Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Turkey leg...Cave man style or sliced off the bone?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Turkey leg...Cave man style or sliced off the bone?

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:17 pm

How do your present the turkey legs for serving? Usually, Gene has cut the leg off and put in on the platter with the thighs and sliced breast meat. I always hated seeing that cave man looking leg sitting there, but figured that was just me being silly and said nothing. This year, a twelve year old grandson decided he wanted a leg. He rarely finishes any food he takes and is a very poor eater. Per doctors orders, family is under instruction not to say anything to him about his food habits, so no one said anything. He took a few bites and came into contact with all those long, spiny bones typical in turkey legs and that ended that adventure for him. The next day, I took the meat off the bone and put it with the turkey meat we were keeping for our soup. That day at lunch, he asked for his leg again and I told him I cut the meat off the bone for him. He would have nothing to do with it.
It got me to wondering if anyone really enjoys eating the turkey leg, given all those pesky bones, and do you present it cut off the bones?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Turkey leg...Cave man style or sliced off the bone?

by Carl Eppig » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:04 pm

We cut as much meat off drumsticks and theighs as we can and keep the bones for stock.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:14 pm

I can sure understand kids liking the leg and I'd leave them intact if there were kids at the table who would love that kind of thing, but otherwise, no, all the meat gets cut off.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:41 am

I cut the meat off the bone if I think there isn't a lot to go around. Otherwise, there's always someone who wants to be Henry VIII (...or 8 years old, or something like that).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:01 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:I cut the meat off the bone if I think there isn't a lot to go around.

There's NEVER really enough dark meat to go around, though, is there. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:57 pm

There is never enough dark meat to go around. I slice up the turkey and put it into a chaffing dish (a la hotel buffet), and I used to segregate the meats into different halves of the dish with white at the top and dark at the bottom. The dark would always disappear first leaving a dish of just breast meat that everyone complained about. This year I sliced and alternated dark with white, with the bony pieces (wing joints, thighs with a bit of meat and that gristly knob on top, around the sides. Worked like a charm. There wasn't time in line to pick over the meat to get just the pieces you wanted. People had to scoop and keep it moving. All the turkey was eaten! :mrgreen:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:46 am

To this day my dad still has one of the turkey legs whole. With all those weird, thin bones that are in teh legs I find taking the meat off of the bone nearly impossible. It ends up a mess that is much worse than picking the whole thing up at one time.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:43 am

I'm a cave man, for reasons stated by David.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:24 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:There is never enough dark meat to go around. I slice up the turkey and put it into a chaffing dish (a la hotel buffet), and I used to segregate the meats into different halves of the dish with white at the top and dark at the bottom. The dark would always disappear first leaving a dish of just breast meat that everyone complained about. This year I sliced and alternated dark with white, with the bony pieces (wing joints, thighs with a bit of meat and that gristly knob on top, around the sides. Worked like a charm. There wasn't time in line to pick over the meat to get just the pieces you wanted. People had to scoop and keep it moving. All the turkey was eaten! :mrgreen:

Very clever!
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:09 am

I eat pizza with a knife and fork so guess what? No cave man style for me.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:23 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:I eat pizza with a knife and fork so guess what? No cave man style for me.

A cucumber fork and a grapefruit knife? Or, are you not so specialized? :wink:
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:08 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:I eat pizza with a knife and fork so guess what? No cave man style for me.

How so very, very, English old chum. Picking up a piece of pizza in your hand how reprehensible. :roll:
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:33 pm

I just watched the Turkey Feast episode of Jacques and Julia last week. His method of turkey prep prior to roasting was really educational to me. He took off the leg quarters and nipped just the last inch or so off the leg end (then went on to bone the thigh and stuff it prior to roasting) and he made mention at that point of the persnickity tendon/bones saying that, even with a pliers, to attempt to remove them prior to cooking is futile, but when roasted to completion they easily pull out slick and clean... making either carving or "Henry VIII'ing" them much more manageable.