Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Reprise: Fast Food Chains you could eat at.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

Re: Reprise: Fast Food Chains you could eat at.

by Shaji M » Tue May 29, 2012 9:07 pm

Locally: El Pollo Loco, Port of Subs, In n out. When we go across the hill to Sacramento and beyond, Chipotle becomes an option. While traveling we often stop at Ikeda's (not IKEA, although I like several items on their menu as well)..but I am digressing from the fast food chain theme..oh well!
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

by Jeff B » Tue May 29, 2012 9:11 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:
Jeff B wrote:McDonalds for me. LOVE the fries and always have (I hope my arteries forgive me). And sometimes a Big Mac is the only thing that will hit the spot. And the coffee is also quite good. Usually.

I've also been known to devour several hard tacos from Taco Bell. They must have the crunch. Soft tacos just aren't the same...:)

Jeff

You must be among the great underprivileged of the world :( and have never eaten a decent taco. Taco Bell is a tenant on a piece of property I own but I can't force myself to eat their food. Not on a bet. They do pay their rent on time and are fine tenants.

I probably haven't had a decent taco, but knowing my tastes, I'd probably end up going back to Taco Bell... :lol:

I must admit I was indeed raised to appreciate "American Tacos". That is, when we made them at home, we would use the simple hard corn tortilla shells and simply drop spoonfuls of seasoned beef into them. With some shredded cheese and a few dollops of sour cream, we were crunching away. Thus, my love for "tacos" that crunch. :)

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed May 30, 2012 3:25 pm

It is rare that we go to a fast food chain, but we do frequent Papa Murphy's. I love the Gourmet Vegetarian with the thin crust. For $9.00 I get a family size pizza to feed our (currently) family of three, and still have several slices for lunch the next day. A fast food place I visit here in Redding is Fast Weenies, locally owned and housed in a kiosk in the parking lot of a strip mall. I go there for the spicy Polish Kraut Dogs with spicy brown mustard. Very yummy! The ladies there make sun tea everyday during our summer months, and always a have a huge smile for us. They also give our sweet Havanese dog a treat. :lol:
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed May 30, 2012 4:58 pm

Well, as long as we're confessing.... 8)

I will admit, back in my route sales days, to frequenting the Costco locations scattered through my territory.

Best $1.50 I ever spent to get a Polish and a Coke, especially when I could heap that dog up with yellow mustard and chopped onions from the dispenser.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 pm

Hoke wrote:Well, as long as we're confessing.... 8)

I will admit, back in my route sales days, to frequenting the Costco locations scattered through my territory.

Best $1.50 I ever spent to get a Polish and a Coke, especially when I could heap that dog up with yellow mustard and chopped onions from the dispenser.

And don't forget the appetizers and desserts offered by the "free sample" folks!

:wink:
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed May 30, 2012 5:49 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:
Hoke wrote:Well, as long as we're confessing.... 8)

And don't forget the appetizers and desserts offered by the "free sample" folks!

:wink:

And did you notice that most of the people crowded around those free samples are people that look like they don't need any more samples of anything? 8)

I have been known to purchase one of those dipped ice cream bars after my hot dog on a nice sunny day. :D
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu May 31, 2012 12:22 pm

Thought about this and there really aren't any I'd go to voluntarily, although we have gone to Denny's on occasion when on the road, as the lesser of many other evils. Fast food in general is objectionable to me - a sea of insipid empty calories in the form of bottled cheese sauces and bland carbs. I'd rather chaw down on a head of lettuce, and I am a famous meat eater, than embark on one of those 1000 calorie offences to good taste offered by all of the chains!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu May 31, 2012 1:01 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Thought about this and there really aren't any I'd go to voluntarily, although we have gone to Denny's on occasion when on the road,

Wouldn't call Denny's fast food. It is a dinner house chain like Shoney's or Bob Evans.
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Thu May 31, 2012 1:34 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Interesting to hear the talk about Subway improving in recent years.

I guess I would give them another chance based on what I've seen in this thread except it sounds like the bread is still bad. For me a good sandwich can't start with terrible bread.

Edited to correct basic typos.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu May 31, 2012 3:30 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Wouldn't call Denny's fast food.

Maybe not. But it falls into that category of 'Eat Only When There Are No Other Options' and in my most recent experience three years ago the quality was atrocious. Much worse than the more reputable non-chain 'fast food' outlets.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu May 31, 2012 3:35 pm

Rahsaan wrote:

Maybe not. But it falls into that category of 'Eat Only When There Are No Other Options' and in my most recent experience three years ago the quality was atrocious. Much worse than the more reputable non-chain 'fast food' outlets.

I'd agree with all of that.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu May 31, 2012 4:55 pm

The few times I ate at Denny's, I really resented the long long wait for the very ordinary food.

I think my term for it would be a "=slow= food joint."

I've never eaten there but my son and some of our friends are fond of a non-chain fast food place in my town called the White Rose System. They pride themselves in getting your burger to you, with all of your quirky additions and subtractions, in the blink of an eye. And I have heard that once you've been there often enough to be considered a "regular" -- they will notice your car as you drive up, and put your "usual" on the counter as you walk in the door. They also over-air-condition, which many people think is a way to increase customer turn-over. They want you to eat and run...
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu May 31, 2012 4:57 pm

Hoke wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:

I'd agree with all of that.

Never said it was any good, just said it wasn't fast food!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu May 31, 2012 5:20 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Maybe not. But it falls into that category of 'Eat Only When There Are No Other Options' ...

+1, assuming that "Other Options" includes "gnawing off my own foot."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu May 31, 2012 5:49 pm

Frank Deis wrote:The few times I ate at Denny's, I really resented the long long wait for the very ordinary food.

I think my term for it would be a "=slow= food joint."

I've never eaten there but my son and some of our friends are fond of a non-chain fast food place in my town called the White Rose System. They pride themselves in getting your burger to you, with all of your quirky additions and subtractions, in the blink of an eye. And I have heard that once you've been there often enough to be considered a "regular" -- they will notice your car as you drive up, and put your "usual" on the counter as you walk in the door. They also over-air-condition, which many people think is a way to increase customer turn-over. They want you to eat and run...

Recently passed the Dennys in Bellingham which had a sign out for Happy Hour. Which means they serve alcohol. Big change from the days when I would occasionally go to Denny's for lunch when one was near my work. It was hardly great dining but I loved the grilled roast beef, tomato and cheese sandwich!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu May 31, 2012 6:03 pm

Only thing we eat at Dennys is the Grand Slam breakfast - we each order one, and SWMBO gets the pancakes and I get all the protein.

The patty melts used to be habit forming but I've sworn off!
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:17 pm

Hardy's for burgers
Arby's Angus three cheese w/bacon
McDonald's Steak, egg and cheese bagel (rarely)
Subway when I want a sub
I have yet to find a decent Mexican or Tex/Mex place in WV
I'm so far out in the country that there are no decent pizza places. I have to make it myself.

No one mentioned Chinese or Indian take out. Do they count?

I estimate that I have fast food once a month.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:45 pm

Alan Wolfe wrote:No one mentioned Chinese or Indian take out. Do they count?

Most Chinese and Indian are NOT chains, right?
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:58 pm

No, they're not, but if one must judge from what is available in WV, they might as well be. Same menu, same food, same service, same decor. :x
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:42 pm

Alan Wolfe wrote:No, they're not, but if one must judge from what is available in WV, they might as well be. Same menu, same food, same service, same decor. :x

Must be run by liberals. :wink: :twisted:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

CMMiller

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri May 19, 2006 8:22 pm

California

by CMMiller » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:26 pm

Subway is edible if you load the sandwich right.

Chipotle is better than edible; not as good as our better local taquerias to be sure, but a welcom sight when stuck in culinary wastelands.

Roti is a nice vaguely Middle Eastern formula - pick your grilled meet or falafel, ask for it on rice, on salad or in a pita, plus a variety of veggies or toppings. Fast, clever, decent.

Pasta Pomodoro is solid cheap Italian that goes beyond red sauce, quite decent farro for example. Not really fast food though.

For a while, certain Popeyes had decent collard greens and beans and rice. Don't know if that's still true.
no avatar
User

alex metags

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:55 pm

by alex metags » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:45 am

If Asian noodle chains count, then one that I go to once in a while is TK Noodle, which as far as I can tell is a Bay Area chain. I've seen it referred to as the "McD's of the noodle world." And unless unusually crowded, it is quick. I usually tell the waitstaff my order (by number) as I get seated, and 3-5 minutes later have a steaming hot bowl of noodles. 15 slurping minutes later, trot up front to pay the cashier by table number. Cash only. Not that exciting, but fast and consistent.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:20 pm

alex metags wrote:If Asian noodle chains count, then one that I go to once in a while is TK Noodle, which as far as I can tell is a Bay Area chain. I've seen it referred to as the "McD's of the noodle world." And unless unusually crowded, it is quick. I usually tell the waitstaff my order (by number) as I get seated, and 3-5 minutes later have a steaming hot bowl of noodles. 15 slurping minutes later, trot up front to pay the cashier by table number. Cash only. Not that exciting, but fast and consistent.

We live in Napa and there is nothing like your noodle restaurant in this valley. Wish there was.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:37 pm

alex metags wrote:If Asian noodle chains count, then one that I go to once in a while is TK Noodle, which as far as I can tell is a Bay Area chain. I've seen it referred to as the "McD's of the noodle world." And unless unusually crowded, it is quick. I usually tell the waitstaff my order (by number) as I get seated, and 3-5 minutes later have a steaming hot bowl of noodles. 15 slurping minutes later, trot up front to pay the cashier by table number. Cash only. Not that exciting, but fast and consistent.

We had one much like that here in Portland (where there are plenty of non-chain noodle and pho restaurants galore). One side of a fron-and-back Mexican place. Forget the name. It's gone. Now a barbecue joint.

Shame, because we ate there fairly frequently. Great place. Quick, upscale cafeteria style, woks going all the time. Well developed pan-asian noodle and rice dishes. Got large helpings, pretty decent spicing, and most of the faves were available---pad thai, drunken noodles, etc.

They seemed to be doing fairly decent business when we went in---mostly lunch hour though. Guess not enough business overall. Again, shame. A thousand percent better---grading on a curve---than most fast-food places.
PreviousNext