Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Braised Baby Artichokes and Parsnips

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

RCP: Braised Baby Artichokes and Parsnips

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:38 pm

So baby artichokes finally arrived back in our market this week but I wanted to do something with parsnips. I ended up with both in a little braised veg dish to go with a pork roast.

Sauteed up an onion and some garlic
tossed in a 1lb of peeled, cut, cored parsnip pieces, a couple of chopped up carrots, and a dozen baby artichokes (cleaned, trimmed, and halved)
Added a cup of vinho verde, covered and simmered until just about tender and most of the wine was evaporated
Tossed them in the 425 oven in a separate pan from the pork roast for about 15mins

After removing the pork roast from the pan, degreased the drippings, and poured them over the veg. Not bad.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Braised Baby Artichokes and Parsnips

by Jenise » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:57 am

Sounds delish. The oven part, though: did you roast (brown) them? or were you merely keeping them warm. It would seem they were otherwise done on the stove top.

Btw, speaking of baby artichokes, it's something I've never seen in this market but know is something routinely available at Trader Joe's in season. Trader Joe's is coming to town, so there will be baby artichokes in my future, too!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:12 pm

The oven was used to slightly brown the veg, Jenise. Yup, it was mostly done on stovetop then popped in for coloring and flavor depth.

I love baby artichokes. They clean up so quickly, you dont have to de-choke them, and the flavor is great. Glad to hear they will be heading your way.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:36 pm

Sounds right, that's the answer I'd hoped for.

Re artichokes, used to buy em all the time in California, but then that's artichoke country. Food wise, the plentitude and relative low price of all things artichoke are one of the few things we miss about our old home.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov