Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Reprise: Fast Food Chains you could eat at.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Reprise: Fast Food Chains you could eat at.

by Hoke » Tue May 29, 2012 11:34 am

Stimulated by some comments in the neighbor thread about Dickey's BBQ and fast food chains, it's time to update our "What fast food chains are good enough to frequent".

Where do you go with fast foods? What's good enough to get by>
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Reprise: Fast Food Chains you could eat at.

by Jeff Grossman » Tue May 29, 2012 11:58 am

Subway's is the only chain I gladly eat at. The bread isn't very good but the sandwich fillings are varied and they basically heap a salad on top of it.

The fast food I eat most often (weekly) is pizza but here in NYC there are numerous Mom & Pop places so I don't have to pay for junk like Domino's, et alia.

I will occasionally (1-2 times/yr) get fried chicken from Popeye's.

If I want a burger I find a diner.

NYC does not have good Mexican food of any caliber (...I suppose there must be an exception somewhere but I haven't found it).

I think I've dispatched all the usual categories, eh?
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Tue May 29, 2012 12:02 pm

I don't mind eating at Subway and Chipotle every now and then.

If I lived on the west coast, I'd have no problem eating at In-n-Out Burger.

I have no problems making burgers myself when I feel like one, or ordering good pizza from the likes of Pepe's nearby rather than bothering with the standard fast food options for pizza. Getting good Mexican though is a problem (and if Jeff ever finds a good Mexican place in NY, I'd like to know more.)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue May 29, 2012 12:07 pm

Uncle Maddio's Pizza, an Atlanta-based chain with about 30 units, is pretty impressive. They do a quick-fresh concept akin to Qdoba or Moe's with burritos, but the end product is a pizza instead. They commit to using locally produced, hormone-free meats and veggies as much as they can, and it seems to be a high-quality product, given the compromises necessary (conveyor oven) to maximize speed, which makes a traditional crust well-nigh impossible. But still, it's one of the few chains where I'll break my usual Support Your Local Eatery rule.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue May 29, 2012 12:12 pm

There's some agreement here!

Chipotle---definitely.

Subway---yep. Amazing, really, how much better they've gotten in the last few years. General quality is definitely improved. They're in danger now of going a little to Quizno's, but they haven't jumped a shark...yet.

In 'n' Out Burger---oh, yeah.

Papa Murphy's Take and Bake Pizza---freshly asembled, bake it yourself; not all the ingredients are fantastic, but you can make your own and bake your own and it's okay.
(Compare PM to either Domino, Papa John or ---uck ptooie, the excresence that Pizza Hut has become---and the pizzas are stellar.)

Arby's---no, I AM serious. Just for the "market fresh" sandwiches. Try one. Amazingly fresh and tasty and relatively healthy. I had to try one to believe it, but now I believe it.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue May 29, 2012 12:16 pm

Subway and KFC.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue May 29, 2012 12:25 pm

About every 3 or 4 years, I get jonesing for a Big Mac....there I admitted it!
When I traveled more, I never hesitated to grab a Subway at the airport.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 29, 2012 12:28 pm

Chipotle is my favorite.

I will confess to still liking the McD's fish sandwich. (A certain former editor of Saveur concurs, so at least I am not alone.)

Popeye's chicken and especially the red beans & rice are a personal weakness.

I can deal with Subway if I have to.

Most other fast food literally disagrees with me.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Tue May 29, 2012 1:00 pm

Boston Market
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue May 29, 2012 1:31 pm

Yeah, Chipotle or, once in a long while, Subway.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

by Jeff B » Tue May 29, 2012 1:36 pm

McDonalds for me. LOVE the fries and always have (I hope my arteries forgive me). And sometimes a Big Mac is the only thing that will hit the spot. And the coffee is also quite good. Usually.

I've also been known to devour several hard tacos from Taco Bell. They must have the crunch. Soft tacos just aren't the same...:)

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue May 29, 2012 1:59 pm

When we want fast food burgers, we usually go to local joints like Willie's (for smallish burgers loaded with glop) or The Squeeze Inn (for big burgers with enormous "cheese skirts" wrapped around them). For Mexican, we also go to local burrito shops rather than someplace like Chipotle. For large chains, I like Subway. Not really a fan of Chipotle although they're certainly much better then places like Taco Bell.

I don't think I've been to a national-chain burger or pizza place in the last five years.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue May 29, 2012 2:05 pm

McDonalds for Egg McMuffins if I need breakfast on the go. Otherwise nothing there I can stand anymore (too many Big Macs in my college years). Braums is an Oklahoma-based dairy store that went the burgers and ice cream route, and they do a pretty good burger. Subway is ok once in a while. Chic-Fil-A is always good (especially their lemonade). Hideaway Pizza started in the university town of Stillwater, OK, and has the best chain pizza in these parts. That's about it for me.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 29, 2012 2:09 pm

Jack in the Box but only for the tacos. Qdoba (a northwestern chain) for a healthy grilled chicken burrito. About once a year, KFC. McDonalds for sausage muffins and decent coffee if we have to get on the road with an early start.

In California, In n Out and Baja Fresh are both located close to LAX and we often grab meals there pre-flight.

A question for you Popeye's people: what's so good about it? I'm aware that this chain has a legion of fans (including Anthony Bourdain), but one opened here and we didn't care for it at all. Others seemed to agree as it closed in less than a year.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue May 29, 2012 2:52 pm

Jenise wrote:Jack in the Box but only for the tacos. Qdoba (a northwestern chain) for a healthy grilled chicken burrito.

Well, we've got Qdoba out here, too, Jenise. In a head-to-head with Chipotle, I prefer the salsas at Qdoba but the meats are superior at Chipotle. And of course we should note that what both chains serve is now known as the San Francisco burrito. :D

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Tue May 29, 2012 3:02 pm

Qdoba is also in Massachusetts.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue May 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Jenise wrote:A question for you Popeye's people: what's so good about it? I'm aware that this chain has a legion of fans (including Anthony Bourdain), but one opened here and we didn't care for it at all. Others seemed to agree as it closed in less than a year.

It's a franchise and the franchisee near you was incompetent.

The chicken pieces are fresh and a good size, and the pieces really are crisp and well-drained of fat. That's what attracts me; I don't pay much attention to their sides, although it is nice to be able to get rice instead of fries. If I'm near home, I will take the chicken home and warm up a pot of Sal's Sauce.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue May 29, 2012 3:04 pm

Jenise wrote:A question for you Popeye's people: what's so good about it? I'm aware that this chain has a legion of fans (including Anthony Bourdain), but one opened here and we didn't care for it at all. Others seemed to agree as it closed in less than a year.

We ate fast food back when Tom was young enough to want the happy meals etc. Since then, we rarely have an occasion. I was drawn to Popeye's by the side dishes, notably a credible approximation of red beans and rice (RBR), the standard Monday meal in New Orleans. The fried chicken also seems to have more flavor and crunch than KFC. When I went through my brief phase of craving the RBR I happened to go around mid-day on a Sunday. The place was full of African-American families dressed in their Sunday best, fresh from church. So Popeye's probably has a variety of constituencies, depending what part of the country you're in. There aren't many of them around here, but the ones we have seem to be doing just fine.
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Tue May 29, 2012 3:11 pm

For pizza I am a Papa Murphy's fan. I love the "delite" thin crust. For sandwiches other than hamburgers, I like Potbellies and Jimmy Johns. For burgers, I have always like Fuddruckers. ...and of course my secret passion White Castle!! Boston Market every once in a while is great also.

For Ice cream, I am a custard fan instead. I like Culvers. I find their pot roast sandwich edible as well.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 29, 2012 3:51 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:When we want fast food burgers, we usually go to local joints like Willie's (for smallish burgers loaded with glop) or The Squeeze Inn (for big burgers with enormous "cheese skirts" wrapped around them). For Mexican, we also go to local burrito shops rather than someplace like Chipotle.

Must be nice to have those options. We have a really good true Mexican place near us, but they are anything but fast.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue May 29, 2012 3:55 pm

Interesting to hear the talk about Subway improving in recent years. I haven't eaten there in years and always considered it equal to all the other wretched sandwich places with fake vegetables placed on cardboard bread. I.E. edible when there are no other options. Nice to know that it is distinguishing itself for something more than those Jared commercials.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue May 29, 2012 4:19 pm

The only fast food chain around here I've eaten at in last 5 years is the Popeyes a couple of times-I find the chicken quite good.
I like In n Out when on interstate in CA. The only time I really eat fast food from a national chain is long car trips, which is the closest I get to "food as fuel". I generally then prefer Wendys or in a pinch MacDs to the godawful BK, Subway (I can't get past that bread), etc. Frankly we choose those as national chains tend to be quicker and more likely to have clean restrooms than non-chain options/
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue May 29, 2012 5:09 pm

Dale Williams wrote:... The only time I really eat fast food from a national chain is long car trips, which is the closest I get to "food as fuel"... I generally then prefer Wendys or in a pinch MacDs to the godawful BK, Subway (I can't get past that bread), etc. Frankly we choose those as national chains tend to be quicker and more likely to have clean restrooms than non-chain options/
Hit the nail on the head Dale. Another thing I considered is if I'm going to eat while driving. I once tried to eat a Subway while driving and and half the sandwich ended up in my lap. Burgers with lettuce and tomatoes can be a problem. I think the easiest food to eat while driving is Arby's.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue May 29, 2012 9:02 pm

Jeff B wrote:McDonalds for me. LOVE the fries and always have (I hope my arteries forgive me). And sometimes a Big Mac is the only thing that will hit the spot. And the coffee is also quite good. Usually.

I've also been known to devour several hard tacos from Taco Bell. They must have the crunch. Soft tacos just aren't the same...:)

Jeff

You must be among the great underprivileged of the world :( and have never eaten a decent taco. Taco Bell is a tenant on a piece of property I own but I can't force myself to eat their food. Not on a bet. They do pay their rent on time and are fine tenants.
Next