Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Garlic in a jar

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: Garlic in a jar

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:13 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Nine times out of ten, I reach for the garlic press instead of chopping fresh garlic. Are you guys 'pressers' or 'choppers'?

I do both, depending on the recipe. Press for vinaigrettes, chop for other recipes. Sometimes slice if I want a bit of garlic in the chew.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:09 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Nine times out of ten, I reach for the garlic press instead of chopping fresh garlic. Are you guys 'pressers' or 'choppers'?

I'm a both, depending on the quantity and end-use. I love presses. Fifteen or so years ago they went out of favor because some famous chef claimed a press "bruised" the garlic, but I say hogwash on that. It results in NO off flavors, just a greater intensity of garlic flavor that can dissolve and spread evenly throughout a dish or sauce quite quickly without leaving much in the way of solids.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:54 pm

Jenise wrote:The northwest end of my courtyard gets enough sun to grow tomatoes, blueberries and grapes, and metal fencing provides enough protection to keep a sensitive bay laurel tree happy. Damp we can do, have no areas that swim. Thing is, I don't have any extra space over there unless I take something else out. COULD dedicate a half wine barrel to garlic, though--would that work? The all-day sun side of the house gets whipped by north bound winter storms--summer-only crops over there, I think.

If you've been successful with tomatoes than you should have plenty of sun for garlic. Garlic can certainly be grown in containers like your wine barrel but you probably don't want the lightest of soils. Garlic is pretty shallow-rooted and will be easier to keep watered in summer if it doesn't dry out too quickly. Even the exposed side of your house might work. Depending on planting time and probably other things, I often don't see anything above ground until well into winter. Those little stubs have been covered by snow here with no ill effects but if you wanted to hedge your bets you could do what they do in colder areas and cover your bed in mulch. Garlic is very sturdy stuff.
Previous