Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What I'm dying for

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

What I'm dying for

by Jenise » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:22 pm

Grilled fresh swordfish steak served on lentils gently stewed with tomatoes, garlic and onions, accompanied by a good Rhone.

Problem: there probably isn't a swordfish steak with 300 miles of here.

What to do, what to do.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: What I'm dying for

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:22 pm

Problem: there probably isn't a swordfish steak with 300 miles of here.

What to do, what to do.

I usually have to order it from a fish monger....Sea Bass too.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:34 pm

Basically the only fish local stores carry is salmon and halibut. There is a fishmonger in town but rarely does he have something other than what the stores carry and when he does, it's not the high-end stuff. People in this town just don't understand, let alone buy, anything else. I'm ready to go with halibut but you've got a point, I should call Vis and just try to get lucky.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:48 pm

Swordfish By Mail (.com) ? :wink:
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm

NY

by Jacques Levy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:02 pm

Jenise, you live in the Pacific Northwest. Salmon would work so well with these ingredients; (ok maybe a Pinot Noir instead of Rhone).

Come to think of it, I may have found my menu for this evening :D
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:00 pm

What we are dying or is Baked Stuffed Lobster, and we're having it tomorrow night for our 49th anniversary dinner.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:56 pm

Jacques Levy wrote:Jenise, you live in the Pacific Northwest. Salmon would work so well with these ingredients; (ok maybe a Pinot Noir instead of Rhone).

Come to think of it, I may have found my menu for this evening :D

Jacques, you're absolutely right. It's just that since salmon and halibut are all that is available here EVER, I was hungry for variety. As it was, guess what we had? Halibut. (I did also buy ten pounds of super-fresh local salmon to smoke on Saturday (one white king, one regular king, both at $9.99/lb). Served it grilled with a beurre noisette on the du puy lentils cooked with tomatoes, onion, garlic, fresh bay leaf and herbs d'Provence, accompanied by a 2001 J. L. Chave 'Offerus', St. Joseph, from the Northern Rhone. We weren't unhappy--but swordfish would have been better. :)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:08 pm

Either empty your mercury thermometer over a slab of halibut to get the same result, or venture across the border into civilization to obtain the real thing!

I agree - tasty fish.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:47 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Either empty your mercury thermometer over a slab of halibut to get the same result, or venture across the border into civilization to obtain the real thing!

I agree - tasty fish.

Is swordfish readily available up there? I could not recall seeing it at any of the fishmongers in Granville Market, though you certainly have more variety up there than we ever see here.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:00 pm

Blue Seas a couple of miles east of me at Lonsdale usually have it (I called - they just got in some marlin but are waiting for swordfish - is that close enough?) Going the other direction, a West Van store 3 blocks away currently has it in stock as well.

That's 2 out of 2 I checked.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:06 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Blue Seas a couple of miles east of me at Lonsdale usually have it (I called - they just got in some marlin but are waiting for swordfish - is that close enough?) Going the other direction, a West Van store 3 blocks away currently has it in stock as well.

That's 2 out of 2 I checked.

Marlin! Swordfish! You're killing me.

Btw, these would be available in Seattle. Amazing selection there. But here in Bellingham? Nah. Halibut or salmon. Sometimes rockfish or cod, and that's about it. Barleans had fresh ling cod yesterday: probably should have bought some, just because it's different. Don't think I've ever cooked it before, though I did choose it a few years ago when I did that bouilliabaise terrine for terrine dinner, using it as a sub for monkfish, where it worked well.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:10 pm

F Word! Vis Seafoods of Bellingham ('vis' is Dutch for 'fish', btw), who didn't answer their phone yesterday, just called me back. (So much for "we check for messages throughout the day, so feel free to leave one!") They got fresh swordfish in yesterday. Also, Opa. Another absolutely favorite fish I've never ever seen around here. Damn.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:13 pm

Take a look - they have specials but this list is what they usually carry in season:

http://www.blueseasfishmarket.com/products.html
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:41 pm

Bill, that's fantastic. I see I've been missing an opportunity to pick up dinner on my way home from Van when we stay over. Lonsdale Avenue--IIRC that's right around the corner, basically about two blocks west, of Tina's hospice? I've always wanted to go back and shop that street, it's like an international marketplace with all manner of unusual things. I remember a Persian bakery, for instance.