risotto, Robin!

No idea what I'm cooking today...yet.

We're dining out tonight with Utah Jim Cassidy! 8)
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:10 pm

I used the last of my garden tomatoes to ripen on my countertop to make a light dinner for myself last night. I needed to add a few store bought romas to make the tomato tart from Once Upon a Tart. The crust is to die for. I used my own mixture of Herbs de Provence with just a hint of lavender. Had a huge slice with my tea for breakfast this morning. Yum! :D

Tasty Tomato Tart.jpg

Tomato Tart.jpg
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:15 pm

Jo Ann, that looks straight from heaven. Share the recipe?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:09 am

My wife returned tonight from a week-long trip to Boston. She's catching a cold, so she wanted meat loaf and mashed potatoes. The meat loaf was my standard one with some sambal oelek added for spice. Threw some porcini and some wasabi powder into the potatoes, which worked very nicely. Also sauteed some broccolini with a little fish sauce. She's feeling better already.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:38 am

Jenise wrote:Jo Ann, that looks straight from heaven. Share the recipe?

I sure hope she does too Jenise. I am still getting tomatoes (mostly heirlooms) from "Grandpa's Garden". Of late I have made 15 quarts of basic tomato sauce, and probably that many quarts of roasted tomatoes. Even tried my hand at drying (in the oven) some sliced tomatoes, great flavor.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:33 pm

It is the recipe posted earlier this summer HERE by Karen.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:08 pm

Jo Ann, thanks. Just reposted it.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:49 pm

An autumn dinner of our garden's last bounty before this week’s frost: Swiss chard, tomatoes, onions and garlic with Israeli couscous.

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:20 pm

Cold and blustery day here, so I made a Moroccan lamb stew that was flavored with cinnamon, allspice, and oranges. Served it over couscous with an onion-anchovy tart on the side (aka pissaladiere). Stew was excellent. I messed up on the tart a bit - it could have been better. Still, a very good meal.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:16 am

T'Giving cookery has begun. Today I made the cranberry sauce (with Cointreau and walnuts), cinnamon ice cream (thanks, again, Mike F), and the goo for a pistachio ice cream (thanks David Lebovitz).

I will churn the goo tomorrow and, if I'm really organized, simmer the quinces for the quince and apple pie that's scheduled for Wednesday baking (along with the pumpkin pie and the smoky pumpkin soup).
PreviousNext