Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Your Christmas/holiday menu?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Your Christmas/holiday menu?

by Dale Williams » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:00 pm

9 people each meal.
Tonight: zuppa di pesce (lobster, monkfish, mussels, scallops- they ran out of razor clams!), eels livornese, calamari, brandade, shrimp, gravalAX, linguine with clams, broccoli, broccoli rabe
Christmas Day: tenderloin, capon, smoked trout and salmon canapes, Brussels sprouts, roasted vegetables
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:20 pm

Dale Williams wrote:9 people each meal.
Tonight: zuppa di pesce (lobster, monkfish, mussels, scallops- they ran out of razor clams!), eels livornese, calamari, brandade, shrimp, gravalAX, linguine with clams, broccoli, broccoli rabe
Christmas Day: tenderloin, capon, smoked trout and salmon canapes, Brussels sprouts, roasted vegetables

OK, Dale, that sounds like Sette Pesce -- is "Williams" really "Guglielmi"?!?!?

:D
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:05 am

Frank Deis wrote:
Dale Williams wrote:9 people each meal.

OK, Dale, that sounds like Sette Pesce -- is "Williams" really "Guglielmi"?!?!?

:D

I'm a real mongrel -Dutch (read German-Americans who changed history when WWI rolled around), Cherokee (read what poor white Southerners said after some black genes introduced), English, Scots, Irish, etc. But no Italian that I know of. But yes, we did Feast of Seven Fishes- am I a Soprano-wannabe? I've been to one before, but usually on Christmas Eve I spend midnight and after on streets (and can't have wine etc before driving). So when there was a full experienced crew for tonight, I thought my turn to do 7 Fishes (and 7+ wines).

Mark brought the shrimp and gravlax, I did rest (with lots of help from Betsy). Shrimp and gravlax outstanding. Batali said the eels were essential. Followed his recipe (baked in a sauce with caperberries, olives, etc.), great flavors but the backbones made a tough sale. Non-traditional calamari- Chinese style with Sichuan pepper-big hit. Salt cod was good, soup a hit, linguine good though I burnt the garlic a bit.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:54 pm

Hmm -- if I were doing that I might also stray toward Asian with the eels. Any good Asian food market will probably have the kind of fileted and BBQ flavored eel that is used in making sushi. It's generally sold frozen. Just FWIW I bet you could do a "fusion" version of more or less the entire meal -- certainly the fish markets of good Asian supermarkets are things of beauty, generally with live fish tanks.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:04 am

We ended up going with dry aged ribeyes from the market around the corner, along with leftover chard risotto (we hadn't really eaten much of it from a couple nights ago) and a salad made with roasted peppers, raisins, almonds, chili flakes, and garlic on buffalo mozzarella. The steaks were fantastic, as good as any I've ever had. The salad was very interesting - I'll post the RCP shortly.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:01 pm

Anyone else take photos? If so, please share!
Here's our dinner....

Bone-in prime rib roast.jpg

Christmas Dinner 2012.jpg

White chocolate bread pudding.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:45 pm

I spent Christmas with my mother at her retirement home and cooked Coq au Vin for the two of us, accompanied by crusty bread and a salad, with locally made Massachusetts truffles for dessert. We had Krug Grand Cuvee Champagne before the meal, and 1990 Roumier Bonnes Mares with the main course.

Celestial!

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:43 pm

Wow, Paul - I will love it if my kids come do that for me when I'm in a retirement home.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:27 am

Paul Winalski wrote:I spent Christmas with my mother at her retirement home and cooked Coq au Vin for the two of us, accompanied by crusty bread and a salad, with locally made Massachusetts truffles for dessert. We had Krug Grand Cuvee Champagne before the meal, and 1990 Roumier Bonnes Mares with the main course.

Celestial!

-Paul W.

Nice work indeed. I'm guessing other people in the home were jealous.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:18 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Wow, Paul - I will love it if my kids come do that for me when I'm in a retirement home.

I'm thinking of moving into a home right now (and adopting Paul)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:27 pm

Frank Deis wrote:Hmm -- if I were doing that I might also stray toward Asian with the eels. Any good Asian food market will probably have the kind of fileted and BBQ flavored eel that is used in making sushi. It's generally sold frozen. Just FWIW I bet you could do a "fusion" version of more or less the entire meal -- certainly the fish markets of good Asian supermarkets are things of beauty, generally with live fish tanks.

Actually, the majority of my fish shopping was at HMart (and the rest at a Chinese run fishmonger). I looked to see if they have the frozen bbq unagi (didn't see, but I always buy at Kam Sen, the Chinese market in White Plains), but really wanted to try the Batali eel recipe.HMart did have live lobsters for $5/lb, which helped budget. The big disappointment was the razor clams, another Batali recipe called for them and I knew HMart had them, but when I poked, they didn't draw in. Called manager and he agreed they were dead. So substituted scallops.

Yes, one could easily do 7 fishes as an Asian fusion meal. Though then you'd probably leave out the salt cod. But we already did Asian twist on calamari, could do a Cantonese fish stew rather than zuppa, unagi rather than eels in tomato sauce, etc.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:03 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Wow, Paul - I will love it if my kids come do that for me when I'm in a retirement home.

+1!!!

And Carrie, the color of your prime rib is my idea of ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!

Alas, no pictures here, was just busy getting it all on the table.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:22 pm

Jenise wrote:And Carrie, the color of your prime rib is my idea of ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!

"Warm red center." It seemed everyone at our table liked it that way, minus one, who requested an end cut.
Remember we posted about methods a few years back, tweaking the Cook's Illustrated version? This is based on that. Tried and true!
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:54 pm

My kids said they would cook the same dinner for me as Paul received but they wanted to put me into a retirement home when I was 48 years of age. I was wise to their ruse and refused.
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:46 pm

Boxing Day dinner was fun. Six people - all of whom contributed something to the food. There was the usual Australian Christmas mash-up of seafood, cold meat, hot dishes, and the inevitable Christmas Pudding with brandy cream. We all ate too much, and the leftovers kept the fridge - and us - stuffed for three days after.

boxing day 2012 1.JPG

boxing day 2012 2.JPG

boxing day 2012 3.JPG

Great wine, too - including a bottle of Kellermeister Wild Witch shiraz (Barossa Valley) 2008, which was elegant and silky, bursting with anise and blackcurrant and - for those who kept it in their glass long enough for the flavour to develop to this point - red roses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:58 am

Wow, Matilda. Great job. Is that the Christmas pudding in the white bowl? I don't think too many people in the states make that, but I'm always intriqued by it. Does it have dried fruits?
What's in the photo left of that one? Corn? Tomato?
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:19 pm

Matilda your blue willow plate is exactly like the set my Grandmother had.

It makes me think there are many other things than Language that bind together many of the countries in the old British Empire.
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:05 am

Carrie, that is the Christmas pudding in the white basin. One of the guests brought that along, and it bubbled away in a covered pot on the stovetop, reheating, while we worked our way through pre-dinner drinks and the long main course. It was delicious. I think this is the recipe that was used: http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/rich ... ustard.htm

That's a spicy chick-pea dish bubbling away in the steel pot. I took a shortcut by using two 440g tins of chickpeas, rather than going down the soak-and-simmer route. They were cooked up with chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, a few dried tomatoes, some onions and garlic, ground cumin and coriander seed, garam masala and turmeric. Don't ask for a recipe - I did it by smell and taste. It was great, even though I say it myself. :)

Frank, I love blue willow crockery. I've had the same set for years ... I think every piece has been replaced two or three times over by now, but I can claim I've had it for years all the same.
Previous