Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Things Mom did that I would not do.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Things Mom did that I would not do.

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:20 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Carrie L. wrote:Now...how about salads? What was "salad" in your house growing up? Or was there one? Ours was a hunk of iceburg lettuce in a bowl and a bottle of Catalina dressing on the table.

When did you visit my house? :lol:

Did you grow up in NYC or somewhere else? Just wondering if Catalina and iceburg was a nation-wide phenomenon in a certain era. (60s and 70s?)

NYC. Sometimes it would be French instead of Catalina.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:37 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Sometimes it would be French instead of Catalina.

Us too! They were kinda the same thing, no? So funny to think of the "American" version of French dressing back then. I'd say it's more of a Dijon, Champagne vinegar, olive oil kind of thing!
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:25 pm

Carrie L. wrote:

Us too! They were kinda the same thing, no? So funny to think of the "American" version of French dressing back then. I'd say it's more of a Dijon, Champagne vinegar, olive oil kind of thing!

When I grew up, there was French and Italian. That was kind of it. If it was oil and vinegar, it was Italian. The word vinaigrette didn't exist yet, and only a frew very continental restaurants called something made of oil and vinegar "French".
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:24 pm

Carrie L. wrote:

Us too! They were kinda the same thing, no?

I think Catalina was a bit sweeter. Anyway, it's crazy-making to try to straighten out the whole mess among French vs Catalina, Russian vs Thousand Island, etc.

And while we're mixing ketchup and mayonnaise, the nice folks in Lyons are putting soft-boiled eggs on their salad... yum!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:12 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Carrie L. wrote:

Us too! They were kinda the same thing, no?

I think Catalina was a bit sweeter. Anyway, it's crazy-making to try to straighten out the whole mess among French vs Catalina, Russian vs Thousand Island, etc.

And while we're mixing ketchup and mayonnaise, the nice folks in Lyons are putting soft-boiled eggs on their salad... yum!

Not just eggs, Jeff, but lardons, too (bringing this back to bacon in everything), and plenty of them. Jean and I were very amused at the thought of what a vegetarian would do in Lyon when presented with a salade Lyonnaise :lol:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:03 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Not just eggs, Jeff, but lardons, too (bringing this back to bacon in everything), and plenty of them. Jean and I were very amused at the thought of what a vegetarian would do in Lyon when presented with a salade Lyonnaise :lol:

Heh. Probably scream and run away... maybe all the way to Toulouse for their famous bean casserole! :wink:
Previous