Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Edmond Fallot Dijon Mustard

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Edmond Fallot Dijon Mustard

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:50 pm

Any of you Paris travelers know of this mustard. It was recommended to me. How does it compare to Napa Valley's Grey Poupon which I have been using for years?
no avatar
User

Taze Rowe

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:33 pm

Re: Edmond Fallot Dijon Mustard

by Taze Rowe » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:14 pm

I bought some in Beane this spring, although I am not sure why, as it is widely available in New York. To me, versus most, i is primarily a very hot mustard. Depending on your tastes, that could be a good or bad thing.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:31 pm

We buy it locally at Taylor's Market. It is more assertive than Grey Poupon, which I like.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:32 pm

Fallot or Maille are my favorite Dijon-style mustards, though I'll use GP if nothing else available, How assertive depends a lot on age, though the freshest GP will never have the bit of an aging Maille/Fallot. I also tend to keep a couple of non_Dijons (probably Germanic styled).

Just depends on what you like
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:57 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:We buy it locally at Taylor's Market. It is more assertive than Grey Poupon, which I like.

I've tried the Fallot against the French Grey Poupon, which is what we get in Canada, and the Grey Poupon is definitely more assertive (and I prefer the taste). The American Grey Poupon is made by a different company. If you're near the Canadian border, try the French version.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:18 pm

Taze Rowe wrote:I bought some in Beane this spring, although I am not sure why, as it is widely available in New York. To me, versus most, i is primarily a very hot mustard. Depending on your tastes, that could be a good or bad thing.

Taze!! Welcome back!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:20 pm

Ted Richards wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:We buy it locally at Taylor's Market. It is more assertive than Grey Poupon, which I like.

I've tried the Fallot against the French Grey Poupon, which is what we get in Canada, and the Grey Poupon is definitely more assertive (and I prefer the taste). The American Grey Poupon is made by a different company. If you're near the Canadian border, try the French version.

OH, now that's good information. Will put it on my shopping list, along with Red Rose tea, Quebec butter and the vegetable tortillas from Toronto. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov