Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Is it tomatoes and basil or tarragon?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Is it tomatoes and basil or tarragon?

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:21 am

Last week I watched an episode of Barefood Contessa with Ina Garten. She was in the kitchen of a French chef to cook with him. He made a plate of beautiful, multi-colored heirloom tomatoes drizzled with red wine vinegar, then fresh French Tarragon, coarse sea salt and freshly gr. pepper. Ina seemed a little surprised by the tarragon,,,,as I was. Last night when I recreated the dish, I was floored. Why had I never thought of tarragon for my tomatoes. I use in on many other dishes and love it. Actually, I like the tarragon, red wine match much better than basil. How about you...have you ever used tarragon to dress your tomatoes. I used a locally made red wine vinegar and it was excellent.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: Is it tomatoes and basil or tarragon?

by John Treder » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:23 pm

Oh yes! Sometimes I put both basil and tarragon in a tomato and romaine salad. Great with pork chops!
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:23 pm

Actually, I put tomatoes and tarragon together all the time. A long ago recipe I posted for my tomato bisque includes tarragon, and in summer I often make a variation of the tomato caprese using tarragon instead of basil and chevre instead of mozz. It's most excellent!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:05 pm

Jenise wrote:Actually, I put tomatoes and tarragon together all the time. A long ago recipe I posted for my tomato bisque includes tarragon, and in summer I often make a variation of the tomato caprese using tarragon instead of basil and chevre instead of mozz. It's most excellent!

Yes, it sounds excellent . Even though summer tomatoes are still at our Farmer's Market, I am already missing them because I know the first freeze is not far off.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:22 pm

Dried basil takes on a slightly licorice note that I find reminiscent of tarragon.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:03 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Dried basil takes on a slightly licorice note that I find reminiscent of tarragon.

Certain varieties of basil, most notably Thai Holy Basil, have a distinct licorice note to me that I also get in fresh tarragon. Both are good with tomatoes, but so are thyme and oregano.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:21 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Certain varieties of basil, most notably Thai Holy Basil, have a distinct licorice note to me that I also get in fresh tarragon. Both are good with tomatoes, but so are thyme and oregano.

I was hoping someone would say that! Thanks, Mark, for the opening: In my opinion, almost any green herb is interchangeable with almost any other green herb. The resulting dish will taste different, of course, but here we have tarragon on tomatoes, I've had wonderful rosemary pesto, etc etc etc.

I've tried to think of exceptions and the only one I can come up with is dill in gravlax.