Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Parsnip Ratatouille (for Bob Henrick and others)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Parsnip Ratatouille (for Bob Henrick and others)

by Jenise » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:14 pm

I found this recipe on an Australian website called fooddownunder.com, and it had our adorably curmudgeonly Bob H. written all over it in three ways: 1) he loves ratatouille, 2) he loves to roast veggies and often includes parsnips in that mix, and 3) he just roasted a bunch of New Mexico chiles. This recipe combines all three elements.

Reading it through I would tend to want to at least saute the tomatoes lightly in butter before mixing them with the roasted veggies to bring out their sweetness, but that's just me.

Ingredients :

2 x parsnips - peeled
2 x rutabagas - peeled
2 x Japanese eggplant
1 x zucchini
1 x yellow squash
1 x red onion
2 tsp olive oil
1/8 tsp kosher salt
1 pinch freshly-ground black pepper
2 tsp fresh thyme
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
2-3 x Anaheim chilies roasted, peeled,
and diced

Method :
Heat a roasting pan in a 500 degree oven. Cut vegetables into 1/2-inch sections, dice and toss with olive oil and pepper in a mixing bowl.
Transfer vegetables to the roasting pan and roast approximately 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes. Vegetables should turn a very light golden brown. Remove from the oven; add thyme, tomatoes, chilies and stir.
This recipe yields 6.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: RCP: Parsnip Ratatouille (for Bob Henrick and others)

by Bob Henrick » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:06 pm

Jenise, you had me from 1930's ratatouille! (remember that one?) Now I have this one to try and try I will. I am thinking maybe this doing along with a 5-6 lb bone in pork loin (center cut) on the Kamado. It is no problem getting the temp up to the required 400 - 500 degrees. Do you think the roasting pan need to be that hot when the veggies are transferred? Sound really delicious, and yes, I do love ratatouille. More in winter than in summer, but anytime is the right time!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Parsnip Ratatouille (for Bob Henrick and others)

by Jenise » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:22 pm

I do indeed remember that, I posted it from MFK Fisher's book about young student/married life in old Burgundy. One of my favorite foodie books of all time, btw.

Sounds great with the pork roast. Btw, I reccomend you have more tomatoes on hand than this recipe calls for. 1/2 cup for all those veggies isn't much and I predict it would be too dry to give you that essential ratatouille experience.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov