Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

For mycophiles

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

For mycophiles

by Larry Greenly » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:24 pm

If you like mushrooms, you may like this site: http://mycopia.com/products.html#fresh

And, Chef Carey, there's a direct to chef deal.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

Re: For mycophiles

by ChefCarey » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:48 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:If you like mushrooms, you may like this site: http://mycopia.com/products.html#fresh

And, Chef Carey, there's a direct to chef deal.

Pretty spiffy site, Larry!
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:30 pm

Nice one.
It looks interesting, but I'm disappointed to see someone trademarking the name of a mushroom. I find this aspect of business very selfish and disrespectful to those that have previously spent time identifying mushrooms for the benefit of all.

Hopefully I'll be able to post some photos of the local woodland mushrooms we saw today. One quite stunning one. We haven't started trying to identify the pictures yet. Quite a few beefsteak mushrooms, though I think they don't need the 'beefs' at the start, as those babies are hard as teak!

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:13 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Nice one.
It looks interesting, but I'm disappointed to see someone trademarking the name of a mushroom. I find this aspect of business very selfish and disrespectful to those that have previously spent time identifying mushrooms for the benefit of all.

If it really is the common name of the mushroom, then there is no way that the trademark could be registered (note they're using TM and not circle-R), and the trademark isn't enforceable.

Perhaps what they're actually trademarking is the pictures.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:38 pm

Paul's right, but Tabasco did copyright the name of the pepper. The firm has, shall we say, a very interesting history and took no prisoners with competitors.